Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

MSD ignition?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2003, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD ignition?

I am about to buy an MSD ignition, and I am aware that I am going to have to buy two sets, because of the fact that we have two coils. What I'm a little concerned with is the size of our coils. When I install the MSD, it's going to produce too much spark for my small coils. I'm not exactly sure about the whole thing, but I'm sure with a little help, I will get it all figured out. I was just wondering if anyone has already installed one? If so, I would greatly appreciate some details on how you did it. Maybe you'll save me from running into a few problems. Thanx!
Old Jul 19, 2003, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

The thing is, odds are it's not going to work period. The coil design of the Lancer won't allow it for some odd reason (as in, the MSD box won't be able to talk to them). And yes, I'm aware that MSD makes a box that's supposed to work with distributorless systems and the fact that the SCI will not work either. Read up on some olds posts about it before you invest any of that cash money. The only system that has a real shot at working is HKS' Twin Power II for the 4G64 (as in 3G Eclipse 4 banger) since it uses the same style distrubtorless system.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 10:54 PM

don't use msd

Although MSD makes great stuff, it will not work with our car. We use an integrated coil which uses a power transistor along with the transformer inside the coil. It won't work and could further more damage your ECU as it did mine. I would take PJAL's advice and check out the HKS. Hope that helps bro.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:11 PM

alright thanks guys, you really helped. Greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, poor Josh learned a lesson for us all. Too bad it had to happen the way it did.
Old Jul 22, 2003, 08:30 PM
Account Disabled

I sent MSD the wiring diagram a month ago and they said no way. Won't work. Reason as stated earlier. But I got it straight from the company.