Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

ROAD/RACE - 4B11 Header

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROCK
We have more and more instructions coming on for new products but like you said, some things bolt on, bolt off. I guess we should remember not everyone has mechanical senses. Point taken.

ROAD/RACE
lol if someone doesnt have mechanical senses, they should leave the install to a pro or shop. Because If the user had a problem. its hard to say if there is something wrong with the product (unlikely) vs. a boached install (more likely)

plus who reads directions anyway
Old May 27, 2008, 08:55 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've personally never installed a header before...for those of you who know how..how would you rate the difficulty for your average joe on a 1 to 10?

and what tools would you need?
Old May 27, 2008, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
lol if someone doesnt have mechanical senses, they should leave the install to a pro or shop. Because If the user had a problem. its hard to say if there is something wrong with the product (unlikely) vs. a boached install (more likely)

plus who reads directions anyway
We take the wrap for bad installs all the time, even on stuff that does have directions. Some guys just gotta try install themsleves since they are short on cash...... I would say 95% of the negatives seen on here are due to installer errors. I know cause eventually I speak on the phone with them and find out the real story in the end.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 28, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

I would rate the install at a 2. There is nothing mental about it. There are a few things to NOT worry about.

1st: Thought there are 12 holes drilled into the header flange you are only gonna use 5 bolts to attach the header. They are the same bolts that came out of the OEM header.

2nd: You will reuse the same gasket that came with the car.

3rd: It is much easier ( maybe the only way ) to move the header into place from the underside of the car.

4th: Be sure to mount the header to the block first ( dont screw it down, just get it onto the bolt posts ) before trying to line it up with the exhaust.

5th: Vice grips could be handy if your doin it yourself. You can use them to clamp the header and the exhaust in the right position in order to get the bolt through.

6th: Im not sure if you HAVE TO, I did, take the strut bar off in order to get the heat shield off and access the header bolts.

Please Note* I am not a mechanic. This is just from my experience. Of course 5 minutes spent on DIRECTIONS would have cleared up some of these obvious questions.

I would bet that 10 minutes creating quality directions would eliminate hours of phone calls concerning installs. Less time on the phone explaining sh*# leaves more time to take other calls, like sales calls, cause everyone wants some RRM stuff cause it works and anyone can install their stuff cause it comes with directions that are crystal clear.

Heres something else thats just got me mythed. RRM must install these parts a dozen times or so during testing and for customers that come by the shop. There is ample time to make very detailed install directions with pics that would completely set RRM apart. It would put them in another league. ****, they could get a college kid or someone with photoshop / ms paint / draw to make directions in exchange for parts! Have em do directions for x amount of parts and get a free intake or exhaust or whatever. Its so easy and would make a huge professional impact.

I dont know about you, but the average American would probably rather sit in the dentist chair than have to call up customer support. Im of the firm belief that A. If I have to call customer support - im already not happy, B. if its a recording I instantly start thinking about who else I could get a similar or competitor product and C. If its not an English speaking person that answers...... Forget it, its over, you lost my business.

P.S. You take the wrap for bad installs cause you dont enable the customer to take ownership. Taking ownership means providing the knowledge to understand what they're doing and become liable for not reading the directions. How would you feel if you purchase a surround sound reciever with assignable HDMI, TosLink and Digital Coax connections but their were no directions in the box? Is it your fault or the manufacturers fault you cant hear 7.1 when connected to your HD cable receiver? ( its just an example) Almost everyone on the planet has TV. Should we just assume that everyone knows how to get Dolby Digital surround out of it?

Last edited by elpoole; May 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old May 28, 2008, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Point well taken! I agree that the directions, or lack there of is a minor issue that could easily be resolved! RRM is a great company and I have purchased many parts that I have always been happy with. But, the one gripe I have is the lack of directions. I have personally called there customer service and used there email contact site, and they have always been very courteous and quick to respond to questions!:
Old May 28, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Back to the header issue, how does the RRM header affect your low end torque for that weak a$$ first gear?
Old May 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BABYGOTBACK
Back to the header issue, how does the RRM header affect your low end torque for that weak a$$ first gear?
just made a response in this thread about the headers.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=348093
Old May 28, 2008, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

nice instructions there elpoole. All that aside, its still better to get a pro to do it. I advocate getting your dealer to do the install. If they do the install and no code shows up, it looks good on you, (and RRM of course). This works in your favor to head off any warranty issues.

plus if you run into problems with the install, you can always take it back and get your questions answered. instead of calling rock with something like a rookie mistake. Rock can get back to other projects vs. working the tech support phones.
Old May 28, 2008, 08:08 PM
Former Sponsor

It makes more lowend torque,,, PERIOD.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 29, 2008, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, you can definitely feel the torque. You can feel it at the low and high of the RPM band.
Old May 29, 2008, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

There you go.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 29, 2008, 07:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ROCK
It makes more lowend torque,,, PERIOD.

ROAD/RACE
This header is probably one of the most important mods you can put on your car. Its at the heart of everything to do with cumbustion. Just short of modifying the engine itself.

and knowing is half the battle!

Last edited by evo_soul; May 29, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old May 29, 2008, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor

That and the piggy really change the car's character in the power dept. Swaybar and springs in the suspension dept.

ROAD/RACE
Old May 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Rob, can you let us know when you get the CEL eliminators? I'm just waiting on them to buy the headers.
Old May 30, 2008, 07:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Hoping for the last phase of development for next week on the CEL elims. Need to rent a car for our donor car..... Sucks but the price of progress.

ROAD/RACE

Quick Reply: ROAD/RACE - 4B11 Header