Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

RRM header problem + intake issue

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RRM header problem + intake issue

Hi,

I guess I need some help. I installed RRM headers recently on my 2008 Lancer GTS (manual) and there is actually like no performance gain as you can see on the dyno (link below)

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy101/fapers/Lancer%20GTS%202008/?action=view&current=lancer.jpg

Before installing the headers I already had RRM Timing control box, piggyback (standard pretuned by RRM) and K&N drop in filter. All these other modifications gave some nice performance gain. Only the header gave no effect, what pisses my off badly!!!! do you have any suggestions what could go wrong with it????

I'm seriously wondering if it could be caused by an intake. Maybe K&N drop in is not enough, and the engine needs more oxygen (that's only my suggestion). Anyways im thinking about SRI or CAI. BUT I really don't like the loud noise!!! I m thinking to go with CAI since I heard it will be less annoying in means of noise. Is CAI actually more quiet???? The only problem is that where I live the climate is wet (lots of rain and mud, especially when the snow melts in spring). I know Injen has some Hydro shield - but will that ensure enough protection? Maybe there are some other shields or solutions? I also checked and the place where CAI filter is normally located there are some wholes, thought which gallons of water probably splash on that filter every time the wheel hits water.....scary....

Thanks for help!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I doubt anything is wrong, I'm not really surprised your results. If you're stock exhaust manifold was sufficient for the amount of air your engine is moving, the larger pipes of the header won't do anything for performance. Given that your car is only lightly modified, it's not moving a lot of air. If you had cams, higher compression, etc. the header would have a dramatic effect. An intake won't help this.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

that and RRM has stated before its NOT safe to be running the timing control and piggy back at the same time. so if i were you i would remove one of those asap.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

I thought I remember them saying you COULD run them together? I can't remember though, and at the moment im feeling way to lazy to find it.

As for the header, amby is right. I know RRM claims hp gains on the site... but yeah im not gonna get into that.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fapers
Hi,

I guess I need some help. I installed RRM headers recently on my 2008 Lancer GTS (manual) and there is actually like no performance gain as you can see on the dyno (link below)

http://s782.photobucket.com/albums/yy101/fapers/Lancer%20GTS%202008/?action=view&current=lancer.jpg

Before installing the headers I already had RRM Timing control box, piggyback (standard pretuned by RRM) and K&N drop in filter. All these other modifications gave some nice performance gain. Only the header gave no effect, what pisses my off badly!!!! do you have any suggestions what could go wrong with it????

I'm seriously wondering if it could be caused by an intake. Maybe K&N drop in is not enough, and the engine needs more oxygen (that's only my suggestion). Anyways im thinking about SRI or CAI. BUT I really don't like the loud noise!!! I m thinking to go with CAI since I heard it will be less annoying in means of noise. Is CAI actually more quiet???? The only problem is that where I live the climate is wet (lots of rain and mud, especially when the snow melts in spring). I know Injen has some Hydro shield - but will that ensure enough protection? Maybe there are some other shields or solutions? I also checked and the place where CAI filter is normally located there are some wholes, thought which gallons of water probably splash on that filter every time the wheel hits water.....scary....

Thanks for help!
To properly dyno test the results, I would restore your car to stock, PURE stock and work your way up from there. Minimum you can do the test with an exhaust if you have one, then add the Header. See the net gain from there.

Finally if your ECU is like the Canadian one, it may be a little lazy when it comes to learning and the gains may take time to fully be realize. That said since there is so much going on with timing mod + a piggy, its hard to say what your ECU out put is coming up with. Who knows, running both could be running counter one another. So i would go back to stock and work from there. My 421 header results came out with minimal gains after the first pass, after putting many km on it, my runs became progressively better. But this is because of a Canadian ECU behaviour.

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 14, 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:30 AM

anyways, what type of intake system would you suggest for me??

there are 2 thins inmortant for me;

1) I would preferr a quiet one;

2) I live in a wet climat

I found AEM sri with a box, howeever I think it is only for EVO

In the meantime I got a reply from Rob from roadrace and he suggests changing fuel curves!! OK...but how do I do that? does anyone has some good setting values. I really dont want to spend tons of money t have some professional workshop find and adjust it for me....Its propably like a whole day spent on a dyno....and lots of mone....I would appriciate a ready solution

Last edited by fapers; Mar 15, 2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I would suggest staying with the stock intake and putting the money towards something else, like a tune.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JHizzle
that and RRM has stated before its NOT safe to be running the timing control and piggy back at the same time. so if i were you i would remove one of those asap.
probably should'nt be giving advice out unless you know what your talking about.

"Introducing the all new Next Stage Power Pro. This box will revolutionize the way that you mod your car. 8+ HP in minutes and undetectable by the dealer once removed. It takes 2 minutes to install and comes complete with instructions. This unit will work along with our piggy back ECU system for even more power but dynoed alone made 8+ wheel horse power. Works on manual and CVT cars. 89 OCTANE or higher. Fits Sedan and Sportback."
Old Mar 25, 2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by JHizzle
Wow, really??...
I'm pretty sure this statement is the exact OPPOSITE of what Rob and RRM have to say about these two parts. They can work individually or at the same time.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 11:51 AM

For what its worth, I can address your water/flooding concern with the CAI. I've had the Injen CAI on for about a year now, WITHOUT the hydroshield. I live in a valley with a ton of flooding, rain, snow, pretty much horrible weather. I haven't had any issues at all and have no worries about sucking up any water. I'm not going to say it would be impossible, but you'd have to be pretty careless, driving thru something like 2 foot flash floods. The intake filter can get wet and it will not harm the engine. Just want to avoid driving through rivers. I highly recommend it over any SRI. But don't expect it to be super quiet. If you keep rpms low you can remain inconspicuous but at wide open throttle this intake will roar like the rest
Old Apr 7, 2010, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I would suggest staying with the stock intake and putting the money towards something else, like a tune.
+1. what you mentioned about rob telling you to change the fuel curves is basically him telling you to go to a shop and get a custom air/fuel, timing, and other ecu parameter adjustment made specifically on your car. this can take anywhere from an hour or two, up to an entire day depending on the shop and depending on what you want.

this will ultimately end up making your "timing-box" and your "piggy-back" obsolete for your car since all of the proper adjustments can be made in the car's computer, so at least some of the money you end up spending on the tune can be made back if you are able to sell the timing box and the piggyback after you get the custom job done

edit: i just noticed, if you are in poland, i'm not sure how much they would charge to have the tuning service done, but in the us it usually only costs around 500-600 USD, at the most, for a full custom tune including dynamometer time and graphs. just make sure you find a reputable shop with experience working on lancers specifically

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Apr 7, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old May 6, 2010, 05:54 PM

help

ok heres the prob i have, i have a 08 lancer de cali spec (pzev) and the rrm pzev header with the updated cel illimnator and i still have a cel with a p0140 code, o2 sernsor no activity, anyone knoi anything about this problem that can help?
Old May 6, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
same thing happens when people use too many spark plug anti-foulers on their setup when they remove the catalytic converter. the sensor is too far out of the stream of exhaust flow and the system determines it as sensor failure because it is not even able to detect the level of exhaust gasses that would be passing by through normal vehicle setup, let alone your setup. you'll need to open up the sensor's access through the header to the exhaust flow a bit more so the sensor sees at least a little bit more exhaust gas as the car is running. the updated spacer/cel fix is actually doing too good of a job keeping the higher levels of exhaust gas from passing the sensor so not even a normal level is getting through to it. hope that makes sense.