Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Car only starts when jumped.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car only starts when jumped.

this all started when my optima battery died in winter. when i replaced the battery with a new optima battery, the car still wouldnt start unless i jumped it (engine would not turn over). It was as if the battery was dead. when it was cold out, my car would die if i didnt give it gas but now its warm out and it doesnt die while running (after i jump it of course). once i turn off the car, it wont start agian unless i jump it. i have driven it around to charge up the battery (long drives) but it wont hold the charge. Once i shut off the car it will turn back on if i try it right away, but if i wait an hour it will not turn back on. i have had the battery and alternator looked at and both are fine. To me it sounds like a battery problem? But these batteries are good and it has been tested and it is BRAND NEW.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

is there a short somewhere maybe???
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

alternator.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

have u check the starter? it might be going bad that why it need more power to get it to crank.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:22 AM

do you have any other electrical problems? like lights not working or even your gauges? cuz ifthose are acting up too then its your alternater. cuz your battery not chargin would cause your car to die while running. also check your connections. i.e. battery termianls, make sure they're not corroded ro loose. your starter maybe if it was only starting the car, wouldnt effect while driving.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

i'm almost 100% sure it's the alternator because i had the same problem. if you bought a new battery and it wont charge it's the alternator. UNLESS you accidently left the battery on the floor and it drained the battery to 0%. i heard that batteries have a point of no return, haha. you should check to see if the both batteries have juice in them. i think a shop will definitely check it for free cause "parts source" here does it free. i don't know what your equivalent is... auto zone i think?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by wd_cross
i'm almost 100% sure it's the alternator because i had the same problem. if you bought a new battery and it wont charge it's the alternator. UNLESS you accidently left the battery on the floor and it drained the battery to 0%. i heard that batteries have a point of no return, haha. you should check to see if the both batteries have juice in them. i think a shop will definitely check it for free cause "parts source" here does it free. i don't know what your equivalent is... auto zone i think?
Yah. Ijust had good voltage across the battery showing that it is "charging" though. Plus it wouldn't have run as long as it did i dont think if the battery was dead (went on an hour drive city miles)
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

when you say it won;t start do you mean that t won;t even turn over. When you turn the key do you hear a click or does nothing happen. Also when you try to start it watch the lights on your gauges. If they dim then your battery is either dead or isn't holding a charge anymore. If the gauges stay bright and you hear a click then it may be the starter like said. Even if the starter is getting a little bit of juice it will try to turn over. Usually signs of a drained battery on startup are dimming gauge lights, door open chime is slow and soft sounding, and when you start it it will kinda sound like a cycling "yeee----yeee-----yeee". This is because the battery can;t put out the amperage needed on cold crank to effectively start the engine.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by zero9243
Yah. Ijust had good voltage across the battery showing that it is "charging" though. Plus it wouldn't have run as long as it did i dont think if the battery was dead (went on an hour drive city miles)

You could read it as still charging, but altenators have a set amprage output, they can dwindle down and still "trickle" charge, but its not enough to keep it so when you shut the car off it keeps the battery some juice, or your engine is just workin overtime spinnin faster to keep the battery up ;-)

Its your altenator, or you got a junk battery. But I'll go with an Altenator problem
Old Apr 24, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

alternator for sure bro............................................... ...........