Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Another 4g64 Swap/Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010 | 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Another 4g64 Swap/Build Thread

OKay so ive been plotting my swap for about a year now. I finally paid my car off and have the funds to do it. i already put the down payment on the motor, it is coming out of a 2000 eclipse rs. I have all my parts and the motor is getting pulled tomorrow from the eclipse. Today i went to the salvage yard and plugged my evo8 ecu in to the eclipse to make sure the motor was good and it ran like a champ. Sunday i will begin pulling my motor and will update the thread with pictures of my progress.
Im using the clutch and flywheel that are already on the car. It ran good and the clutch felt good when we started it up and went through the gears.

Thanks to DarkMitsu for all his Help and information.
Thanks to RPMRuffRyder as well for his answers and research.

Heres my tally so far

*Custom Motor mount bracket - $65
*Slim radiator Fan- $35 www.votionspeed.com
*2003 evo 8 ecu - Roughly $150 (got a deal from a member for $300 i got the
ecu,steering wheel, and shifter assembly with shift knob)
*complete Engine assembly with all accesories $900

Heres a few pics of my Parts

Evo 8 Ecu part number MN132874

Motor Mount Bracket

Slim Fan

The Donor

I plan to be finished Next tuesday, so i will possible have a 1/4 mile time the weekend after next.
Cant wait to hear her start up and drive her around !
Old Mar 29, 2010 | 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Okay so ive started as of saturday, so for ive put in about 16 hours and i got the motor pulled, and completed the differential swap. TOmorrow i will be picking up the new motor and hopefully putting it all back together. here are a few more pictures.

startup video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aazzt1S-ewY

Last edited by bvasquez12; Apr 7, 2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2010 | 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

so wheres the install pics, i know you got it in. dont be holding out
Old Apr 14, 2010 | 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

yea it looks the same as the 4g94 actually, since i got it from a 2000, the valve cover doesnt say 2.4, but my engine bay looks like crap right now. I want to do a wire tuck because ive never seen it done on a lancer. Ill take some pics, but for now here is a 3rd gear pull video, let me know if you guys think it seems quicker. I can feel a difference but idk if its very noticeable since i was driving a gst while i was working on my car, i sort of got used to the gst power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syd2LmU_6U0

so far my plans are to do a ton of maintenence. i want to change the timing belt, and the valve cover gasket and get a new oil pan, also clean the engine bay and relocate the battery and do a mild wire tuck.
Ill try and post some more videos of pulls, still breaking in the clutch so i dont want to get on it too much.
Old May 19, 2010 | 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

New pull video

Here is another video, this time from a launch 0-60. This is with i/h/e and after i fixed a few vacume leaks, let me know what you guys think, the car still feels slow to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrQHzoCn8c
Old May 19, 2010 | 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Seems about right to me. I don't know how much faster you expect this engine to be. After you get it tuned you'll know if there was power to be made. You might make an additional 10-15hp or more depending on how off your fuel/ignition maps are now.
Old May 19, 2010 | 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

well i was expecting to go from 17 seconds to about mid 15s. The thing is, i was losing to people that i used to beat before the swap. But now that the vac leaks are fixed i should be able to beat them pretty good.
Old May 19, 2010 | 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bvasquez12
well i was expecting to go from 17 seconds to about mid 15s. The thing is, i was losing to people that i used to beat before the swap. But now that the vac leaks are fixed i should be able to beat them pretty good.
If you haven't taken your car to the track yet how do you know what you're actually running?
Old May 19, 2010 | 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

I figure it's slower since I'm now losing to a car I used to beat. My friends civic hatch, ek, with intake header and axle back. Non vtec. I used to beat him by about a fender and now he beats me by a car length :-(
Old May 19, 2010 | 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Well you replaced your newer Lancer engine with an older engine that likely had more miles and is probably a little tired in comparison. Also, the 4G64 engine isn't a performance or sport engine by any means. It's a 2.4L economy engine, just like the 4G94 is. And the fact remains that your ECU is not tuned and running the Evo fuel/ignition tables.
Old May 19, 2010 | 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Well you replaced your newer Lancer engine with an older engine that likely had more miles and is probably a little tired in comparison. Also, the 4G64 engine isn't a performance or sport engine by any means. It's a 2.4L economy engine, just like the 4G94 is. And the fact remains that your ECU is not tuned and running the Evo fuel/ignition tables.
+1^^ Ill bet your numbers are way off from what they will be when you actually tune the ecu to run that engine. You ever tried running the stock evo timing and fuel maps with your g94? Its not very pretty or safe to do.
Old May 20, 2010 | 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

No as a matter of fact ive never tried running those settings on my g94 lol, but i figure it wouldnt be good. So with a tune what would you expect this setup to put down, ? I just want a low to mid 15 second dd for now until i can rebuild and boost it. Is this too much to ask for lol.
Old May 20, 2010 | 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

My guess is your overall power wont go up dramatically but power throughout the rpm band will go up and stabilize giving a much more responsive feel to the car
Old May 20, 2010 | 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

okay so what should i expect, about 150 at the wheels? what would i need to get me to the low to mid 15 quarter mile i want.
Old May 20, 2010 | 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

I am not sure what a stock g64 puts out but with it being a used engine I doubt you will put 150whp down. I think my stock g94 was putting down like 89whp despite rated at 120 at the flywheel. I thinkg darkmitsu is putting down somewhere around 120whp or so maybe a little more cant remember at the moment.

Quick Reply: Another 4g64 Swap/Build Thread