Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

CAI whistle after exhaust install???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cypho you are right. At times it could be an exhaust leak from bad gaskets. If you didn't replace your exhaust mani gasket you could be loosing power and have exhaust leak...and that goes same for exhaust systems.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its an exhaust leak. Matter of fact I have one now and its whistling like Sue. I'd check your header to down pipe. Make sure those gaskets are tight and in good condition! They shouldnt move at all!
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypho
my friend had a problem with his car similar to this, he had a whistling noise coming from his car when he installed a catback exhaust and headers, he found out it was due to air leaking through the flex pipe at the end of his downpipe because he still has a stock downpipe and once he changed that out it was gone,

dont know it could be similar cause it definitely sounds like an exhaust leak if you ask me, just my opinion
lol, cypho. I'm the friend he's referring to. I drive an SL2 saturn and it was an OBX header and downpipe combo. The "whistling" comes from the fact that the built in flex pipe on the OBX styled downpipe is not dual lined. Basically you can shine a flashlight straight through it at night and see cracks of light on the other side. My fix?.....buy a new flex pipe section and do a lil cut n' weld, then replace your cat. The escaping air over time CAN do damage to the cat.