Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

ROAD/RACE - 4B11 Header

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video..... both inside and outside of the car, window up and window down, 0 - 60.

stop talking and start recording.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by nunyas
what the... You have a CVT? or do you not have a lot of "stop and go" traffic where you live? I barely pulled 20mpg (city) on my last tank of gas. The vast majority of that was done in "rush hour" on LA surface streets (can't stand LA rush hour on the freeways). Then again, I tend to drive with a heavy'ish foot; I averaged 16mpg (city) in my last car which was lighter and had a smaller engine. Then again, I rarely drive with "maximum fuel economy" in mind. I think the best I've seen so far has been 34MPG, but that was an all down hill drive into work, and I got caught at ~maybe~ 1 stop light that morning.
I drive a manual, i have alot of lights around here but i time them right sometimes, i drive normal most of the time, well not really, haha. I live in northern Louisiana. Traffic sucks here too. Cant wait till i take a trip to New Orleans next month and see how it does.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hum on the mileage thing. Lets see if anyone else comes up with that info.

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
Hum on the mileage thing. Lets see if anyone else comes up with that info.

ROAD/RACE
Personally, I would expect mileage to go up at least a little, but not quite sure everyone will have it go up as much as it did for 06BlackES. I mean, better breathing = better efficiency, better efficiency = better mileage... unless you're gettin' on it all the time that is

Originally Posted by 06BlackES
I drive a manual, i have alot of lights around here but i time them right sometimes, i drive normal most of the time, well not really, haha. I live in northern Louisiana. Traffic sucks here too. Cant wait till i take a trip to New Orleans next month and see how it does.
How bad is bad? I drive a manual too. I have an 8 mile commute to work (one way) and in ~bad~ rush hour traffic it takes me 30 to 40 minutes... When it's low traffic and with good light timing it's a 10 to 15 minute drive...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:01 PM
Account Disabled

usually headers drop ur gas mileage. It killed my city mpg in my eclipse by like 4mpg. highway stayed the same. thats another reason y im ehh on the pzev headers besides the ses of death as well.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:22 PM

Personally, I would expect mileage to go up at least a little, but not quite sure everyone will have it go up as much as it did for 06BlackES. I mean, better breathing = better efficiency, better efficiency = better mileage... unless you're gettin' on it all the time that is

How bad is bad? I drive a manual too. I have an 8 mile commute to work (one way) and in ~bad~ rush hour traffic it takes me 30 to 40 minutes... When it's low traffic and with good light timing it's a 10 to 15 minute drive...
I have about the same commute as you do to work, in the mornings there is no traffic so i just roll at 50mph and it takes me about 10 min to get there. i just got home from work and i checked the display and it said 29mpg...that was with 2 red lights and not gunning it at all...just normal driving will give you good gas mileage.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

2 reds? how many lights do you have to go through? I think I have a light every 1/4 mile... I may hit 50MPH on a GOOD day, if I'm lucky. Most of the time I average under 40MPH. Maybe I'm not being as liberal with my 5th gear as I should be or something. I don't normally shift to 5th unless I get over 40.

Even with 20 to 30 lights between me and work, I still prefer to take surface over the "freeway". On surface streets I have a reason to be stopped (lights). It's just plain ~stupid~ to be going 20 MPH and sometimes STOPPED on a "freeway"/interstate/highway. That and even though I have a higher average speed on the freeway, it still takes that same amount of time to get there (thanks to it being twice the distance).

Of course, my trip home at night is all up hill, and it gets steeper as I get closer to home. So, that may be what's killing my mpg more than anything. If I had no lights and no traffic, I could accelerate to 45 mph and coast all the way to work without loosing or gaining speed...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:00 PM

2 reds? how many lights do you have to go through? I think I have a light every 1/4 mile... I may hit 50MPH on a GOOD day, if I'm lucky. Most of the time I average under 40MPH. Maybe I'm not being as liberal with my 5th gear as I should be or something. I don't normally shift to 5th unless I get over 40.

Even with 20 to 30 lights between me and work, I still prefer to take surface over the "freeway". On surface streets I have a reason to be stopped (lights). It's just plain ~stupid~ to be going 20 MPH and sometimes STOPPED on a "freeway"/interstate/highway. That and even though I have a higher average speed on the freeway, it still takes that same amount of time to get there (thanks to it being twice the distance).

Of course, my trip home at night is all up hill, and it gets steeper as I get closer to home. So, that may be what's killing my mpg more than anything. If I had no lights and no traffic, I could accelerate to 45 mph and coast all the way to work without loosing or gaining speed...
5 lights from my house to the base. I see you delima, you must REALLY have alot of traffic. And going uphill the whole way home will DEFINATLY kill your mileage.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A header would not kill mileage. IF it is more efficient then mileage increases. Maybe LAncer needs a header more than any of us thought.

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:08 PM

A header would not kill mileage. IF it is more efficient then mileage increases. Maybe LAncer needs a header more than any of us thought.

ROAD/RACE
+1
Old Feb 19, 2008, 03:23 PM
Account Disabled

ROAD/RACE
Well im not speaking in general.

But it did destroy my city mpg alot. and i was driving the same as when it didn't have headers.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol this is funny. But to be more serious, before you guys get locked into a death match, your both right.

Rocks point holds true, due to the fact that a head will increase an engines efficiency by a few %. This is translated into more power per stroke vs. a stock setup. so operating the car under normal conditions say 100kmph/55MPH your MPG will increase.

The what Finest maybe thinking of is the animal nature in us all. With more power, comes more waste. We drive more agreesive, its a beast that yurns to be fed. Think about when you got your SRI and your RRM exhaust installed, that 5 or 8% increase in performance leads you to operate the car differently.

But remember people, as you increase your engine power, you should increase your braking accordingly. I think RRM has upgraded brakes.

Something to think about. Very important
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

mmmm.... the brake upgrade...= 1500??? soo including the header its gonna run me around 1800.. or are u just talkin about the slotted rotors?
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:15 PM
Account Disabled

Evo soul good point but thats y i stated that i drove the same, sorry for off topic again but at slower speeds and stop and go traffic like city driving it really damaged my gas mpg.

the gts brake are fine enough till a turbo, no turbo no need to upgrade
Old Feb 19, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FinestSoldier
...the gts brake are fine enough till a turbo...
unless you want 4 or 6 pot caliper bragging rights

Quick Reply: ROAD/RACE - 4B11 Header