Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Crankshaft Pulley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft Pulley

Okay so im going to change my timing belt and water pump, and I need to align the crank pulley. Im looking for the mark on the pulley so I can align it and I can't find anything. I am using the RRM pulley and there are no notches or marks on it at all from what I can see. I am also looking at my old pulley for a mark and the only ones I can find are a big notch where the bolt goes through, and a little on inbetween where the 2 drive belts lay. Can anyone show me a pic of what I am looking for on the RRM pulley or even the stock one?

Also, which mark do I align the pulley to? The one that says BTDC or the one that says 10? Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Also, I was thinking about just taking off the RRM pulley and putting on my old one just to line it up, I put my breaker bar inthe 1/2 drive socket there and when I go to break the bolt loose the pulley just turns. How do I get it to stop turning?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

put the car in 5th gear and have someone hold the brakes to help with the movement. or use an air tool.

there should be an obvious notch in the pulley on both the stocker and the RRM one. it's there and it will slide into place on the crank. it's keyed to go on one way and one way only.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lucas03ES
How do I get it to stop turning?
There's a special tool you can buy. I believe it's called a holding tool or something similar.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

the car is an auto... I spun the RRM pulley a few times and there is no notch. Will it do damage to the motor if it spins backwards when im trying to take it off and the pulley spins counter clockwise?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

try to avoid spinning it, you don't really want to spin the engine backwards.

take some pictures of the pulley and post them here.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Damn, I just put it all back together... I think im just gonna drive it to my friends housr and use his air stuff to do it. Hopefully I can take pics of everything to make a write up. Ill just take the RRM pulley off and the old one back on to line it up, ill snap some pics of it though to show you what it looks like. Thanks for the hel thus far
Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You basically need an impact gun to remove the crank bolt. There's a way to remove the bolt using the starter (and it's scary), but no good way to reinstall it. So just use those air tools.

As for the timing mark on the pulley, you're right the RRM pulley does not have the notch as far as I can tell. It has the KEYWAY, not the TDC notch. You will need to find your stock pulley, match up the keyways, and then mark where the notch should be.

OR...

If your engine is still in time (haven't broken the belt, etc.), you can align the cam pulley to TDC using its notch and then make a mark on your crank pulley, which will also be at TDC.

RRM didn't exactly think it through when they made that pulley. Actually I doubt they made it, it looks exactly like some of the $25 made in china ebay ones. Yes I said it, RRM isn't all knowing and infallible like some people make them out to be. Making a crank pulley that doesn't have a clear timing mark is just plan dumb.

To answer your other question, no you should not turn the engine backwards, it can cause the belt to jump time.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

we've all got the same motor and i've had zero issues with the RRM part on my car.

they have it keyed just like the stock crank pulley. if it wasn't almost midnight i'd go snap pictures of my car. the keyway is all you'll need--they didn't design the part for it to be difficult to install.

shortly after i did the pulley install i replaced my timing belt and had the keyway location had any effect on timing i would have noticed it then. (it didn't.)
Old Jul 24, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It has the KEYWAY (the notch that keeps it in one place on the crank).

It does not have the TIMING MARK which is used to find TDC when setting timing. The two are not the same and they are not lined up.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

like i said... when i put this part on my car there was zero effect on timing. i also used impact tools and did not move the crank at all.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

Any other bolts that need to be taken off with the air impact gun besides the crank bolt? I'm gonna use a torque wrench to put it back on.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

nope. just the bolt that holds on the pulley.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

alright thanks fellas
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:45 PM

I just did a timing belt change on my 03 OZ automatic, and I'm trying to figure out how to torque this bolt back on.
The only two ways I've seen is to block the flywheel through the starter window, or to get that special tool to hold the pulley in place while you torque it.

Is there any other way?

Quick Reply: Crankshaft Pulley