Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

When should I change out my CAI filter?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When should I change out my CAI filter?

Hey guys, there might be a thread in here already with this info but I couldn't find it and got lazy looking.

I installed an Injen CAI about 3 months ago and I was wondering when I should swap out the filter. I was thinking around 8,000-10,000 miles? I'm not sure. And if any Macguiver out there knows a way to swap it out without having to take off the front bumper, let me know. Otherwise its gonna be a lot of work just to swap a filter.

Thanks doods.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

just pull back the plactic in the fender well and i think u could remove the plastic underneath the car 2 kuz i deff dont wana take my bumper off again either and im changing mine soon im doing like a fall tune up new tires brakes oil change and coolant and then filter i might go with a different brnad though the replacement injen filter is like 60 buks
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just clean your filter...they sell cleaning kits at autoparts stores
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

umm the injen CAI filter should last you much longer than 8k miles. do you have a blueish filter or a reddish filter?

if its blue its AMSoils dry filter, in that case just follow amsoils cleaning and no oil is needed should last well over 60k miles.

if its a red one then its a k&n (i believe) wet filter, use a k&n recharge kit on it and it should be good to go, both filters should last you over 60k miles as long as you clean/recharge them.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOEuro
just clean your filter...they sell cleaning kits at autoparts stores
clean or replace he still gotta get it off the tube to wash the filter with the K&N cleaner with replacement oil kit thing.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

the Injen CAI as long as u bought it new uses an Amsoil dry filter which just needs to be washed.... no oil, no replacement.. and you should clean it when...... it gets dirty..
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:31 AM

thanks guys... I didn't necessarily mean to say I would replace the filter... rather that I would check it out and clean it (used to make these for a living at a filter company, so i know pretty well how to clean em') but still i gotta get down in there which is a pain. and I wasn't sure when it might need the cleaning, just looking for what you guys have experienced.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

dont WASH the dry filter use a low pressure shop vac to dust it off.

he probably has the oil filter because most vendors still have the old stock 2.0l intakes that dont have the AMSoil dry filter, either way cleaning it is easy, just remove your driverside wheel to get better access.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 11:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cRc`22
the Injen CAI as long as u bought it new uses an Amsoil dry filter which just needs to be washed.... no oil, no replacement.. and you should clean it when...... it gets dirty..
Plus it came out 2nd place in the filter shootout that was done on a dyno for some guys here on evom, 1st place was perrin, however perrin is an oiled filter.

AMSOIL filters are very nice looking, with a front cone velocity stack style filter.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
dont WASH the dry filter use a low pressure shop vac to dust it off.

he probably has the oil filter because most vendors still have the old stock 2.0l intakes that dont have the AMSoil dry filter, either way cleaning it is easy, just remove your driverside wheel to get better access.
that works better then the old oil kits.lol. but i still like my K&N.(not on lancer) i had injen on my old 02 lancer.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

According to Injen F&Q section...

15. How often you need to clean your filter will depend on the air and road conditions in your area. Most filters require cleaning before the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 40,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage and once every six months if you are located in a dirty environment. If you are running with a cold air intake we recommend checking the filter every 10,000 vê 15,000. Using a Hydro-Shield will reduce service intervals.

http://www.injen.com/docs/injen/cont...ct=faq_landing
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

^ What he said! LOL
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cRc`22
.. and you should clean it when...... it gets dirty..
^this
Old Oct 15, 2009, 03:27 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by momokoo
According to Injen F&Q section...

15. How often you need to clean your filter will depend on the air and road conditions in your area. Most filters require cleaning before the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 40,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage and once every six months if you are located in a dirty environment. If you are running with a cold air intake we recommend checking the filter every 10,000 vê 15,000. Using a Hydro-Shield will reduce service intervals.

http://www.injen.com/docs/injen/cont...ct=faq_landing

I was gonna post the exact same thing until i saw/read this, haha.
Good infomation.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Domolution
I was gonna post the exact same thing until i saw/read this, haha.
Good infomation.
Thanks!!

Quick Reply: When should I change out my CAI filter?