Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Spark Plugs and Wires

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plugs and Wires

Hello,

What spark plugs and wires do you guys recommend for a 03 lancer oz? The car has 97,000 miles and Ive decided it may need new plugs and wires by now and looking at the how to instructions it seems to be something I could try to do myself.

Anyway, I had the magnacore ones on RRM bookmarked but for whatever reason the quit selling them. That said what plugs and wires do yall recommend and why?

Also, Besides for plugs and wires what else if anything should be changed at same time? I ask as saw a ebay ad talking about some kind of coils or something so am wondering if those should also be changed at same time and if so how much more difficult does that make the job?

Justin
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Plugs are plugs and wires are wires, get whatever the manual recommends. I think NGK makes some wires that are pretty cheap.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would use ngk plugs and wires. But you could call the local dealer to see the price of wire because the ngk wires are 100 from Speed corps. And I don’t know how much stock is. And you can get the plugs from the local auto parts for like 2 $ each. As for the coils they are the 2 large boxes located on the valve cover in the number 2 and 4 cylinders. I do now know when they should be replaced. I am cheap and in college usually don’t replace an easy to get to part unless it fails. As for what other things should be done it depends. How long have you owned the car and what if anything has been done? The timing belt should be replaced every 60,000 miles and that is important if it fails the engine could and more than likely will be toast. Does the car have a manual or automatic transmission? If its auto has the Trans fluid been serviced as it should be? And if it's manual I would just change it if it hasn’t been lately it takes 75-90 gear oil. O and of course the oil in the engine. Check your air filter if it's dirty replace it or clean it if applicable.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Hello 02,

Ive only had car few months but last owner didnt do any maintanance on it so Im trying to make up for that and just do whatever needed done but wasnt done.

I havent had the flushes done but plan to do that soon though.

So far have changed

Cat Converter (check engine light came on because old one was no good)
Oil Change (including filter)
Serpentine Belt
Altenator Belt
Timing Belt
Water Pump.

The next things Im going to do very soon are as followed.
NGK Plugs (since am unsure where to purchase the magnacor ones)
NGK Iridium Spark plugs.

What I dont know about is the coil things like ones in link below as am unsure rather these are good or another is better.

http://tinyurl.com/kupcg7

Other than that was planning to change the radiator hoses at same time as it looks to be a easy thing to do as well, was thinking to use the OBX ones like in link below. But again am unsure rather there may be ones more recommended.

http://tinyurl.com/kvfbcl

Justin
Old Aug 26, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did a bunch of searches for "obx ignition", "obx coils", "performance coils", "performance ignition", "obx", "coils", and "ignition" and didn't find anything conclusive...just a bunch of people saying they didn't know, that obx is junk, their warranty sux, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone has bought these and had a before and after dyno sheet to show any improvements...or even if they have any changes in lean/rich readings based on the supposed increased spark/spark efficiency?

I've only messed with OBX intakes/exhaust so far, not sure how I feel about their electronics.

Would it even be worth it as a standalone upgrade, or would you need to include a management unit like the ones in this THREAD?

And then if you're going to spend the money on the management units, would you even bother with the dual coil setup or would you just go to a direct-fire 4-coil system?
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:47 PM

I got NGK iridium. there's awesome. with some autozone wires. I was gonna set up a MSD ignition control thing but seems complicated. Anyone interested in buying it. It was $230 but i'm willing to trade or sell. let me know.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:58 AM

I also have NGK iridium plugs. They are amazing like Ketch said. I kept the stock ignition coils. Way to expensive to just replace when they are not broke. Remember dont fix it if it isnt broken... Look into get your alternator upgraded/rebuilt to a higher amperage and check out a optima D35 yellowtop battery. You pay twice as much for the battery but it lasts 3 times longer... Just a some thoughts for you...