Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Another 4g64 Swap/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2010 | 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bvasquez12
okay so what should i expect, about 150 at the wheels? what would i need to get me to the low to mid 15 quarter mile i want.
150 at the wheels will be a far stretch with a tired motor. With an RPW header, test pipe, catback, intake, good plugs/wires and a tune you might see around 135, give or take, at the wheels depending on how stout the engine really is. The 4G64 comes with around 150hp/160tq factory. So factor in drivetrain loss and mileage wear and go from there.

I you are focused on times then I suggest you look at a good set of sticky tires and a stronger clutch. Also look at weight reduction in your car: gut the trunk, remove the back seat, carbon fiber hood/trunk, etc.
Old May 20, 2010 | 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

Well the reason i said 150 at the wheels is because the first guy to complete this swap put down 167 whp, and 182wtq. i have the same boltons minus the cam, andhe was untuned, this engine tested compression at 180 so it is in good condition. So 150 is too much to ask for?
Old May 20, 2010 | 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Well if the engine is running strong then you should be able to make your 150hp mark. The cam he had was very aggressive and would've made some very good power over stock. Like I said, the tune will tell the tale.
Old May 20, 2010 | 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Hopefully because I just lost to a regular lancer. This sucks, could the tune really be this different from darkmitsus car to mine. To where it would make ne slower than before While his car runs fine.
Old May 21, 2010 | 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it can, every and I mean EVERY engine is different, it doesnt matter if you have the exact same mods or both bone stock they will produce different results so dont fret bro
Old May 21, 2010 | 12:51 AM
Evolving Member

Ok good , I decided I'm going to go get it tuned on the 31st. I'm tired of being slow, so what do you think 02lances? Should I be good for 150 atw with a good tune. I want at least a low to mid 15 sec street car, u think the g64 can do it forme.

Another thing is that I have an aftermarket intake so this could screw up the maf readings right ?
Old May 21, 2010 | 01:20 AM
Evolved Member

Whos this 02lances fella? LOl j/k I think you might be able to get close or even hit it. As senate stated the tune will reveal alot. Yes an intake will throw the maf reading off slightly, will you be using the stock maf and injectors from the engine? If so you can use this thread to help with the intake issue if your tuner does not want to mess with it
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-maf-pics.html
I have referenced this thread alot while tuning my car
Old May 21, 2010 | 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

My bad, 03lances lol, Yea im using the 501 MAF and stock injectors. I cant decide whether to order me a wideband an tactrix cable or to just go get a professional tune, it will cost me the same. but the pro tune will net me the best gains.. Plus ill have a dyno and i think they will set everything up for me, scaling, injectors..etc.

So for a 15 sec car, u think 150whp will get the job done?
Old May 21, 2010 | 03:17 AM
Evolved Member

Jesus christ bro, stop asking the same question over and over again. None of us are really sure, you have to remember that N/A vs Turbo is VERY different. In the G94 community the only people who have hit 150 WHP in Lancers have been turboed, none of us have made it with just bolt ons. So just get it tuned and you tell us.
Old May 21, 2010 | 03:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jehuty
Jesus christ bro, stop asking the same question over and over again. None of us are really sure, you have to remember that N/A vs Turbo is VERY different. In the G94 community the only people who have hit 150 WHP in Lancers have been turboed, none of us have made it with just bolt ons. So just get it tuned and you tell us.
Ok...... mr. Grumpy gills
Old May 21, 2010 | 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Ok...... mr. Grumpy gills
Ha! I love Finding Nemo. Actually, all Pixar movies, but I digress...

Originally Posted by 03lances
Whos this 02lances fella?
It's your bizarro twin on the east coast...

Originally Posted by Jehuty
I hate to say it, but Jehuty is right. You've been asking the same questions over and over and over again and have been fixated with beating your friends in races and making 150whp and how your engine is "slow" and you want us to give you the golden answer as to why.

Thing is is that your engine isn't slow. Your videos show a 4G64 engine running strong, in my opinion. The 4G64 has a completely different torque curve compared to the 4G94. The 4G94 is a very, very torquey engine and peaks very early in the powerband. The the 4G64 is a higher displacement, more balanced engine that makes power evenly throughout the entire powerband with a much better top end in comparison to the 4G94. This is why a 100whp 4G94 Lancer is beating your ~125whp 4G64 Lancer. Horsepower numbers aren't as relevant as an engine's powerband and torque curve. You're slowly learning this, but unwilling to accept it because you feel that your car has more HP so it should be hella faster than your friend's Civic or Lancer or whatever.

My suggestion is to hop on over to the 3G Eclipse forums and spend some time learning about how they are extracting power from their engines without going turbo. Find out what intake works best or what exhaust gives you more power than another exhaust.

Not to come down on you, but this is a Lancer/Evo forum. The members here are more knowledgeable about the 4G94 than the 4G64. You will find the answers you are looking for in a forum that specializes in the engine your car now possesses. Just like guys that have Mirages and swap in a 4G94 engine that come in here asking questions about their new engine. They are going to the source to where the best answers are likely to be found.
</rant>

Pete
Old May 21, 2010 | 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I might be in denial but i'm confident that there's still something wrong with my car. The 3g forum isn't as helpful, trust me I've tried lol, the evom people are soooo much friendlier.

I'm trying To figure out why my car isn't running as it should, I stilll feel like I'm missing something. Another thing I just rememeber is that I'm using one lancer coil and one eclipse, maybe I should switch them to both lancer coils ? I figures they were the same.

I'm hoping this tune will help me out alot.
Old May 21, 2010 | 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Yea I might be in denial but i'm confident that there's still something wrong with my car. The 3g forum isn't as helpful, trust me I've tried lol, the evom people are soooo much friendlier.

I'm trying To figure out why my car isn't running as it should, I stilll feel like I'm missing something. Another thing I just rememeber is that I'm using one lancer coil and one eclipse, maybe I should switch them to both lancer coils ? I figures they were the same.

I'm hoping this tune will help me out alot.
The Eclipse and Lancer coils are the same. Mitsu part #'s confirm this. Since you aren't datalogging and you don't have a wideband you pretty much have no way of knowing what is wrong with your engine (if anything), so you'll need to resort to old school methods. Pull out your plugs and see what they look like. That'll tell you if each cylinder is running too lean/rich. I'm guessing your plugs are probably pretty carbon coated at this point with the maps you are currently running.

On the subject of the coils, you might try switching them out for newer ones. I would've done this anyway to ensure a strong running motor. New coils, new wires and new plugs. Consider it proper maintenance. Is the air filter on your intake a K&N? If so, is it clean or dirty. If it's dirty, clean it and re-oil it.

But all that aside, I say again: you need a tune. If you were running stock 4G64 maps and having issues I would be more likely to pin it on something else.
Old May 21, 2010 | 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Ill try and change out the coils. Im going to go get my car tuned next thursday for sure, i mean as long as nothing else comes up. Im not expecting a super fast car, but a quick daily driver. I mostly did this swap for the parts availability and better starting point, also it was a HUGE learning experience for me, i pretty much paved the way for a 4g63 swap, now i can swap in the 4g63 with little to no modifaction, the mount is there, the sensors are changed, and the differential is swapped, so for now i just want to see what this baby can do with a good tune. THen save up for a while until i do a rebuild and boost, or just swap in a 4g63 off the bat. Either way, ive learned a ton about my car from this swap.
Old Jun 7, 2010 | 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Another pull video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGY3s-RE6l0

I flashed the eclipse tables and settings onto the lancer rom, and heres a pull video. let me know what you guys think compared to the old one.

Quick Reply: Another 4g64 Swap/Build Thread