Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if its a X thing but the IX owners manual says synthetic ONLY.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
not sure if its a X thing but the IX owners manual says synthetic ONLY.
its an evo thing...
Old May 20, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

you can

**EDIT:
erm... never mind me...
Old May 20, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

lol sorry guys wandered into the worng forum
Old May 20, 2008, 02:48 PM

hey guys, i read in an article in some magazine ( ive been trying to find the magazine but i was browzing at a local 7-11 and thought oh well ill come back and get it, but i still cant find it or even the name of it). whew!! anyways, the article was about cheap HP out of an evo X. it read that if u change the oil to a synthetic ( i think it was lucas) youll have gains of 7 HP, and if you do a cat back exhaust you will gain another 7 HP, and last if you put a K&N drop in filter, you will gain 14HP which was the highest gains they've seen out of a drop in.

now i know it seems impossible but they showed dyno results after every mod. i followed these steps and i havnt dyno'd yet but i defenetly feel the difference, major difference! not 28 HP difference but its not the same engine as the evo so...

i wish i could remember the name or find the magazine again cuz i hate saying something and not have anything to back me up but all i can tell u is that now, ill SMOKE a stock 08 lancer ( probobly keep up with an 09 gts)
Old May 20, 2008, 03:07 PM

I sold auto parts for 5 years, and everyone i knew in the industry, oil manufacturers included, say that once you go to synthetic, you cant go back.

I use mobile 1 now. no problems as of yet. I have been a castrol fan for ever, but recently switched to mobil one.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by mattsgts
hey guys, i read in an article in some magazine ( ive been trying to find the magazine but i was browzing at a local 7-11 and thought oh well ill come back and get it, but i still cant find it or even the name of it). whew!! anyways, the article was about cheap HP out of an evo X. it read that if u change the oil to a synthetic ( i think it was lucas) youll have gains of 7 HP, and if you do a cat back exhaust you will gain another 7 HP, and last if you put a K&N drop in filter, you will gain 14HP which was the highest gains they've seen out of a drop in.

now i know it seems impossible but they showed dyno results after every mod. i followed these steps and i havnt dyno'd yet but i defenetly feel the difference, major difference! not 28 HP difference but its not the same engine as the evo so...

i wish i could remember the name or find the magazine again cuz i hate saying something and not have anything to back me up but all i can tell u is that now, ill SMOKE a stock 08 lancer ( probobly keep up with an 09 gts)
You're comparing the Evo X to the GTS, they're two entirely different cars and what works on one may not work on the other.
Old May 20, 2008, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tranceguy420
I sold auto parts for 5 years, and everyone i knew in the industry, oil manufacturers included, say that once you go to synthetic, you cant go back.

I use mobile 1 now. no problems as of yet. I have been a castrol fan for ever, but recently switched to mobil one.
there are people saying that switching back and forth can actually harm the engine, but I do not understand it and haven't seen any proof of such.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the_cosworth
there are people saying that switching back and forth can actually harm the engine, but I do not understand it and haven't seen any proof of such.
In older cars, switching back and fourth could degrade your seals: The synthetic oil could cause an oil seal to swell and then moving back to conventional oil would shrink it. In newer, more modern engines it doesn't really make a difference.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

^^ that is what it was.

thanks!
Old May 20, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by nj_08_gts
In older cars, switching back and fourth could degrade your seals: The synthetic oil could cause an oil seal to swell and then moving back to conventional oil would shrink it. In newer, more modern engines it doesn't really make a difference.
It's the other way around, the smaller molecules of a synthetic oil can get past the seals and cause horrible blowby. A conventional oil won't do this and will properly seal the seals so to speak. Subarus have issues with some synthetic oils for supposedly the same reasons.
Old May 20, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Ive always use sythetic in all our cars. In my younger days, Ive owned an eclipse that I strictly used synthetic oil and ran good until I sold it at about 280k miles. The GTS does not call for synthetic but certainly on my evo 8 does!
Old May 20, 2008, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's the other way around, the smaller molecules of a synthetic oil can get past the seals and cause horrible blowby. A conventional oil won't do this and will properly seal the seals so to speak. Subarus have issues with some synthetic oils for supposedly the same reasons.
Thanks for the correction
Old May 21, 2008, 01:27 AM

That was with synthetic oils of the past, new oils (mobil1 for sure) don't cause this.
Old May 21, 2008, 01:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my opinion, as a commercial transport technician.

Choose your oil for you need... are you a lazy person who doesn't like changing oil!? then for you is Synthetic!

if you love working on your car keep with regular oils, they are cheap and well...the more changing, the better...

Keep paying more for syn. guys! its a great oil for a race car maybe!

Quick Reply: synthetic oil