Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

semi major problem

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
semi major problem

Ok heres what its doing...under normal driving (no lead foot) its fine. But whenever I gas it off a light for example it "stutters". Smokes a little, smells like gas. My assumption is that for some reason or another its not detonating the fuel. Now some background info. Its an auto with 130 thousand miles, short ram intake, rrm v1 piggyback, straight pipe exhaust. Thought maybe it was bad gas, Got some injector cleaner then octane booster then back to injector cleaner. So far nothing has worked. I changed the coils, plugs and wires. No water in the oil, no oil in the water. Im a little stumped. Ive got two theories: number one is that I have a cracked injector; number two is that one of the exhaust valves is sticking open. when it does this it sounds like its running on 2 or 3 cylinders. cant really say for sure because it happens so fast. just has me a little worried. I want to figure out what the problem is before it gets any worse. any help would be greatly GREATLY appreciated.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Take off the piggyback and see if that helps.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

That was going to be my next option...but I didnt really want to do that if I didnt have to...why do you think the piggy would have anything to do with it? Ive had it installed since...march...so yea...
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Figured it was a good place to start.
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I guess I should do that...maybe
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'm assuming no check engine lights?
Old Dec 24, 2007, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Has the weather changed lately were you live? If its been hot and then gets cold the piggyback acts up until it adapts. But i dont really think that would be the problem.

My first guess is "Check the MAF sensor!" Usually when that goes bad or is hooked up wrong, the car stutters, runs like ****, shuts off, and runs super rich. The cars ECU dumps a bunch of fuel into the motor to protect it from leaning out.

Also, check and read your plugs. They will tell you alot.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

u check ur plugs/
color?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 questions: 1.) is your CEL on, and if so what is the code? 2.) which cylinder(s) are not firing?

-make sure you are actually getting spark to each cylinder. i had the exact same problem, it came down to a lead running to the 2nd coil pack was scorched by the cylinder head(till this day i have no clue how the wires came to rest upon the head). the short cause 2 cylinders to not fire.

-also, if you have the tools available to you, run a compression test. although it doesn't really sound like a compression problem it's a simple test that i would run.

-check your exhaust for unburnt fuel. if 1-2 cylinders aren't firing and you still have that putrid stench of gas (or actual unburnt gas on the runner of your exhaust mani) you can pretty much rule out the idea of a faulty injector.

Last edited by comatose721; Dec 27, 2007 at 08:03 AM. Reason: embellishment
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Ok update. Yes the weather changed recently got extra cold extra quick. checked/replaced the plugs. Tried some throttle body cleaner that worked for a couple days now its back worse than before. I didnt realize they make MAF sensor cleaner. so thats my next target. It is dumping alot of fuel... alot. It seems like the colder it gets the worse it gets. Could it be a vacuum problem? Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum lines for the TB?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

O right CEL ok it is on...but its always on I dont have any cats. However it is throwing a few new codes LoL. One is "System mixture Too Rich" the other was "Misfire cylinder 4". Now, which one is cylinder 4? It said that code before we changed the plugs and hasnt done it since. but now it just constantly says its too rich. Ok I also checked both the coils...they are good...checked them against a new one. tested resistance and all that good stuff...

Last edited by cyrax5709; Jan 14, 2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Remembered more
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Could it be caused by the seals on the valves? forget what they're called...valve end seals? If they are leaking, oil could be leaking into your cylinders, which burns causing it to smoke and lose compresion. that may cause the studder you are talking about...
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Pull the piggy and reset the ECU. Drive for 2 days to make sure the ECU has relearned and then get back to us.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cyrax5709
O right CEL ok it is on...but its always on I dont have any cats. However it is throwing a few new codes LoL. One is "System mixture Too Rich" the other was "Misfire cylinder 4". Now, which one is cylinder 4? It said that code before we changed the plugs and hasnt done it since. but now it just constantly says its too rich. Ok I also checked both the coils...they are good...checked them against a new one. tested resistance and all that good stuff...
I just recently cleaned my engine and had a "Misfire cylinder 1". They count left to right, 1 2 3 4, ( with you standing in front of the car facing the engine that is.)

I looked at it and it was not fully plugged into the block, it was separated, i assume from my deep clean of the engine. Pulled it out, put it back in, reset the cars computer, and good to go.

Although now im getting 23 MPG and I believe another one is misfiring but the computer isnt on showing a problem... HMm...

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

yea just gotta wait for some good weather to pull the piggy out...too damn cold lately LoL but Ill let you guys know for sure

Quick Reply: semi major problem