Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does switching brands of synthetic pose any threat to harming your motor
Old May 21, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Lncrgts
That was with synthetic oils of the past, new oils (mobil1 for sure) don't cause this.
Mobil 1 is the main culprit for this, a lot of people in the Subaru community have had blowby problems using Mobil 1.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:28 AM

Right, but they reformulated it and it has no issues with seals, it's also put in many new high performance engines from the factory now.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

It still causes problems. You're welcome to check out NASIOC and see. Personally I wouldn't want to risk it on a motor known to dislike some synthetics. I used Mobil 1 on my lancer though and it was fine.
Old May 21, 2008, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

WOW !!!!! A lot of MYTH going on here.........

For starters..... It has been Proven that a PAO or Ester Based Synthetic WILL Increase HP and or Fuel Mileage...

Molecules in Synthetic are not Smaller, they are a precise Engineered Molecule.

You Can switch from Synthetic to Petroleum and back again at any time.

There are no Seal Compatibility issues when using a Premium PAO Synthetic...

Doc
Old May 21, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

now is there a preferred brand of synthetic oil to b used on the gts? i wouldnt think there was. synthetic is synthetic right?
Old May 21, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slaker138
now is there a preferred brand of synthetic oil to b used on the gts? i wouldnt think there was. synthetic is synthetic right?
Well, that is the same as saying oil is oil... and the oil manufacturers are doing everything they possibly can to keep people as confused as they can.

There is no doubt that AMSOIL is the best on the market... That is why I have sold it for over 24 yrs now.

2nd best would be Mobil 1 EP... Make sure it is the EP... That is Mobil 1's best...

Just saying Mobil 1 doesn't do it....... That is almost like saying give me a Soda...

Doc
Old May 21, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc

For starters..... It has been Proven that a PAO or Ester Based Synthetic WILL Increase HP and or Fuel Mileage...

Doc
Tell that to all the Subaru owners that have experienced marked increases in oil consumption when they switch to one brand over another. I've yet to hear of people having issues with Amsoil though.
Old May 21, 2008, 03:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol IE Vs. Netscape, Apple Vs. PC, Apples or Oranages,
It comes down to preference,

I have used either Mobil 1 at regular intervals and in recent years Extended Performance and change my oil in all my cars at 22,000km. and the lancer at about 15k

My Honda 550,000km and still going
Mazda has 250,000km

The lancer has already 34,000km on it and it has only been like 9 months. I put alot of milage on my cars, but I have yet to have an engine fail on me. When the honda was getting upgraded performance, mechanic swore I had it rebuilt recently before that. Stock parts man!!!

to each his/her own
Old May 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Tell that to all the Subaru owners that have experienced marked increases in oil consumption when they switch to one brand over another. I've yet to hear of people having issues with Amsoil though.
They are probably using one of the Faux Synthetics which rely on using additives to Mimic a PAO Synthetic..

Which goes right back to my Statement of, All Synthetics are not alike and Oil is Not Oil..

Although I will say, that for some reason or another, there are some engines that do "like" one oil over another. This is whether they are Subaru, Mits, Chevy, Ford or the Massey Ferguson tractor in the farmers field....

Nothing Specific about either the Brand of Equipment or the Brand of Oil.... Just a quirk..

Doc
Old May 21, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

They're using Mobil 1, a supposedly premium oil.
Old May 21, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc

Doc

dont take this the wrong way but I would appreciate proof of these claims, I am getting my info (molecule sizing) from my friend who is a petroleum engineer with CNRL, I would bet he would have to really mis-understand my question to steer me wrong.

We went to school together so I know that he understands his stuff, I just dont know petroleum as much as I took electrical.
Old May 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
They're using Mobil 1, a supposedly premium oil.

Surprised at that..... Wonder id they are using the EP as it is the PAO Based Product and does very well in tests....

Doc
Old May 21, 2008, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the_cosworth
dont take this the wrong way but I would appreciate proof of these claims, I am getting my info (molecule sizing) from my friend who is a petroleum engineer with CNRL, I would bet he would have to really mis-understand my question to steer me wrong.

We went to school together so I know that he understands his stuff, I just dont know petroleum as much as I took electrical.

I know a few Tribologists... I will ask them....

As far Synthetic leaking because it is thinner or smaller molecules, Myth..

A Synthetic will leak usually if it is a PAO w/Esters or Ester Based Product as it cleans out where a Petroleum oils with their Paraffin has coagulated with dirt that built up..

When it comes to seals, Seals may leak slightly as they are cleaned out and then stop as they are softened again. Oils use a Seal Swelling agent and AMSOIL uses a higher amount of this.

Doc
Old May 21, 2008, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by the_cosworth

getting back to the original posts question about gains. Gains is one thing, but its very important to understand that engine oil breaks down overtime excessive heat can further speed up the process. I am sure there is a oil that is engineered for peak performance but I am not certain if it would last that long. Personally I am skeptical about excessivly high HP claims. But hey I am not a chemist or minerals expert.

but anything beyond that, its really hard to prove the claims.

If there was something out there that made more sense then what I am using, I would use it. or at the very least test it and evaluate it. lol but I am not going to do one of those extreme wear commercials like Castrol does. lol thats like me doing this to my car

Quick Reply: synthetic oil