Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

80,000 miles... What should I do for maintainence?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2008 | 02:39 PM

80,000 miles... What should I do for maintainence?

I got the car at 15k miles. I've changed the oil every 7500 miles (I only use synthetic oil) at around 42k I changed the gear oil with some redline as referenced somewhere here. I've changed my tires. I've had to change my battery twice. (Living in AZ)

What do you guys recommend I do at this point? I've noticed that my car vibrates a lot when I'm driving, with new tires and alignment done. I notice it especially when AC is going. I also notice my car kind of "jump" a little when going into third gear and sometimes 4th. My car just feels not so smooth anymore, and I was wondering what I should do to get the smooth drive back.

This is what I have come up with that I should probably do...

Replace Spark Plugs
Timing Belt
Water pump
Motor mounts
Drive belts
Coolant

I'm all about the do it yourself, but I don't know about doing the belts and water pump... What is the most I should pay to have that done, if I buy the parts myself. (Any recommendation on part #'s) for the above items?

Can you think of anything else I should do?
Old Oct 30, 2008 | 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just FYI. Mechanics HATE it when you "bring your own parts." I know I sure do. In fact, I charge extra for the job and make the customer sign a waiver that there's no guarantee on the work if I use their parts. I don't know where those parts came from, and if they fail prematurely, who is going to pay my labor to redo the job? When I get parts from my supplier, they come with a warranty that will replace the part AND PAY FOR MY LABOR IF I HAVE TO REDO THE JOB because of a defect in the part.

My advice: DIY all the way or not at all. You won't save money anyway bringing your own parts. To replace the T-belt, water pump, and both drive belts should run you around $600 with parts and labor. Your local situation may vary, that is an estimate based on prices at an independent import shop in NJ. When I worked at the dealer that service would have run 800-900.
Old Dec 8, 2008 | 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

you'll probably need to change the timing belt tensioner as well
Old Dec 8, 2008 | 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

I got quoted $700 for both motor mounts, timing belt, and water pump here in Vegas

I didn't know how to do any of it, but I managed to do it all myself and learn how to work on my car more in the process and it costed under $100 to do it all (minus water pump, I didnt need a new one, but still got a brand new one in my garage anyways)
Old Dec 8, 2008 | 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

when i was n/a i would do a motor flush every 15k miles. it helped.

is their something wrong with your stock motor mounts?
Old Dec 9, 2008 | 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Don't forget if there is a mount for the transmission. My local mechanic would charge around $580 for the 90k maintenance including the timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, fuel filter, fluid flush (brakes, steering, coolant). Do you need a valve adjustment as well?
Old Dec 10, 2008 | 06:07 AM

i Just recently did my 75000 mile tune. Had no clue how to replace the timing belt/waterpump/tensioner but i went online to all data and downloaded the manual for my car and went to work. Was done in about 4 hours.