Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

WORKS Exhale Axle Back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2008 | 07:24 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Getting back on topic (lets thank our threatening moderator) heheh joking

The exhaust looks pretty solid and should make great high end power, no buts about it, its a great straight thru axleback.
One thing to point out for those of us in Ontario and I am assuming the rest of Canada, its a good idea to be aware that techinically its not exactly permitted to operate our cars without a muffler. And if many of you are from Ontario you know how friendly our officers can be when it comes to giving tickets. The noise looks like it could pass, but in the case when there is doubt....

Let me dust off this old Highway traffict Act.... (cough cough)

http://www.yorkregionsavealife.com/Erase/rear.htm
Second as reference but section 75 of our highway safety act here in Ontario and i am sure its similar in all other provinces throughout canada states

HTA75 (1)
"All cars, trucks and motorcycles need to be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke. Use of a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, Hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device is prohibited. "

110$ fine, but that fine can ballon up to 300+ getting nailed for excess noise and so on. The cops might as well start pistol whipping us

Your odds are low of getting caught but its just something to be aware of in Canada. Maybe someone out West in vancouver and Calgary can tell ya if they have the same law as they do in Ontario.

Cheers
I think it'll depend on how much of a smooth talker you are. With this axleback, the car still technically has a muffler on it (stock resonator, which is a type of muffler) so it still complies with the rules you listed.
Old Jan 3, 2008 | 08:11 AM
Former Sponsor

lol no haha that would fall under the "by-pass or similar device is prohibited" provision.

In other words, its up to the cops / inspectors discression. But i am sure its like that everywhere.

When all else fails, spill some water on your lap and tell the officer that your pee'd yourself, maybe it might work? lol
Old Jan 3, 2008 | 05:19 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What about adding a warning like this (taken from the Evo Exhale AB)

*WRP (WORKS Racing Program) items are engineered to provide increased performance and may not be intended for use on public roads. Because we expect these products to be put through some extreme situations, certain items may not qualify for the WORKS Factory-matched Warranty.

==============

Also, any chance of also having the ARC like the Evo has?
http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=78
Old Jan 3, 2008 | 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

^you think that one would fit in the exhaust?
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 04:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 08LancerEVO
dont worry the font size will be.. about this small
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 04:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by David Kelly
why do you want your car to sound like a jet engine when it has 120-150 hp? i honestly don't want to hear the exhaust at all and i think it's terrible when i see a car in the distance going 25 that i can hear over all the rest on the road.
just personal preference i guess.

a friend of mine has a 1959 ford truck that is quieter than that thing is on the driveby and all it has is a pipe lol.

yes i have never heard a muffler before. :/ i'm ****in amish and our buggies all have silencers.
So get a Magnaflow, they are pretty quiet(when compared to most other brands), most of the time. Had a catback on my Eclipse and was pretty quiet, in all actuality my intake was louder at the higher RPMS, but the Magnaflow did have a nice growl and nearly zero rasp.

Last edited by angryGTS; Jan 4, 2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 06:06 AM
Former Sponsor

lol picked up my girlfriend after installing a SRI and it just scared her out right, the engine sounds like a bear is mauling someone. Now thats one sound i would like to turn down, I started work on insulating the pipe with a none conductive rubber and large heat shield, hopefully it does the trick. speaking about the exhaust. Its really about personal preference right, some like that throaty growl, some love those (very few) like or can stand driving around a rice can sound. For me tone is important, you want to be heard and seen, that attention grabber, i had to do thru 4 mufflers before i found what was just right for my exhaust.

The best exhaust system i ever heard was like 8 years ago i think, it was a Porsche 996Turbo, god only knows if it was a upgraded exhaust probably not, cause they are tuned pretty damn good stock. But when i hear that car start it just turned my head it sounded so good i am sure my head almost twisted right off 180. That was just the car starting, when it drove off it just sounded sweet. (flashing back right now) sigh. But thats what got me in to cars when i was young it started on that day right there. Ever since then i have been all about the sound, performance equally important. Now staying on topic, the exhaust here sounds moderately loud, it doesnt go over the line, but i am basing that on a video, in person is much better. But its seems to deliever. I was expecting something else.

Here is question for WORKS, The sound test videos you guys did, was it a PZEV car or FED Spec car?
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

good ? EvoSoul
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 07:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I know such a long rant isnt it, semi just the way Blacksheep likes it (j/k)
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 09:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by 08LancerEVO
I don't know. I've never been anywhere near either the Evo or Lancer Exhale exhausts. But when I saw it on the site, I kinda went "hmmmm" . . .
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 10:45 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Here is question for WORKS, The sound test videos you guys did, was it a PZEV car or FED Spec car?
It's a PZEV (CA-emissions car). As mentioned before:
Originally Posted by Jamie@WORKS
The PZEV uses a pre-cat and a cat and all others use a cat and a resonator. Both essentially sound the same.
"Worst case" OEM-style scenario would be the intermediate pipe from a PZEV bolted to a Fed car (no pre-cat, no resonator). I would expect the tone to change, but to what extent is unknown. The loudest possible setup would be tubular headers with a straight pipe all the way back to the tip. The sound gets pretty nasty (the "good" nasty), but not something I'd want to live with on a daily basis (nor would your neighbors)

As far as the ARC goes, it was designed for the EVO Exhale tip. I'll grab one and see if it's even close for the '08 Lancer version. My guess is no since we're talking 1/2" difference in pipe diameter.

The Lancer Exhale AB is not branded as a WRP product and does qualify for the WORKS Factory-Matched Warranty. The rest of that clause holds some validity.
Old Jan 4, 2008 | 09:21 PM

Yes, you have I was having a little trouble uploading onto our server, so YouTube will have to do for now. The first couple are free-revving while stationary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqIeN3sGDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrEcCiLqwuw

The last two are while driving around our facility at Infineon. They didn't quite make the grade as Mother nature wasn't fully cooperative as there's a lot of "background" noise because of the wet ground. (At least it wasn't raining).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqompaSnzdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT7tMdjWyE8

We'll be doing some more driving clips in nicer weather and I'll try and capture some dyno pulls while the engine is under load. Enjoy!

I noticed that your around buildings , kind of an echo sound can you do a sound clip away from builds surrounding you ????

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 12:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by FinestSoldier
no wonder Works said " Saves Weight" They were Serious
21 lbs to be exact

Originally Posted by 08LanceRage
I noticed that your around buildings , kind of an echo sound can you do a sound clip away from builds surrounding you ????

Thanks
Once the weather is a little more cooperative and the R&D chassis is back together, we intend on doing more clips. We can get away from the echos caused by the buildings for the driving shots, but I can't promise the same for the dyno pull

As far as the ARC goes, it was designed for the EVO Exhale tip. I'll grab one and see if it's even close for the '08 Lancer version. My guess is no since we're talking 1/2" difference in pipe diameter.
The ARC will fit inside the tip, but (as suspected) does not fit inside the piping. It would be possible to mount it with the Lancer AB, but without the proper fit, I'd be afraid it would do some odd things with the sound. The car isn't running at the moment due to R&D of some more parts, but once it is, I'll mock something up just to see.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Jan 7, 2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Merged
Old Jan 7, 2008 | 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

The ARC will fit inside the tip, but (as suspected) does not fit inside the piping. It would be possible to mount it with the Lancer AB, but without the proper fit, I'd be afraid it would do some odd things with the sound. The car isn't running at the moment due to R&D of some more parts, but once it is, I'll mock something up just to see.
Thanks for checking. Should help the noise for people that need it.
Old Jan 15, 2008 | 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good for overall noise, but how much would it be to get a local muffler shop to mandrel bend you some stainless and weld mounts? Thanks the question.

No offense to work, you have made a good product.

Quick Reply: WORKS Exhale Axle Back