Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

cams

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cams

i haven't seen anything about lancer cams. do they make aftermarket cams? i know as an x-GM mechanic, cams can really increase horsepower depending on the lift and duration.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 12:53 AM
Evolving Member

there are cams out there but from wha ive seen they are not very good. remeber the 4g94 is a single cam get the same hp results in an ecu flash from www.roadracemotorsports.com
Old Aug 10, 2003, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

You need to contact uranium9v. he is the only one running new cams todate from RPW. From what he has told me they are really good. I think there is a parts review on them. Check it out Dalin in the Parts review section. I am waiting to get some as soon as I can afford it.

Peace
WADAD
Old Aug 10, 2003, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

I'd contact uranium before assuming that an ecu reflash will net you better hp gains than a cam change. My money's on the cam.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by blackmantis
there are cams out there but from wha ive seen they are not very good. remeber the 4g94 is a single cam get the same hp results in an ecu flash from www.roadracemotorsports.com
Cam is the single biggest HP gain for NA. Header is second. It will shift your powerband to explode in speed from mid to top end power. More wilder cam profile, the more top end speed at the sacrifice of lowend power.

Since the G94 has virtually the same cyl head as the G93 (but G94 has cali spec grind for LEV-like standards), both should use similar grinds.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

our stage 1.5 grind is the same as the Mirage stage 2 grind. I was wondering if I'd need a different ECU flash with the cams?? Anyhow, mid to top end is awesome with the shaft and adjusted cam gear.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 06:55 PM

cam install

do you know the time, skill level, if there are any special tools, to change a cam in the lancer oz engine?
what about a cam upgrade and a ecu reflash? should be able to get both for under thousand bucks. maybe even 500; i've seen an ecu reflash service for $315, for the lancer oz engine.

Originally posted by ghostrider
I'd contact uranium before assuming that an ecu reflash will net you better hp gains than a cam change. My money's on the cam.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

Find uranium's post about this. He had a lot of difficulty and went through like 3 or 4 shops before finding a place that could install the cam. Really, this thread won't answer any questions not already answered in that thread.

EDIT: here and here.
-N

Last edited by neilscully; Aug 11, 2003 at 03:21 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

There was a problem in calibration on that particular cam which has since been rectified we are told. Anyway sometimes it doesn't pay to be the first to try something but he was successful and hasn't said a bad thing about it since install.

Peace
WADAD

And oh he took it to the dealer to install because the other shops claimed to lack the knowledge of the lancer cam. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

Your camshafts control your engine's breathing and as stated above it is perhaps the most significant gain you will see with an NA setup. However, you should think about which cam grind is good for your particular application. Sticking the biggest cams in your engine isn't always the best idea because you don't spend all your time driving above 6000RPM. Not to mention, your fuel economy suffers, your valve springs may not be able to handle and you can easily run into valve float. Your ECU may not be able to adapt to such change and it could trigger an CEL, not a good idea if you are in California. Then there's the whole cam reversion and screwing up your EGR or losing low end power.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:26 PM

emissions and warranty

since he was having the dealer install it, did he get the advantage of keeping the warranty and passing emissions or a guarantee of it?

Originally posted by WADADLIG_OZ
There was a problem in calibration on that particular cam which has since been rectified we are told. Anyway sometimes it doesn't pay to be the first to try something but he was successful and hasn't said a bad thing about it since install.

Peace
WADAD

And oh he took it to the dealer to install because the other shops claimed to lack the knowledge of the lancer cam. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

You would have to ask him. He replied to this post a few spots above.

(uranium9V)

WADAD
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:24 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe he mentioned something about better gas mileage with his cam. But also, most of the gains are at the top end, so for most racing applications that's nice. I need some low end for autocross so I don't have to shift from 2nd to 1st, so I'll pass on this one. But I do believe he was happy with his cam overall. Hasn't he had it in since December? I think we were talking about it at Cal Slam I