Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Best SRI for 08 lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best SRI for 08 lancer?

Hey everyone,

I've done a lot of cosmetic mods to the interior and exterior of my Lancer (haven't posted anything here before, usually just an observer and look for new ideas here, but plan on taking pictures soon and becoming more active in the "lancer community" ) but now its time for me to start tweaking things under the hood.

My first move is going to be a short ram intake for M/T. I would prefer a CAI, but honestly I can't justify spending the extra $100 or so above most SRI's cost considering its just my daily driver. So, the million dollar question is: which SRI is best? Road Race offers two versions - is the v2.0 really that much better than the v1.0 or does the v1.0 get the job done? How about Fujita's SRI - better than RRM? Give me some input - and keep in consideration things like ease of installation, cost of filter replacement, power output, sound etc.

Also as a sidenote....

I happen to be a senior Mechanical Engineering student and will be attending graduate school for automotive engineering next year. Right now I have access to virtually unlimited university resources when it comes to machining. I would be interested in fabricating my own CUSTOM SRI (and possibly other components) but I admit I have no clue where to start as this is my first car and have little experience. I'm confident I could handle it, I just need someone out there who has experience in custom fabrication and can give me some insight.

Thanks, post up.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:53 AM

Im lovin my Road Race SRI V2. Sounds great.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spend the extra 100 dollars and get a CAI, both INJEN and AEM have CAI solutions. The only reason why I now turn away from SRI is the shear noise. Having the SRI point straight at the driver under the hood sounds good to some, and sparks fear in others. On the whole, I think performance wise your better off with a CAI. If you have the ability to fabricate, I suggest relocating your batter to where the SRI filter would be and create a CAI going straight across into the wheel well.

If you still wish to get the SRI, stay clear of the Fujita branded SRI, too many problems and its unclear if they have been resolved
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:15 AM

If I had 100 extra bucks sitting around, I'd spring for the CAI. But I don't so I think I'll just go with the RRM v2.0 - the loud roar is attractive to me. I also live in an area with a lot of flooding so putting any intake near the wheel well or bottom of the engine bay is a no-no for me. Thanks for the warning about fujita though, I'll definitely trust RRM.

Last edited by constantlehigh; Jul 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I've heard bad things about fujita as well, mostly it causing check engine lights.
I have the RRM v2, its decent. I do like how it sounds, however the performance gain isn't that great. But what do you expect? Its one of the cheapest, easiest, bolt-on parts you can buy. Heres what mine sounds like, its a CVT, but you get the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R92CM4AALyM
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:26 AM

the RRMv2 is good, i have it.. IMO much better then the V1 in terms of quality of built, but they both do the exact same in terms of performance (i have v2 and my friend has v1 and i can't tell the difference in the two)

the only reason why i got v2, is it looks wayy better when you pop the hood and look at the engine, that and the heat sheild

i highly recommend the RRM intakes
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Fujita, and yes, I got the CELs. It turns out the MAF sensor was not seating properly on the intake. I milled down the MAF standoffs and then used a MAF sealant (basically high-heat silicone) to seal the sensor to the intake pipe. The intake now works perfectly and sounds great. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about the Fujita - it's worked flawlessly for me for a number of months now.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

rocking v2 from RRM.

lovin it
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Evolve247
rocking v2 from RRM.

lovin it
We improved ours a couple times. We are very happy with the results. Others may be good but they did them in a day and then moved on to other makes and midels. Plus our pricing very better than any of the others from what I have seen.

ROAD/RACE
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:52 PM

well i payed alot for my RRM V2 since it needed to be shipped to Australia ... but even so it was worth every cent. It was pretty easy to install the only hard bit was getting that rubber connector onto the TB as it was a pretty tight fit but yeah nothing major. Otherwise perfect product... even came with a couple stickers

Looks really nice in the engine bay and sounds awesome. I got a K&N pod for mine.. it has a 3" flange on it which looked too big by miles but it was the only size that came in the same style as the RRM one but surprisingly it shrinks down easily by tightening the hose clamp and fits on nice and tight.

Sound wise at cruising speeds its not any louder but under full throttle it really gets a race car engine sound especially once you hit those last 1000 rpm before the red line. Performance wise it feels like there is a slight gain, people who regularly travel in the car with me recon they could feel it was a bit faster too. Throttle response is definately improved when you give it a boot from a steady speed.

Sounds awesome, slight performance increase and for anyone in the US its one of the cheaper options as well but still looks very well made.

Keep up the good work.... just wish overseas shipping wasnt so expensive but i cant exactly blame RRM for that.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ROCK
We improved ours a couple times. We are very happy with the results. Others may be good but they did them in a day and then moved on to other makes and midels. Plus our pricing very better than any of the others from what I have seen.

ROAD/RACE
is the v2 just "cosmetic" upgrade? i think the v1 intake with the stock hose would be more efficient because that tube never gets hot, and someone was saying their v2 pipe was warm after a few drag runs..??
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V2 is not cosmetic upgrade at all. V2 has a little more top end power (and potential) V1 does all you need and has better low end power. Just minor characteristics but different to the trained eye.

ROAD/RACE
Old Aug 2, 2008, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, It does get hot after a few runs, dropped my 1/4 mile time by .3 seconds once heated up, but regardless was still faster than my stock runs.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:00 PM

ok people i live in puerto rico and the weather is 90% of the year hot.how rrm sri v1 or v2 i need?

Last edited by Monchy-GTS; Aug 3, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:52 PM

I got the V2 and I like it. Sounds great, looks good and it help with the low end, it's worth the money.

Quick Reply: Best SRI for 08 lancer?