Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

NA Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think ill be doin NA than Turbo if moneys available...less backpressure the better a turbo runs...i think.

so ill get the cheap-o ebay intake...cuz its gonna change with turbo anyways =) but i might go with RIPPS s/c'r...so i dunno....
Old Dec 2, 2003, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea when there's less backpressure, that means that the exhaust is escaping at higher speeds. this will translate into the turbo spooling faster.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

If nothing else, if you properly tuned an NA system to take full advantage of the engine, you'd at least have to build a new exhaust to accomodate the turbo. NA engines don't really like the "Wide Open" stuff.

I asked Dave at RPW several months ago how much HP I could get out of NA and keep her a daily driver. Including cams, dual TBs that sort of stuff. his response- 160WHP and it would still be a little rough to drive. I've never considered Dave a salesman. He comes off as more of the engineer type. I respect that.

Who knows. Until someone's willing to sacrifice their grocery getting Lancer to go all out NA we will only be able to speculate.

My $.02
Old Dec 6, 2003, 01:08 AM
Evolved Member

heh never really knew NA didnt like 'wide open stuff' oh well...wut about a supercharger??? would u want a free flow exhaust like one for a turbo or wut? i think im planning on the supercharger....just comes down to price really.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

go turbo
Old Dec 6, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Heheeh.. See.. Our cars are SOHCs.. Nothin really on N/A.. So the way to go is forced induction... If we had a DOHC stock, then it would be baddazz to go N/A.... So for me, my opinion, if you have an SOHC, turbo it ..... But see.. to me now, drag is gettin old... Gotta try new events and styles..
Old Dec 6, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

hate to burst your bubble but there is no advantage to having DOHC. Only is beneficial for tuning the engine in the long run. You get no extra horsepower by having DOHC, and you don't lose anything for going NA with SOHC. Properly ground and accurately designed cams compensate for the difference. DOHC just lets you be sloppier in your cam design. No other advantage. (all assuming that both configurations have the same number of valves... 16V in our case)

I thought I put it in this thread, but I guess I didn't... you don't want a wide open exhaust on an NA engine because of the overlap in valve timing. If you don't have enough backpressure in your exhaust system, at low rpms the exhaust valves are open long enough that when the new fuel and air mixture is allowed in through the intake valves a good portion of it will get drawn out the exhaust valves. Hence you have less overall fuel to combust in the cylinder and your torque gets killed. But at higher RPM's this effect is lessened and then you don't have the apparent loss and the NA engine then benefits from the fast flowing exhaust making it possible to clear the cylinders more completely and allows for greater engine performance.
Old Dec 6, 2003, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

sdhtown should start a school

i said supercharger..because when it was tuned RIPPMODS got 207(may of been 202) out of there SDS s/c'r and somewhere ppl said the price was only 3.1k

where the IC-Turbo from RRM(and i have an auto...so i'd need custom piping) is $4k and everyone said a price increase since it will be CARB legal.

Someone with an auto got the non-IC Turbo and they said they got 187whp. which is what RIPPMODS had before the tuning, they got 187 on the 'safe' just to make sure it was all running and put together. And well...20whp is quite a bit for the same price...if u ask me anyways. TURBOit i believe has the Auto non-IC RRM Turbo....i saw the vids
Old Mar 23, 2004, 08:10 PM

go na you'll get more respect running good times plus you get to watch your cars power go up time and time again with each mod you do you can get a lot of power from our heads when ported and cnc machined and really bring it to life with the rpw cam.

and as for sohc not being fast na cars is bull**** a single cam honda holds the 3rd fastest car on the planet position for na cars running in the 10's so dont knock the SOHC baby
Old Mar 25, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

hehe, i'm guessing the two that beat the SOHC are the boys with the DOHC engines.

But yea, he's right, theres no real difference in SOHC than DOHC, other than the DOHC can be more "precise" or some mojo like that. I dunno, I hate talking to mechanics that randomly throw in bs to confuse me futher.