Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Injen CIA is nice. I just installed mine on Tuesday. It's a LOT louder than stock, but ONLY when you're "getting on it". With the windows up and driving normally (normal for me is to shift between 3K and 5K RPMs), there's just enough sound for the driver to notice it's not stock. When you're "getting on it" and get up past 3.5K RPM, every ricer within 100yards will be rubber necking. If you're driving for "optimal fuel economy", you won't even hear the Injen CIA.

As far as "noticeable power increases" go, eh... I'm a skeptic, and think that what I notice in power gain is just anecdotal rather than substantial. However, I can tell you I'm having a lot of fun running the car up to red line :P

Oh yeah, the thing I noticed most about my Injen CIA, is that the change in intake sound makes it a LOT easier for me to know when to shift, while flooring it, WITHOUT watching my Tach like a hawk. I think that is the part I like most about my Injen intake. When accelerating hard, I focus my attention on the road and the other cars (i.e. merging onto the Freeways in LA has you accelerating from a dead stop from the on ramps during the rush hours), and not having to glance at my Tach while doing so makes driving the car much easier.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:16 AM

so is there any problems with the Injen intake?.. or is it jus the fujita intakes?.. thanks
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

no problems with the Injens
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Glad you like it Nunyas.

I share your sentiments with the CAI. Loud when you're climbing the band. And it makes going to redline a bit more pleasurable.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 01:53 PM

ok.. then the injen is wt i will get.. haha
Old Jul 4, 2008, 03:35 PM

Any SRI for this vehicle will be a snap for you to reinstate back to factory specs when your lease is up. Even the very mechanically challenged can do this mod (my ex even said 'wow that looked easy!'). Heck, even just an axleback exhaust will take you under 30 minutes with a couple of 14 mm wrenches...that's one of the many things I love about this car. The only tools you will need for your air intake is an Allen bit for the MAF sensor (I can't remember the size, but a metric and SAE "made in China" kit from wal-mart is less than $5), a 10 mm socket to remove the intake box, and a #1 Phillips screwdriver (in other words, not a gigantic Phillips) to remove the OEM air channel...that's it! In less than 10 minutes you're out with the old and in with the new.

My old 2003 Honda Civic (R.I.P....I sold it to a teenager) on the other hand took 12 bolts and 2 hours to remove the air intake system to install an injen SRI, and even then I had to do some slight modding so the hood wouldn't hit it when it closed...what a joke!

Feel free to check out my RRM SRI Version 1 below (version 2 looks like it more require a whole 2 extra steps, plus it's shiny crome). I personally go with the SRI instead of CAI because I take backroads to and from work daily, and some of those roads flood if it rains for more than 10 seconds and I don't want to drown-out my engine. It's all a matter of preference. CAI will take you longer to install, but from what I'm hearing it will give you a better sound when your foot is pushing the pedal to the firewall. If you'd like a video of what the engine sounds like after this mod, let me know.

Last edited by JJ08GTS; Jul 4, 2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 04:39 PM

My K&N drop in filter should be here Monday. Also thinking about the WORKS axleback. Think that should be an ok combo.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 05:22 PM

Let me know how that works TD...I was always partial to K&N since my first vehicle, and I hear they're about to come-out with an SRI for the 08...maybe that'll eliminate my occasional CEL