Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Is it possible to make an all motor lancer beat a stock mustang?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Having projects or goals is great but you also have to be realistic and understand what you're getting into. As far as money is concerned, I cannot see how this could be rationalized. The Mustang is a 13.8 second car stock while, according to the same publication, the Lancer is a 16.5 second car. You need to cut 2.7 seconds just to run the same time. Currently there are not a lot of options as far as mods are concerned meaning you'll be a trailblazer for much of the way. Being a trailblazer may make you popular on the internet but it quickly drains your wallet.

It's like when you start figuring things out and what you can buy it turns into an obsession. When that obsession takes over, you can just kiss your wallet goodbye. Yes, it's something different/ No, I'm not hating that you're doing something different. To be honest, from a guy that spent basically as much as the car in mods, keep your lancer stock, or do some mild mods, and get something you know that will have the aftermarket available to do what you want to do on the cheap..dare I say...honda? Thats my .02
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:14 AM

maybe nitrous will do the trick...
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
If you want to kiss your motor goodbye, sure.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:49 AM
Account Disabled

Its possible, predator ran high 14's with their gts basically stock, they tuned it put in exhaust upgrades (HKS), lightweight crank pulley (IMO would not put one on my gts due to all the oil and harmonic problems people have had), intake. Im sure if you could obtain and key word here COULD obtain some performance internals such as cams etc. but they would probably have to be custom unless you know of a company making performance internals for the gts. Also get some carbon fiber parts, lightweight rims you could probably get to mid 13's, after running up a pretty hefty bill for sure tho, just go custom turbo if you have the experience and know-how.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Bottom line is this car is not made for power or performance, and why dump all that money into it now, and risk the chance of blowing it up, and voiding the warranty; when in fact you could have bought a Civic SI or a Hyundai Tiburon for the cost of a turbo, and still be lagging behind? Just not worth it to me. It is a nice looking car that should be bought and used for what it is. A econo-box with looks that can be added to with some tint, and personal touches here and there, but I would not recommend trying to get any real numbers squeezed out of this thing. Not what most new owners want to here, but reality hurts sometimes!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kmc8302
Its possible, predator ran high 14's with their gts basically stock, they tuned it put in exhaust upgrades (HKS), lightweight crank pulley (IMO would not put one on my gts due to all the oil and harmonic problems people have had), intake. Im sure if you could obtain and key word here COULD obtain some performance internals such as cams etc. but they would probably have to be custom unless you know of a company making performance internals for the gts. Also get some carbon fiber parts, lightweight rims you could probably get to mid 13's, after running up a pretty hefty bill for sure tho, just go custom turbo if you have the experience and know-how.
That's the PR car isn't it? A word of caution, for whatever reason (likely the combination of a lower altitude and luck), PR cars always seem to run significantly faster than anything on the mainland.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Account Disabled

haha must be that puerto rican rum! Well yes i guess thats true they "claim" to have run a 14.5, I did see a posted pic of the dyno result somewhere but you never know for sure. Still IMO I think its possible to get your car to mid 13's maybe high 13's with enough cash and upgraded parts but there comes to a point on weather its worth it or not.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Oh it's certainly possible but it'll cost quite a lot of money. If the goal is to embarrass some mean old Mustangs, realistically they'll get the last laugh. If someone in a Lancer blew my doors off but proceeded to tell me how they spent 40000$ to do it, I'd call them an idiot for dumping that much money into a Lancer.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

yes you can beat him with the RRM stuff only in a race. all you need to do is get a 6 mile road with lots of turns and twists and challenge him in a grip race. he will either chicken out or crash,lol.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShadowES
yes you can beat him with the RRM stuff only in a race. all you need to do is get a 6 mile road with lots of turns and twists and challenge him in a grip race. he will either chicken out or crash,lol.
Uh no, a Mustang can actually handle pretty decently and given that it's RWD, it has a better drivetrain arrangement. While a modified Lancer may be faster going into the corner, the power advantage of the Mustang will make it faster out which is what matters. Unless this road involves nothing about first gear, the Mustang will still kick your ***. You're crazy if you think a Mustang stands any higher chance of chickening or crashing out.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Uh no, a Mustang can actually handle pretty decently and given that it's RWD, it has a better drivetrain arrangement. While a modified Lancer may be faster going into the corner, the power advantage of the Mustang will make it faster out which is what matters. Unless this road involves nothing about first gear, the Mustang will still kick your ***. You're crazy if you think a Mustang stands any higher chance of chickening or crashing out.
that is if the guy can drive guy,lol. around my home town and ft bragg they are good at stright but not in sideways. when i had my 02 they would just come up with excuses on why not. and id say "dude i got a 2.0 lancer ES its the anti-fast." iknow guys here that cant even make a sucsesful u turn without medianing their stangs.

either way. you have to find the guy that cant drive,lol.

i have raced a WRX with the old lancer and i lost but in a 6.5 mile corse the guy was only 5-10 seconds faster then me he had AWD and a turbo and i had a FF AW-Slow.lol. in a ES come on thats a record or something. lol. my dad told me i was stupid for racing because if i had the same car as that guy id have beaten him horribly,lol.

by the way i had in the 02
injen SRI
removed grills
RRM header
HF cat
Cat back
195/50/16
1.8 drop in fron and 1.0 drop in back
with an automatic.

Last edited by ShadowES; Oct 14, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

that is if the guy can drive guy,lol. around my home town and ft bragg they are good at stright but not in sideways. when i had my 02 they would just come up with excuses on why not. and id say "dude i got a 2.0 lancer ES its the anti-fast." iknow guys here that cant even make a sucsesful u turn without medianing their stangs.

either way. you have to find the guy that cant drive,lol.

i have raced a WRX with the old lancer and i lost but in a 6.5 mile corse the guy was only 5-10 seconds faster then me he had AWD and a turbo and i had a FF AW-Slow.lol. in a ES come on thats a record or something. lol. my dad told me i was stupid for racing because if i had the same car as that guy id have beaten him horribly,lol.

by the way i had in the 02
injen SRI
removed grills
RRM header
HF cat
Cat back
195/50/16
1.8 drop in fron and 1.0 drop in back
with an automatic.
The same applies to the Lancer, unless you have a good driver, it's a waste of time. Unless you want to put a bad driver in the Mustang and a pro in the Lancer (hardly an accurate comparison), the Lancer won't win.
Are the Mustangs in your area new Mustangs or Mustangs built 10 or more years ago? Just because people in your area don't want to race you doesn't mean they're slow. In the local series this year, two of the fastest cars were older (ie. pre-1995) Mustangs.
Have you ever stopped to think that the person in the WRX wasn't pushing it? If someone in a Lancer raced me at the track, I wouldn't drive at 10/10 because it'd be a waste of fuel. I could drive at my warmup pace and still be faster. None of the mods you listed will have made you substantially faster. Engine wise you maybe gained a couple of HP and suspension wise, springs do **** all (when mated to the stock struts). The only true "performance" modifier there is the tires but since you only listed the size, who knows. Stock WRXs come with crappy all-seasons, if you had decent summers, it would explain it a bit but coming from a WRX driver, it sounds like he wasn't willing to push it as hard as you were, which given that this was likely on the street given the distance stated, was the wiser choice.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:18 AM

just put an end to this now... Any mustang out there pre 2005 are probably going to be modded. forget about it. any mustang out there post 2005 will still beat you. unless you have a turbo and know how to drive dont attempt it. There end ... unless its an 80 4 cyl. XD rofl
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

In a recent Car and Driver the Mustang won in handling beating out the new 2010 Camaro and Challenger; so I highly doubt a Mistubishi Lancer has a snowballs chance in Puerto Rico of beating a Stang in the Mountains or corner track! SORRY. By the way, I live 1 1/2 hours from Bragg and was stationed their. I will meet you there with any of my friends Mustangs and see who comes out of the corner last. Not bashing just being real!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:19 AM

iknow guys here that cant even make a sucsesful u turn without medianing their stangs.
you have to find the guy that cant drive,lol.
thats ridiculous, whats the point in that? he wants to know if he can make his car as fast as a mustang, not how to fool himself (which he cant because he will always know it was a fake race), and youll look and feel so so so pathetic trying to brag about it, as if you have actually beaten a mustang leaving out the part where it says the other guy couldnt even drive, might as well just make it all up and safe yourself the time youll waste to stage the race, because if you win like that your not wining anything. it wouldnt mean anything, i would feel depressed if the only way i could win was by racing someone who cant drive!

Quick Reply: Is it possible to make an all motor lancer beat a stock mustang?