Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

ebay catback

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ebay catback

I just installed my N1 catback that I bought off ebay. It actually sounds pretty good, however I have a few issues. One, the farthest back hanger (the one that keeps the can up close to the bumper) is barely in the rubber boot. I need to put a stopper at the end and I tried some 3/8 inch axel hats (like the kind you would use on the end of an axel for things with basic, usually plastic, wheels such as a garbage can) but they are way too small. Now obviously the idea here is to pick a hat that is somewhat smaller than the hanger on the exhaust, but 3/8 is too small. I'm thinking maybe a 10mm hat if they make it might work.... however, I was wondering if any of you have done anything similar.

The other thing is, I can't get the stupid silencer out (yes, i removed both of the hex nuts that hold it in place). I even tried bending a hanger and sticking it in the silencer and pulling from behind... but it won't budge. I tapped it a few times with the hammer since it kinda looked like it was stuck to the exhaust tip itself, and it has no problem being pushing in... but it wont come OUT. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
To remove the silencer, try spinning it as you remove it. Also make sure that the muffler tip doesn't have any bends in it and that it's still a perfect circle so the silencer can slide out. As for the muffler hanger, just go to your local muffler shop and have them tweak the existing hanger or cut it off and weld on a new one that properly slides into the bushing. Sounds like typical fitment of an ebay aftermarket product.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:55 PM

I dont really have a way of grasping the silencer to spin it. I tried grabbing it by the inner piper of the silencer and turning and all it did was bend it. I know for a fact others here have gotten the same exact exhaust and fixed both of these issues. Hopefully they see this thread .
Old Jun 6, 2009, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

well when i got mine and put my silencer to try it, i had to use a pair of pliars to grab the little piece of the inner tube of the silencer to pull it out since it was a tight fit.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:07 PM

Yeah I tried vice grips and it still hasn't worked. I've been wondering if maybe i drive it with the silencer for a while if the heat expansion will loosen it up. Also I am going to pick up some 7/16 in hats tomorrow and hopefully those will be tight but fit by tapping it with a hammer. Otherwise I may try to fill a 1/2 in hat with some high temp silicone since that is an exact (but not tight enough) fit and hope that the silicone holds.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OhSixLancer
Otherwise I may try to fill a 1/2 in hat with some high temp silicone since that is an exact (but not tight enough) fit and hope that the silicone holds.
Dude, just go to a muffler shop and get it fixed properly.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:20 PM

How much do you think it would cost for them to extend the hanger with like a 40 or 45 degree bend.. or do you think it should be 90. I would just think with 90 it would be hard to take it off if it needed to be done.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Any suggestions to get the silencer off this exhaust if...
- Getting the exhaust HOTT to soften tip and silencer
- Using massive amounts of WD40 to try and loosen it up
- Grabbing it with vice-grips and pulling as hard as possible
.. all have not worked. It has pushed in a little but has not budged at all trying to yank it out. Can an exhaust shop get it out, or is this a newbie task I should just keep working on? I think the tip might not be perfectly round or something. Thanks for the help
Old Oct 11, 2010, 02:56 PM

Ive done this a few times, I think vice grips will be your best bet!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eusgen
Any suggestions to get the silencer off this exhaust if...
- Getting the exhaust HOTT to soften tip and silencer
- Using massive amounts of WD40 to try and loosen it up
- Grabbing it with vice-grips and pulling as hard as possible
.. all have not worked. It has pushed in a little but has not budged at all trying to yank it out. Can an exhaust shop get it out, or is this a newbie task I should just keep working on? I think the tip might not be perfectly round or something. Thanks for the help
What I actually did on my srs exhaust was take a normal ol pair of pliers, put them straight in the tube, then opened them inside, and just shimmy'd back and forth til the thing came out. The more I use it, the harder it is to remove it each time. By open them I mean really pull the handles apart enough to get friction on the inside of the pipe.

Also, about the hanger, I banged on mine with a hammer to straighten it out a bit to make it reach and keep it from leaning on my bumbper.

With the silencer in it sounds a little farty, kind of muffled like someone's holding a tshirt over my exhaust, and with it out it sounds like I am trying to race the dude next to me at every single stop light....seriously, you should see the old ladies smash on the gas when they hear RRRRRRMMMMM, like I'm about to cut them off or something.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting really desperate, I can't get this damned silencer out. I have gotten a firm grip with vice-grips and the whole back end of the car moves as I pull on the silencer will all my weight and force I can muster, it just wont budge.

Just tried your pliars method... my fingers hurt, i am light headed, and it still didn't budge. It won't spin or come out. It has however moved in like 1 cm (previous to this effort).

Last edited by eusgen; Oct 12, 2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eusgen
I'm getting really desperate, I can't get this damned silencer out. I have gotten a firm grip with vice-grips and the whole back end of the car moves as I pull on the silencer will all my weight and force I can muster, it just wont budge.

Just tried your pliars method... my fingers hurt, i am light headed, and it still didn't budge. It won't spin or come out. It has however moved in like 1 cm (previous to this effort).
tap it back in then to make sure it's straight...don't push it all the way, just make sure it's not caddy-wompus
Old Oct 16, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

When you got the silencer out what exactly did it look like? lol. was it two cylinders with the 1" pipe through the middle? Im so confused.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, a piece of pipe, the inside and 2 discs that are the width of the muffler.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:32 PM

Do you ever plan on putting the silencer back in? I would honestly say reach in there with a dremel and just cut two straight spots to weaken the silencer, let it "crumble," and pull it out. If you ever want another silencer, they are like $10 on eBay, just scoop up another one.

Quick Reply: ebay catback