Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

I Need More HP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by crf inc.
Did I mis-read the title of this thread? I'm pretty sure it says "I want more power", not "I want an evo". Nobody was comparing the two cars. Obviously the evo is an all around better car than the base lancer. But this is not a thread about how he wants to corner better, or launch harder or stop faster or even upgrade his interior. This is a thread about how he can make more power in HIS car. But ill tell you what amby, you go spend 30k on a stock evo, and ill go spend 30k on a base lancer and we'll see who launches harder. I guarantee it won't be you! All I'm saying is that if he wants more power then go spend a 3k to get your car turbo'd and you will be able to pull on evo's. Maybe not from a dead stop, but rolling they won't hang. And I promise you that you will then be happy with the amount of power your base lancer makes. Then you can be happy with the car that you have and start saving for you dream car.
The OP should be made aware of how much it costs to make significantly more power (a significant amount) and the consequences that it brings (reduced reliability, reduced driveability, etc). Given that the OP doesn't appear to have much experience with Lancers, based on his post count and the nature of this thread, he should be given both sides of the "answer", the mod the Lancer side and the get a different car side.
Are you serious? You want to compare a 15000$ (at best) economy car with 15000$ dumped into it to a 30000$ stock car? Hell, why don't we compare the reliability of the two cars, the comfort, the ease and cost of getting the next 100 HP, the cornering, the braking, etc. It's a silly argument. I could spend 5000$ on a POS 1989 Mustang, dump 10000$ into it and a have a 15000$ car that can destroy your 30000$ Lancer but it's still a POS 1989 Mustang with 10000$ in mods. Similarly, a hopped up Lancer is still a Lancer. Similarly, you can mod an Evo to be as fast as a Porsche 911 Turbo or a Ferrari but it's still just an Evo. OEM power costs what it does for a reason and frankly there are very few aftermarket companies that can hold a light to what OEM can do.
If he genuinely wants a different car after weighing his options, it would be pointless to spend anymore money than necessary on the Lancer. If he wants to mod to learn a bit, great, buy some used bolt-ons or modify the stock pieces (ie. port your own intake, decat the stock exhaust manifold, etc). Don't go spending thousands that could go towards a nice down payment.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The OP should be made aware of how much it costs to make significantly more power (a significant amount) and the consequences that it brings (reduced reliability, reduced driveability, etc). Given that the OP doesn't appear to have much experience with Lancers, based on his post count and the nature of this thread, he should be given both sides of the "answer", the mod the Lancer side and the get a different car side.
Are you serious? You want to compare a 15000$ (at best) economy car with 15000$ dumped into it to a 30000$ stock car? Hell, why don't we compare the reliability of the two cars, the comfort, the ease and cost of getting the next 100 HP, the cornering, the braking, etc. It's a silly argument. I could spend 5000$ on a POS 1989 Mustang, dump 10000$ into it and a have a 15000$ car that can destroy your 30000$ Lancer but it's still a POS 1989 Mustang with 10000$ in mods. Similarly, a hopped up Lancer is still a Lancer. Similarly, you can mod an Evo to be as fast as a Porsche 911 Turbo or a Ferrari but it's still just an Evo. OEM power costs what it does for a reason and frankly there are very few aftermarket companies that can hold a light to what OEM can do.
If he genuinely wants a different car after weighing his options, it would be pointless to spend anymore money than necessary on the Lancer. If he wants to mod to learn a bit, great, buy some used bolt-ons or modify the stock pieces (ie. port your own intake, decat the stock exhaust manifold, etc). Don't go spending thousands that could go towards a nice down payment.
This is getting off topic. If you want to talk about evos maybe you should be posting in the forum specific to evos. The guy asked about hp gains not selling his car and going with an evo. He just got onto this site and was trying to broaden his knowledge on what to do with his new car. Post on this thread to help this guy and not scare him on how "impossible" it is to stay NA.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

If you want more power, it is effectively impossible to stay NA. That is a fact. I cannot name a single Evom member that broke 200 HP NA. The Lancer simply doesn't have the ingredients to be a good NA car. It can't rev high (like Hondas can) and it doesn't have a high displacement, big bore motor (like the domestics do). With thousands dumped into the motor, you'd be lucky to hit 160-170 HP (40-50 over stock) and that would require a lot of custom parts and a damn good tuner. Turboing on the other hand is a cheap way to gain power, at least as far as the dollar per HP ratio is concerned.
The Evo didn't come up until another member appeared to suggest that the Lancer can be made faster than the Evo (or similar cars) for less which is misleading.
None of this is bashing, it's stating well known facts at this point. It's accepted that the Lancer isn't a good NA platform, a few people have shown this with hard data. It also seems foolish to dump money into a car if what you actually want is the performance of another car. A Lancer will always be a Lancer, an Evo will always be an Evo, you can no more make a Lancer perform like an Evo than you can make an Evo perform like a Corvette Z06.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these things are all true, everyone has good points.

i did the swap and now am thinking im going to keep the 4g64 with a few bolt ons if i find some for cheap, and then save for an evo, this way ill have a dd to save me gas that is decently quick, and ill have my evo for the honda killing and domestic murdering. FWD sucks..
Old Apr 14, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I'd keep the lancer ,screw the evo...

For the small amount of cash you can drop on a lancer you can have near evo peformance if you spend right,G93's in puerto rico are running 450-500 hp that and no one expects a lancer to whoop an evo so you have the sleeper effect...

My opinion and what im doing Is Im gonna turbo the g94 til it blows up and waiting in the wings is my 4g64 , has an evo dohc head , 2.4l with the evo ecu, mr 8.5 turbo, intake ...the car will be sick , Yea the evo's have awd but unless you live in canada who cares , once you hook the lancer you'll kill evo's all day ...

the 4g64 block is the one that the evo's guys swap in , everything just about from the 4g93 evo engine will fit the block its 100% the way to go least gave us options
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerOzClint
This is getting off topic. If you want to talk about evos maybe you should be posting in the forum specific to evos. The guy asked about hp gains not selling his car and going with an evo. He just got onto this site and was trying to broaden his knowledge on what to do with his new car. Post on this thread to help this guy and not scare him on how "impossible" it is to stay NA.
thank you clint i was just gonna say the same thing...

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
I'd keep the lancer ,screw the evo...

For the small amount of cash you can drop on a lancer you can have near evo peformance if you spend right,G93's in puerto rico are running 450-500 hp that and no one expects a lancer to whoop an evo so you have the sleeper effect...

My opinion and what im doing Is Im gonna turbo the g94 til it blows up and waiting in the wings is my 4g64 , has an evo dohc head , 2.4l with the evo ecu, mr 8.5 turbo, intake ...the car will be sick , Yea the evo's have awd but unless you live in canada who cares , once you hook the lancer you'll kill evo's all day ...

the 4g64 block is the one that the evo's guys swap in , everything just about from the 4g93 evo engine will fit the block its 100% the way to go least gave us options
i think you meant 4g63 at the end there..
but thank you because i was just going to post some videos of some puertorican mirages proving that amby doesnt know what he's talking about. so i dont know where you got your "facts" from my friend but theyre obviously wrong.

12 sec 4g93 that proves you can make a 4g9x an all motor beast with well over 200hp..
http://www.streetfire.net/video/mira...ica_732885.htm

10 sec g93 mirage that WILL launch on any any 400hp evo.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/mits...rbo_732875.htm

granted these are fully built motors, but dont let anyone like amby ever tell you that it CANT be done because it CAN!

Last edited by crf inc.; Apr 14, 2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: left out a word
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those cars look really unstable ....
Hahaha

I would rather take Awd
This is a friends car with full interior , Ac , Power steering and daily driven . He also lowered the boost .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kuhjFCiWw

Btw : That video he is riding stock suspension . He ran a 10.2 with coilovers and with lowered boost .
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
Those cars look really unstable ....
Hahaha

I would rather take Awd
This is a friends car with full interior , Ac , Power steering and daily driven . He also lowered the boost .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8kuhjFCiWw

Btw : That video he is riding stock suspension . He ran a 10.2 with coilovers and with lowered boost .
yeah i would prefer awd as well.. but im sure he has a ton of money into that thing just judging by the cams alone.. the thing can barely idle im sure.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

By Daily driver i meant it , it is a very smooth ride and idles perfect !
It has a perfect tune on E85 also . This is the car he drives 40 miles round trip a day to work and even to go to the store or what ever he needs .

The way i see it with Fwd is why have so much power when it can not be put to use ?
I know alot of srt4 guys that are pushing 500+ but can not use full throttle under 90mph(4th) .
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

you gotta keep in mind that alot of these new up and coming lancer owners are young....you gotta factor in how much insurance is gonna cost as well as the car payment alone...it would be more beneficial for them to mod a payed off vehicle with very low insurance than to mod a vehicle they are still payin off 10k+
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

but thank you because i was just going to post some videos of some puertorican mirages proving that amby doesnt know what he's talking about. so i dont know where you got your "facts" from my friend but theyre obviously wrong.

12 sec 4g93 that proves you can make a 4g9x an all motor beast with well over 200hp..

granted these are fully built motors, but dont let anyone like amby ever tell you that it CANT be done because it CAN!
Yep you got it I meant 4g63 I like amby , for the simple reason that he says it Cant be done like many with the same mindset, and me Knowing it HAS been done, for years as a matter of fact...
Why pay 26K for an evo when if you know what your doing you Can build a 4g94 ,if you just have to have a 4g63 buy a dsm for 2k , anyone who knows engines can optimize what they have no matter what engine it is, look at the Honda guys

Last edited by turbolancer02; Apr 14, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Proving me wrong about what? Did I say that you can't make power at all with teh 4G94 or the 4G93? Nope, I said that bolt-ons with the 4G94 produce very little gains for the amount of money you spent. A 4G93 is a different motor. With the reduced bore and stroke, it can already rev higher out of the box than the 4G94 can.
Using race cars in a discussion like this is just stupid, we may as well drag in the AMS 1000 HP Evo. Are there any 1000 HP 4G94 Lancers around? For the average person, dumping thousands into a car to end up with something that's loud, unreliable and requiring constant vigilance and tinkering just to keep it going isn't feasible. If we're honestly going to start talking race cars, give me one Lancer that is ranking in the top 5 in any competitive, american race series.
I guess I made the mistake of assuming we were giving advice to someone that doesn't have a bottomless wallet to spend on a car purely to make a point.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If you wanna go faster just swap your lancer motor with another one that has less miles... lol jk

listen to amby he took the time to write out everything about our motors
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Most people on here like to tinker with there cars, I do constantly ...

as far as 1k hp evo's you really think thats reliable? come on man have you even been around a car with that much power?
I had a 1991 lx mustang with twin turbo's , had 1100 hp I couldnt touch the street with it , anything more then a quarter mile and it'd overheat ...

any car pushed to the max is not reliable given the simple fact that there too many variables , you think they take the evo to drop the kids off at school?

Now back to why no one has a lancer in the top 5 , well do you think the lancer has the same backing as the evo with mitsu racing ? obvi it doesnt , if the lancer was the only car mistubishi had for that class then mitsubishi would be using it , and with the knowledge that they have from the awd 4g63 dsm's mitsu has a place to start..

the only saving grace for the evo is 1. mitsu wanted a quick performance car and 2 the 4g63 was available , if the evo came with a 4g94 and for some reason they couldnt use the 4g63 mitsu would have 700+hp dohc turbo'd g94's, why because with people redesigning stuff and a following anything is possible
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Now back to the topic , I'd go with a 4g64 engine swap and then eventually you can swap everything from the evo engine onto it

Quick Reply: I Need More HP!