Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Help/Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help/Advice Needed.

Hello All,

As I am writing this my 2008 lancer is currently in the dealership shop. I posted up a thread a few days ago concerning my car breaking down experiencing the symptoms like Jerking/low – no revs/ and an overall sputtering and erratic sound. As an update , they have finally pinpointed the problem to the MAF sensor, believing that something hit it and damage it. They also mentioned something about the throttle body, can’t exactly remember. I have the RRM v1 intake and as a result they have voided the warranty on the car. They are charging for the sensor and the labor I believe…( once again, could be missing something as they called me up pretty early this morning woke me up out of bed…might have missed something, I remember talk about ECU needing to be flashed as well)…but yea the MAF sensor and labor comes out to around 750$ I think that’s an insane amount of money. Anyone have any ideas on how I can proceed with this situation? Deals on a MAF sensor ? Just general help is what I am asking guys.

Thx.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yikes, sorry to hear that. First thing I would do is get a full explanation of the problem and go from there. If MAF is the only issue, don't pay for labor just buy the part and DIY. People here can definately help with that. Once you get a full explanation of the issue maybe get a second opinion. Call another trustworthy shop nearby and explain to them and see what they have to say. You can even come back here and give more specifics and see what people have to say. Either way it sounds like you will be at least buying a new MAF sensor which I'm sure won't be cheap...
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your words, and yea I was thinking about just buying the MAF and DIY , but finding parts hasn't been the easiest of jobs..

I hear the MAF sensors in the 08s are the same as the evox and the 06 eclispe, can anyone confirm this?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

I would have them document what they found on the RO and then declined the services. Take your car home, put all the stock equipment back on it and then take to another dealership if possible. Dealership are independantly owned and operated from manufactures.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Quick Update to add more information into the situation the 750 that they are trying to charge me for this is basically the MAF sensor / The Body Assembly and of course the insane labor rate. A bit of good news is that they are willing to match the prices of another shop that may be willing to do the work at a cheaper rate so, basically I kind of have a few options on how to tackle this problem…btw seeing as the car is now voided I feel like maybe I shouldn’t limit myself to a STOCK MAF sensor? I was wondering if maybe anyone knew of some good aftermarket MAF sensors? I mean since ill be paying about 235 for the MAF why not go aftermarket instead of limiting to myself to warranty means when I am not even covered by it.

times like this I wish I had a direct line to Evo_Soul lol

Last edited by Gts_BlackJoker; Feb 19, 2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo 9 guy
I would have them document what they found on the RO and then declined the services. Take your car home, put all the stock equipment back on it and then take to another dealership if possible. Dealership are independantly owned and operated from manufactures.
I was actually thinking about that myself, the thing is the car doesnt run now so I would have to get it towed back to my house , then have it towed to another dealership seems like alot of hassle...but its definitely an option I have given some thought.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Both of the below salvage yards located in New York have the MAF sensor. It is for a 2009 but you can call them up and have them give you the part number and see if it matches, it should be the same. im not sure wehre in new york you are but I bet these guys are much cheaper than 750.

Air Flow Meter
Mitsubishi Lancer 2.4L,AT,SENSOR ONLY A AS1491 $Call Alliance Auto Parts USA-NY(Woodside) Request_Quote 1-800-323-4500 Request_Insurance_Quote

Air Flow Meter
Mitsubishi Lancer 4CYL,STD, A P24330 $Call Medford Auto Wreckers USA-NY(Medford) Request_Quote 1-631-289-1772 Request_Insurance_Quote

OR

go here,

http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/pa...=9&catalogid=2

see if the prices match up, if not order the parts yourself. the sensor itself is <150 bucks. The body assembly im not exactly sure what is meant by it but yea im not sure if a reflash is needed. I would consider buying a new maf sensor, putting it to stock and taking it to a nother dealer IF there is still a problem
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Lancer0220 you are the man, called up the salvage yard and they have it in stock for 50 bucks , while as mitsu wanted to charge me 238 for the sensor.

EDIT: I called the dealership back and they stated that body assembly is actually a part?

Last edited by Gts_BlackJoker; Feb 19, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gts_BlackJoker
Lancer0220 you are the man, called up the salvage yard and they have it in stock for 50 bucks , while as mitsu wanted to charge me 238 for the sensor.

WOOT!!!

hopefully it works , get the warranty from the salvage yard, should be lie 5 bucks or so.

im glad I can help. post the outcome of everything.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gts_BlackJoker

EDIT: I called the dealership back and they stated that body assembly is actually a part?

Ask them to show you where on the car or where on the their shop books this part is, try to locate it and im sure the salvage yard has it, are they talking about the throttle body ?

in that case the salvage yard should have it
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I believe they are talking about the Throttle Body
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-20...Q5fAccessories

throttle body

throttle body 2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Throt...Q5fAccessories

the 2nd one comes with a "lifetime warranty"

i honestly dont see why the throttle body has to be replaced.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help...

Update2: So, now that I was able to find a MAF sensor already for 50, the problem was what the hell exactly was the body assembly, ..turns out the body assembly thing they were talking about was for the stock airbox replacement, as i have mentioned i have the RRM v1 intake. well heres where things seem like the dealership was basically trying to squeeze out as much money out of me as possible because I already told them that the stock airbox was literally sitting in the backseat everytime i talked to them... so although they were aware of it being there i guess they thought it was cool to charge me for it still...so now that I know for fact it isnt the throttle body as i once believed...its basically just the MAF sensor that needs to be replaced..

That 750 price tag seems to have been a random *** number. lol

Last edited by Gts_BlackJoker; Feb 19, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

nice, seems like the stealership is living up to their name. i say get the 50 maf sensor, hook it up to the stock airbox let the car idle for 15 minutes and you should be good no reflash is needed.

the 750 price tag just fell to 50.00

woot!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Indeed , also since alittle accident I have a few months back it seems like going with a drop in filter and keeping the stock air box so to avoid problems like this in the future....

or until i get a CAI in the later months =)

Ill keep this thread updated until the problem is fully resolved.

Quick Reply: Help/Advice Needed.