Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Simple timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple timing belt question

I did a quick search, dident really find a definitive answer.

Timing belt tension. I see this engine doesent have a "Auto Tensioner" but it has a spring. How hard is it to set the tension of the timing belt?

Only experiance with Tbelts are Toyota and Nissan, Toyota has hydraulic tensioners, and the few Nissans that have belts you set by feel and deflection( you are the auto tensioner just tighten nut when you have the right tightness. To loose or to tight and they whine like a Super charger )

I see in the service manual it says to install belt, loosen tensioner bolt, and turn a couple rotations so the spring on the tensioner does its job. That pretty much the standard or you guys do anything different?

For some reason I dont know why, I have a faint memory of being at the mitsu dealer(almost worked there) talking to the tech doing a timing belt, and he measured the tensioner with a micrometer, saying a good set distance is a good tension, but I wanna say that was on a V6 or 2.4L

And I know by trial and error manuals can be wrong or misguiding =p Just wanna be able to put it on the lift and get it in and out asap the longer iam at work on my day off the more grumpy I get =p and I just dont wanna run into a stupid little problem of not setting right tension lol