Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

AMSOIL Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMSOIL Question

Which AMSOIL and filter do I need for my 09?

Thanks!

Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I just spoke with Oil Doc, extremely nice and helpful guy.

Ordered 1 Gal + 1 Qt of Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSO)

and a EAO oil filter for under $62 bucks!

Can't wait
Old Jun 4, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

Hard to get over the fact that you do not change your oil filter for 25k miles?! I know AMSOIL is a reputable company, but I would like to see what the Mitsu dealer would do if warranty work needed to be done, and you have no records of changing your oil or filter for the last year! Just my opinion; and you know what they say about opinions! LOL
Old Jun 5, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BABYGOTBACK
Hard to get over the fact that you do not change your oil filter for 25k miles?! I know AMSOIL is a reputable company, but I would like to see what the Mitsu dealer would do if warranty work needed to be done, and you have no records of changing your oil or filter for the last year! Just my opinion; and you know what they say about opinions! LOL
That IS NOT the recommendation for the EVO...

Turbo Charged/ Super Charged engines fall into the "Longest Drain Interval Recommended by the OEM" Longer Intervals may be obtained by using oil analysis.

In the EVO, I believe the longest recommended interval with Synthetic oil is 5000 miles, I have several customers that have been using Oil Analyzers Inc. to test their oils and are able to not only extend their change intervals, but this helps keeps you aware of potential problems.. Just as some have found out that their Wetted Gauze Filter doesn't work very well as the UOA comes back with a high Silica count.

Also a great tool for wear metals and fuel dillution which many EVO engines are prone to.

Doc
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:07 PM

I have been talking to an AMSOIL rep locally, and he said that it was required that I flush my engine with <insert AMSOIL engine flush product> before running the SSO (or any other AMSOIL oil). I am wondering what this stuff is, and is it really necessary? I've never heard of having to flush an engine before switching oil brands... FYI -- the car has only had Mobil 1 (not always the EP, didn't know there was a difference until recently). Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan0490
I just spoke with Oil Doc, extremely nice and helpful guy.

Ordered 1 Gal + 1 Qt of Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSO)

and a EAO oil filter for under $62 bucks!

Can't wait

I'm guessing these same items would work for the 08 gts?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:07 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by reno rs
I have been talking to an AMSOIL rep locally, and he said that it was required that I flush my engine with <insert AMSOIL engine flush product> before running the SSO (or any other AMSOIL oil). I am wondering what this stuff is, and is it really necessary? I've never heard of having to flush an engine before switching oil brands... FYI -- the car has only had Mobil 1 (not always the EP, didn't know there was a difference until recently). Thanks in advance!
It's not necessary. I think the idea behind that is that he's assuming you've been running dino and that there's some buildup in the engine.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reno rs

Usually only necessary if you have sludge buidup in your engine. MOST EVO owners are a little more meticulous on their oil changes and will probably not be necessary... Check on underside of oil fill cap for sludge. I usually only recommend on higher mileage engines where a peroleum oil has been run. I am calling over 60-65,000 higher mileage.

When you switch to AMSOIL, I would keep a physical eye on the condition of the oil as with its Superior cleaning ability, it may clean any residue out of the engine. This is perfectly normal.

That being said, I have switched engines with over 200,000 miles to the 0W-30 with no ill side effects.

Doc
Old Jun 19, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer_styles
I'm guessing these same items would work for the 08 gts?
Same thing.... The Lancer takes the AMSOIL EAO-13 filter

I just put the SSO in our '08 Lancer

Doc