Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2008 | 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

I am sure they can but, the 5W-30 will be an acceptable oil and does outperform the Mobil 1 EP.

The Mobil 1 EP is a very good oil so if that is your choice, don't be worried.

Doc
Old Nov 7, 2008 | 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Just got back from Canadian Tire... The guy said they could not order some, what is on the shelf is what we have he said.

I decided to buy the Mobil 1 EP 5W30. I checked and it is rated API SM so guess i'll be ok. I'd still prefer some 5W20, but looks like i'll have to live with the 5W30 for now!
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 06:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Answer_1
Just got back from Canadian Tire... The guy said they could not order some, what is on the shelf is what we have he said.

I decided to buy the Mobil 1 EP 5W30. I checked and it is rated API SM so guess i'll be ok. I'd still prefer some 5W20, but looks like i'll have to live with the 5W30 for now!
I cant say for sure but I am starting a low level dialog with Mobil and there is a Canadian source for 5w20. Canadian Tires supplier does have it but Canadian tire themselves dont want to stock it. they are playing the numbers game.

5w20 hopefully will be available by January
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

i switched to moble 1 full synthetic on my gts,and i just switched back to regular oil,and its running just fine,i cant justify paying 100$ per change if its not helping my car out over the regular oil at 50$
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Infamous_pt4
i switched to moble 1 full synthetic on my gts,and i just switched back to regular oil,and its running just fine,i cant justify paying 100$ per change if its not helping my car out over the regular oil at 50$

I suppose it is in your perception of fine and which Mobil 1 you switched to/from.

Mobil 1 is a company and there are several grades of Mobil 1 oil. For $100.00 US, I hope it was the EP, they used a M-1 Filter at the least, checked and filled all the other fluids, rotated your tires and checked the pressure, vacuumed the inside and did the windows..

On another note, if it was the EP, you are capable of an extended drain interval, better fuel mileage and know that your engine is better protected and will have less wear.

But, then again, some people just care about the cost upfront. Synthetic oil is not for everyone or every application.

Doc
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 08:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
I suppose it is in your perception of fine and which Mobil 1 you switched to/from.

Mobil 1 is a company and there are several grades of Mobil 1 oil. For $100.00 US, I hope it was the EP, they used a M-1 Filter at the least, checked and filled all the other fluids, rotated your tires and checked the pressure, vacuumed the inside and did the windows..

On another note, if it was the EP, you are capable of an extended drain interval, better fuel mileage and know that your engine is better protected and will have less wear.

But, then again, some people just care about the cost upfront. Synthetic oil is not for everyone or every application.

Doc
I agree completely
More over to what doc said...

EP is geared towards those who seek an oil that is more resistant to break down. Both on longer service application as well as heat break down resistance. One great example would be to say that, Mobil 1 Synth is great for overall normal driving conditions with regular oilchanges at the recommended times. But senarios that warnant Extended performance would be

1) Pushing beyond regular maintaince intervals
2) Racing applications or agresive driving
3) Aftermarket Turbo Applications for our lancers is a good example. Turbo = more heat.

Oil break down simply means your oil will lose its lubrication effectivness and then leave your engine in a bad spot.

I have a honda which I recently retired with 500,000km plus and a mazda at 280,000km and use Mobil Extended Performance at every 20,000 interval.... I am no chemical engineer but its peice of mind that has proven itself in long engine life and emissions tests that yield "1ppm of No" and thats it. Engine oil I think is one of the basic but most important elements to a car, without proper protection, it can be costly in the future.

I am currently in talks with Mobil and Mitsubishi to see what can be done to make EP the standard for the Mitsubishi EVO and 08+ lancer in the 5w20 grade at the cost of regular mobil 1.
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
I agree completely

Thank You, Doc

I am currently in talks with Mobil and Mitsubishi to see what can be done to make EP the standard for the Mitsubishi EVO and 08+ lancer in the 5w20 grade at the cost of regular mobil 1.

AMSOIL has a 100% 0W-20 for these applications, but I still recommend the SSO 0W-30 which is a much tougher oil and capable of extended drains in stock applications and 5000 mile drains even in High Performance and Turbo'd applications.

Doc
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
AMSOIL has a 100% 0W-20 for these applications, but I still recommend the SSO 0W-30 which is a much tougher oil and capable of extended drains in stock applications and 5000 mile drains even in High Performance and Turbo'd applications.

Doc
Doc, I am always open to new ideas and products, Amsoil didnt really have reach up here in Canada years ago, so I never had the access to it, or at least a reliable source. I am sure its every bit as good, just recently last year I think INJEN and Amsoil announced an alliance of some sort.

Mobil is a little easier to access since they own half of Imperial oil here in Canada and have some reach into Mitsubishi Canada.
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

AMSOIL has 2 Canadian Warehouses that are pretty much fully stocked.

Yes AMSOIL/Injen did partner up and have just introduced 140 new applications including many EVO's.

Remember, AMSOIL is Not New... They started this whole Automotive Synthetic World in 1972... Mobil attempted to duplicate it in mid-late 1974....Quite poorly at the time.... Immitation IS The Sincerest form of Flattery !

Doc
Old Nov 9, 2008 | 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I cant say for sure but I am starting a low level dialog with Mobil and there is a Canadian source for 5w20. Canadian Tires supplier does have it but Canadian tire themselves dont want to stock it. they are playing the numbers game.

5w20 hopefully will be available by January
Keep me posted on your progress!!! Using 5W20 would be piece of mind if anything ever happens while my engine is under guarantee!
Old Nov 10, 2008 | 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Answer_1
Keep me posted on your progress!!! Using 5W20 would be piece of mind if anything ever happens while my engine is under guarantee!

The Viscosity of the oil has nothing to do with warranty.. It is the API or ILSAC Rating you need to be concerned with.. API SM should be the required lubricant, but check the owners manual..

The 20 weight is being used so OEM's can meet their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy). There is no difference between the engine in your car and previous models calling for a 5W-30..

A 0W oil is also acceptable if you are stuck on the 20 wgt... The first number is the Viscosity of the oil at 32 Degrees F.

Doc
Old Nov 10, 2008 | 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Doc, I am always open to new ideas and products, Amsoil didnt really have reach up here in Canada years ago, so I never had the access to it, or at least a reliable source. I am sure its every bit as good, just recently last year I think INJEN and Amsoil announced an alliance of some sort.

Mobil is a little easier to access since they own half of Imperial oil here in Canada and have some reach into Mitsubishi Canada.
Amsoil and Motul are easy to get up here, I run Amsoil exclusively in my engine, brakes, transmission and diffs.
Old Nov 10, 2008 | 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Amsoil and Motul are easy to get up here, I run Amsoil exclusively in my engine, brakes, transmission and diffs.
your right, its probably because i cant venture further then my local canadian tire store lol. Lazy
Old Nov 10, 2008 | 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

your right, its probably because i cant venture further then my local canadian tire store lol. Lazy
LOL! X2!
Old Dec 4, 2008 | 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

The synthetic oil could cause an oil seal to swell and then moving back to conventional oil would shrink it.
That was horse hickey centures ago. Just an old wives tale. Or are you talking rope seals made from old t-shirt collars?

Quick Reply: synthetic oil