Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Warming up your car during winter in Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2007, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluelancer
I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The other day the temperature dipped all the way to -20 C. So of course I drag the wife outta the house with a flashlight on the search for the block heater cord. Well after some really cold fingers and some swearing I couldn't find it.

I go down to the delaer the next day and the girl at the service desk advised me that none of the new Mitsu's come with a block heater installed because you don't need one. Well her word wasn't good enough so I found my salesman in the showroom and he confirmed that the cars come with out a block heater and that Mitsubishi has done extensive testing and the engine is designed to start to -45 C without a block heater. He tells me that if I absolutely want they could install a block heater for $120 but it is not necessary at all.

I have never heard of a car comming without a block heater here in Canada. So, of course I start thinkin maybe this is a way for Mitsubishi to save money and offer the customer lower prices. I then called Mitsubishi Canada. The guy on the phone advised that the cars do not come with a block heater and in fact Mitsubishi does not even make a block heater. He also confirmed that the car has been tested and will start to -45 C.

I still wonder whats going to happen when we have about 4 days of -35 straight. Will she actaully start..... Thank god for roadside assistance, hopefully I won't have to use it.........

I also believe the manual advises warming up the car so the first bar of the engine temp is illuminated........

Also as an aside.. I bought the Michelin X-Ice tires and winter rims.... those tires make a huge difference. I am taking off faster than anyone else at lights and not sliding around corners.
Which dealership did you go too? I was pretty much told the same thing at both Vickar and Waverley dealerships here in Winnipeg. They attribute it to the engine block being made of aluminum (not sure if that would really make a difference, not much of an engine gear head myself).

Well, it's about -30 here right now so I'll give it a test tomorrow. If not, Roadside Assistance will definitely help (had to use it twice already. Trust me, they get to you in about half an hour! )
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the issue isnt with the car starting, the issue is with the oil and how long you wait to drive the car. if your oil is warm your warm up time is shortened and you can get on your marry way.

if your starting your car in minus 45'C weather and you drive off, you are chipping away at the heart of your engine little by little with raw contact
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:29 AM
Former Sponsor

oh and by the way, lol never listen to a salesman, talk to a tech or somoene who ventures out into the real world or head office world or something. I have been talking around asking about that whole GTS 2.4 thing and got different answers all over the place. I had to go further up the food chain to get the truth about what is coming out for next year once and for all.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
oh and by the way, lol never listen to a salesman, talk to a tech or somoene who ventures out into the real world or head office world or something. I have been talking around asking about that whole GTS 2.4 thing and got different answers all over the place. I had to go further up the food chain to get the truth about what is coming out for next year once and for all.
and? :P
Old Dec 14, 2007, 06:11 AM
Former Sponsor

lol actually I did post in the wrong thread lol
Old Dec 14, 2007, 07:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

OOOOOO evo soul got called out by a 10 post count person AHAHHAHHAHAHAHA that doesn't even have a lancer.. soo by default.. his opinion does not count
Old Dec 14, 2007, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by theblue
a BMW engineer was once asked why they don't offer remote start like GM and some others.

his reply was: "the worse possible way to run a cold engine is with no oil pressure"

something to think about
Even BMW employs idiots.

First off engine oil pressure is solely based on engine revolutions and what pressure the bypass valve will open at.

Being a new car and not many people having their oil filter plug up on them the bypass valve will remain shut on mostly everyones lancers.

Oil pressure at start up i am sure is upwards of 25 psi (@ 1500 rpm, which most of our cars start out at) If that isn't enough for you put your engine up to 2000 rpm. It will warm the engine up faster too.

As everyone has said before driving on a cold engine under load isn't the best thing for your engine. At least 1 min of warm up then putt around nicely wont hurt much. But the more you warm it up the better for it in the long run.

As for our non-existent block heaters. Is there even a plug or plate in the block that one could be installed? There are after market "battery" heaters. Which are basically an electric blanket. Wrap one of those around the oil pan and plug 'er in.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 02:31 PM

I live in Montreal..and it's freaking cold with more than 40cm of snow . I warm up my car for 2-3 minutes. Time to remove snow from the car and that's it.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 08:35 PM

either way is your guys shifting kinda stiff until its fully warmed up i mean til the temp gauge shows about half way up 1/2??? i feel as tho my tranny is ruff until its competely warm
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

This is a really old post obviously, I finally just read it. I bought my car back in 2008 though and when I bought it they offered and installed for free, a block heater without me even asking about it...just kinda weird that other people had this experience...always plug in your car!