Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM web claim, question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM web claim, question

RRM intake, does it really make a noticeable difference other then the sound? because to my understanding an air intake makes just a small difference in power, such that you probably wouldnt even notice, yet RRM claims on their web site that just with their intake you will "drop a full second of 0 to 60 times" and that would be VERY noticeable, and to accelerate a full second quicker just with an air intake sounds too good to be true... so contradictory to all i have read about air intakes, RRM's intake really is very noticeable (driving wise), is this actually true? those who have an RRM intake, do you really feel any difference other then the sound? does it accelerate that much quicker??

from what i have read up on till now, with just an intake, this is almost impossible and practically ridiculous, but i wonder why would the claim this in their web site? is it possible to achieve such a gain with that intake?

anybody from RRM please? I would really appreciate if you would take a moment to explain.

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

I will say that there is def a difference between the stock and the RRM V2. I can't say if its a whole second difference cuz i don't really time myself and I don't normally do 0-60 runs on the street. The way i see it is that it let me change my throttle input for different driving styles that i use and the car feels much better with it than without it.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 05:24 AM

There is a difference over stock - no doubt about that. The sound is louder and you might notice a SLIGHT increase in power at the higher RPM's....but a full second off 0-60? No. Not even close. Most of what you notice is just that the driving experience changes - the engine has a roar at wide open throttle. But don't expect to put this in and have a hugely noticeable power gain. Manufacturers make all sorts of ridiculous claims about their products. I use the Injen CAI but have never used the RRM SRI. From what I've read, the CAI is better than the SRI, and I only notice a slight power gain. We're talking a handful of HP's at most - and if you can tell the difference between 152 HP and 155 HP then you're a savant.

IMO, you should not expect a super fast car with bolt on mods like this for a 2.0L N/A engine. What you should expect is a sportier driving experience. And when the mods add up, you might start to see a multiplier effect as the mods work in series with each other to produce the powergain you want, i.e. an intake + exhaust + reflash + headers will produce a lot more extra power than any one of the mods alone. I know when I installed my intake the sound was great but power was eh, but then when I installed the exhaust I immediately noticed the difference (weight loss of that huge stock muffler might have helped).

Hope this helps, believe people in here - not the manufacturers, they're trying to sell their product by whatever means necessary.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

all noise. maybe a 1-3hp gain id say just get a DropIn filter. ive had a drop in and then i bought the Injen CAI for fun and the only difference between the 2 is the noise. i wish i stuck with the DropIn

oo and RRM claims it drops a whole second because thats how cool they are.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

lol RRM has gotten in water about this before.. they lied to a customer and told him he could get 200hp on his 08 lancer from intake exhaust piggy and 2 pullys https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...rally-evo.html

but in all honesty that claim is nothing more than a marketing scam..its impossible for a piece is rubber and plastic with a filter on it to drop a full second, i bought it used from an evom memeber about a year in a half ago and honestly i think it just makes my car unnecessarily loud

i think they realize that the lancer market has many young teenagers who just want to go fast, so they tell them what they want to hear..and being young and mechanically uneducated..they buy it based off what the company says..ive seen it happen in many other markets

Last edited by JHizzle; Sep 25, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the comments,

I thought 1 full second was too much for just the intake, but i also thought lying to your costumers that way was too much, both were hard to believe.

So if they lied about their products results, could it be possible that they could some times be lying about their products quality, etc? I dont know, its just the first obvious question that come to mind, what else is a lie?....
Old Sep 26, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

possibly..all comes down to your personal thought and experiences. there are some here who have good experiences with them..and others..not so much, but you wont hear many negative comments about them on these forums because the company posts regularly on here and ive seen them get members banned for "no reason specified" because they talked about RRM, corrupt? yes but oh well.. i have my thoughts but i sit back and be quiet sometimes..and let some people learn on their own.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by JHizzle
possibly..all comes down to your personal thought and experiences. there are some here who have good experiences with them..and others..not so much, but you wont hear many negative comments about them on these forums because the company posts regularly on here and ive seen them get members banned for "no reason specified" because they talked about RRM, corrupt? yes but oh well.. i have my thoughts but i sit back and be quiet sometimes..and let some people learn on their own.
Being a lancer owner i have found this forum to be very useful and informative, its great to be able to talk to other lancer owners and listen to their feedback and experiences, with this post im not trying to attack anybody or create any controversies, my only goal is to be well informed and make the right decision as a costumer and for my car. if me asking or anybody else speaking what they think is a reason for getting banned from this forum i would definitely be completely disappointed, and impeding me from making a right decision for my car and my wallet would obviously render this forum useless for me, their for i might as well be banned anyway.
I dont think this is the case, and i think this is one of the reasons this forums exist, im kinda new here, but from what i know evolutionm are doing a good job for lancer owners, up until now its been a good experience for me

Now, if you all have any suggestions for a good intake please give me your opinion, sense the HP doesnt make much difference, which one sounds better? dont want it too loud... just a subtle but noticeable deep sound, do you think a drop in would be a better idea in my case? thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

definitely go with the injen CAI very good reviews..decent gains..and dosent make your car sound obnoxiously loud
Old Sep 28, 2009, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by g.romay
Being a lancer owner i have found this forum to be very useful and informative, its great to be able to talk to other lancer owners and listen to their feedback and experiences, with this post im not trying to attack anybody or create any controversies, my only goal is to be well informed and make the right decision as a costumer and for my car. if me asking or anybody else speaking what they think is a reason for getting banned from this forum i would definitely be completely disappointed, and impeding me from making a right decision for my car and my wallet would obviously render this forum useless for me, their for i might as well be banned anyway.
I dont think this is the case, and i think this is one of the reasons this forums exist, im kinda new here, but from what i know evolutionm are doing a good job for lancer owners, up until now its been a good experience for me

Now, if you all have any suggestions for a good intake please give me your opinion, sense the HP doesnt make much difference, which one sounds better? dont want it too loud... just a subtle but noticeable deep sound, do you think a drop in would be a better idea in my case? thanks!

Pretty sure they do cater to vendors as there have plenty of threads deleted bashing RRM. One in particular being that one huge thread about 20 pages long that got deleted because everyone was bashing RRM
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

honestly a 16.6 to a 15.6 would still feel about the same SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by constantlehigh
There is a difference over stock - no doubt about that. The sound is louder and you might notice a SLIGHT increase in power at the higher RPM's....but a full second off 0-60? No. Not even close. Most of what you notice is just that the driving experience changes - the engine has a roar at wide open throttle. But don't expect to put this in and have a hugely noticeable power gain. Manufacturers make all sorts of ridiculous claims about their products. I use the Injen CAI but have never used the RRM SRI. From what I've read, the CAI is better than the SRI, and I only notice a slight power gain. We're talking a handful of HP's at most - and if you can tell the difference between 152 HP and 155 HP then you're a savant.

IMO, you should not expect a super fast car with bolt on mods like this for a 2.0L N/A engine. What you should expect is a sportier driving experience. And when the mods add up, you might start to see a multiplier effect as the mods work in series with each other to produce the powergain you want, i.e. an intake + exhaust + reflash + headers will produce a lot more extra power than any one of the mods alone. I know when I installed my intake the sound was great but power was eh, but then when I installed the exhaust I immediately noticed the difference (weight loss of that huge stock muffler might have helped).

Hope this helps, believe people in here - not the manufacturers, they're trying to sell their product by whatever means necessary.
also remember to explain thatputting a bunch of bolt ons dont mean the power will stack. i talked to brian at RRM he told me that if you was to get everything from them you would only get about 160WHP outa a 2.0 N/A

That sounds reasonable to me. your not gonna be super fast or anything but you may just get close to a 14.7 at the fastest.(with a manual)
Old Nov 12, 2009, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowES
honestly a 16.6 to a 15.6 would still feel about the same SLOW!!!!!!!!!!!
we were talking about 0 to 60 times..... and just so you know, you WILL feel the difference of a full second to 60