Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

ENGINE SCRECHING SOUND when Rev'd

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009 | 11:32 AM
Evolving Member

ENGINE SCRECHING SOUND when Rev'd

Hey,
I have had a turbo kit on for about 25,000 miles. Just the other day my motor began making a loud screeching sound only if you rev the throttle.
Any one have any ideas?
My thoughts were the tensioner pulley bearing is warn out.
or the crank shaft bearing.
Any one have bearing related problems?
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I doubt its the crank bearing i think your probably closer with the tensioner pulley or one of those pulleys. or maybe just a loose belt?
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed with the belts. Gotta be somewhere in there. Make sure they are tight and go from there if it doesnt fix it.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-07...Q5fAccessories

Maybe its the bearing with the kit?

This problem started right after my battery died and i had to jump start my lancer. When the clamps where removes off the battery the alternator took a large load because of the low battery AND the noise began.
Any ideas?
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

alternator belt. the tensioner wouldnt squeal. Its definitely the alternator belt. Thats what I was leaning towards in the first place, but you've verified me now. Check the tension on it. Is your charging system working properly? If not, you may have a fried alternator. How did you jump? Did you hook positive to positive, negative to negative? Or did you do it the correct way and hook positive to positive, chassis to chassis? Anyways, check the tension on the alternator belt and we'll go from there.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

I had a hell of an issue with my alt belt when I first got my lancer up and running, they were all new belts and just couldnt get it to stop, then for the longest time it would still do it on startup for a few seconds (I was working graveyard at the time and I am sure my neighbors LOVED me at 11:30pm right outside their bedroom window lol) Possible maybe your belt stretched at that instant enough to start the noise?
Old Aug 15, 2009 | 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

its going in the shop on Tuesday, so ill let everyone know.
I jumped it via a Vector Battery pack directly on the battery.
Old Sep 24, 2009 | 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem. When im going up hill and step on the gas the noise get pretty lound and annoing inside the car. I have been wondering where its coming from too . Let me know what the shop said cuz I want to fix it ASAP lol.

Last edited by pdizzle; Sep 24, 2009 at 11:00 PM.