Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

NA Lancer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question NA Lancer

Dose anyone one know how much power can you get from an NA Lancer. No turbo, just bolt on and few other mods. Any help would be good.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one has reached the N/A threshold, however I can tell you it costs a great deal more to go N/A instead of FI. After the Calslam dyno day I'll let you know how much HP I'm running (all N/A).
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Thanx, I was thinking bout goin turbo but I think too much maintenance involved.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by my-lancer
Thanx, I was thinking bout goin turbo but I think too much maintenance involved.
like what? Changing your oil? Letting it warm up and cool down? There isnt too much maintenance that you wont have to do with a finely tuned NA car.

Remember when you start tuning and taking this car to a limit you also have to be on top of maintanene and such.

Hey Jeff,

Lemme know how that goes at the dyno day, you missed a good meet this weekend but I know you had family stuff to do
Old Oct 20, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I really wanted to go, but wasn't able to.
I'm thinking of working with RPW next to see what a dual TB will do for me. Bottom line is go Turbo if you want a cheap(er) solution. The N/A stuff takes forever to show decent gains....all N/A mods stack (overall performance is greater with all the parts rather than pieces).
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

As far as NA goes, one thing I've been tossing around is upping the compression by one half point to an even 10:1, if possible with simply a head gasket replacement. With the stacking theory hopefully in affect, I figure every little bit helps. The bump wouldn't be huge warrant any major tuning changes if any at all and since any NA Lancer should probably have the reflash, you'll be running 91 regardless so there's not threat of any sort of detonation that I can think of. Just another attempt to wring this car of power tighter than a wet rag.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

i agree increased compression would be great for you na folk that want to run 91 octane.

you might be able to get away with a thinner gasket but i dont think our car has that much clearance in the head,

or you could go with some custom pistons that raise the compression.

either way it would achieve the same.
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thinking low buck here. Pistons I think are available at 10.5 and 11 if I remember right. My goal is to rig the gasket to do it simply out of cost. Thinner gasket is gonna be a lot cheaper than prying a block and pulling pistons. I know about the clearance issue so that is definitely a concern...hell, an all metal gasket could be the only way to go so who knows. Time to bust a caliper ruler out and see just how thing and where clearances are! Already tried PM'ing RPW about it a bit before I had my cam installed, but no response, maybe I'll try again. I really think that maybe that half point raise could help in the overall scope, but who knows.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Try e-mailing them. You're much more likely to get a quick response.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Who offers those high comp pistons?
Old Oct 21, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

RPW stocks the 10.5 : 1 higher compression pistons and can special order the 11.5 : 1 pistons as well.

Nice gain we fitted some to a stock vehicle with no computer mods and it ran perfectly with no ignition rattle which is not inconsistent with the mitsubishi "Safe Tune"
Old Oct 21, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

WHich ones did you fit Mitsiman? The 10.5:1?

This is not something I am ready to do just yet but the knowledge can never hurt for future decisions.

WADAD
Old Nov 28, 2003, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

mitsiman, how much for the pistons??? the 11.5 :1 's that is i am very interested, pm me or just reply
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

For NA purpose, what's your HP goal? About 200 HP flywheel, NA is the way to go.

"There isnt too much maintenance that you wont have to do with a finely tuned NA car."

Tuning a TC is a lot harder, and the learning curve is bigger than tuning NA. It's very hard to blowup NA. TC has a small window of error that can be tolerated.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

ok so....an SRI, Larger Throttle Body, Ported Intake Manifold, Headers, Test Pipe, 2.5" catback Piping and a free flow muffler...all that and the reflash.

what kind of HP would i be pushing with that? and an estimated 1/4mi time??

Quick Reply: NA Lancer