Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

need some help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some help!

Could a bad MAF cause an engine to hesitate or "stutter" during acceleration. EGR is fine and all plugs, wires, and coils are replaced.

Hep ME!! Hep ME!!!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Is the MAF plugged in....
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:10 PM

Yep. Here is the wierd thing. It's around 70 degrees here, but the other day the temp dropped to around 48. The hesitation didn't happen. Yesterday when it warmed up, hesitations at the 2500-3500 rpm level. If you slowly increase acceleration it doesn't happen, but during faster acceleration every time. Especially when you have to let off and then press again.

Thanks
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Can I see some pictures of your intake setup and pictures of the maf sensor. Check the honeycombs out too.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:19 AM

Sorry, my pics for some reason will not work on here, but I will have some on here in a couple of days. I was looking around yesterday and (i don't know what it's officially called) I undid the housing on top of the throttle that has the large spring in it, kinda made the lever move a bit, and afterwards the car drove fine. This morning when I was getting on the highway, and this has happened before, when I turned left and accelerated it started again. Could that lever be sticking?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

I know you replaced your plugs, but I would check the gap and maybe replace again. could easily be as simple as that
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:15 AM

When I got the plugs from NAPA, they told me they were pregapped to the correct size, and I didn't want to use my slide gap on the iridium plugs. Think that might be it or did the guy feed me a load of crap?

thanks
Old Apr 2, 2009, 02:07 PM

I tell ya, I am just about ready to give up and bring this thing to someone. All the coils, wires, and plugs are new. MAF is good. (I switched one with a buddy who's was fine.) Every thread I look for suggests plugs, wires, etc. and cleaning injectors....done all that. Still get a skipping/stuttering..whatever you call it...between 2500-3500 rpm. What's crazy is that it has gone away and then come back. Yesterday car worked great. Today there is the stutter.

any last minute ideas before I have to let go of my wallet???

Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

loose connection somewhere? I'd say hook up a voltmeter and see if there is any fluctuation between those rpms when you're having issues
Old Apr 2, 2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jehuty
Can I see some pictures of your intake setup and pictures of the maf sensor. Check the honeycombs out too.
wats the purpose of the honey combs in the MAF
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

it helps the the maf get an accurate reading by reducing turbulence
Old Apr 3, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by taylor25
I tell ya, I am just about ready to give up and bring this thing to someone. All the coils, wires, and plugs are new. MAF is good. (I switched one with a buddy who's was fine.) Every thread I look for suggests plugs, wires, etc. and cleaning injectors....done all that. Still get a skipping/stuttering..whatever you call it...between 2500-3500 rpm. What's crazy is that it has gone away and then come back. Yesterday car worked great. Today there is the stutter.

any last minute ideas before I have to let go of my wallet???

Thanks!
have you done anything recently to the car to make it do this or did this just start happening out of nowhere?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:13 PM

out of nowhere. Over a year ago, I had something similar start, and it turned out to be #2 coilpack. Fixed it no problem. About two months ago, I felt a small vibration (sputtering) in the 2500-3500 rpm range during 2nd gear, and thought perhaps the same problem. Changed all plugs, wires, and coils to be sure, but problem didn't stop, actually progressed to 3rd gear (same rpm range) and sometimes 4th. I'm unsure now about what it could be. There has been a couple of days it hasn't happened, so I don't think it is anything like tranny related. it idles fine and the clutch doesn't slip. I just can't pinpoint it. I dont think it is the TPS, cause I unplugged it yesterday and the same thing still happened.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Complink
it helps the the maf get an accurate reading by reducing turbulence
incorrect. the 'honeycomb' inside the MAF is a resistor. it is a heated sensor...basically at idle the film that composes the honeycomb operates at a given temperature. as the airflow inside the inlet is increased (accelerating/opening the throttle) the film inside becomes cooler from to passing air and requires more current to operate at the same temperature. the computer compensates the amount of fuel injected based upon this signal.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
test the voltage to the TPS. its not uncommon if the filament inside becomes worn for a funny idle or a flat spot in acceleration.

let me sleep on this more and i'll get back to you soon....but i'm leaning towards throttle positioning sensor right now.

Quick Reply: need some help!