Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

I Need More HP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
and another thing do what you want dont let anyone tell you different, yeah can spend an extra 10 grand on your lancer or whateever and still whoop any cars on the street but its really just your perception. Like I wanted an evo but i dont have the money but I have my lancer which I want to fix up and make it faster. Who cares if its a lancer thats my pride and joy and once I install this turbo I can say I did that myself...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steven121
and another thing do what you want dont let anyone tell you different, yeah can spend an extra 10 grand on your lancer or whateever and still whoop any cars on the street but its really just your perception. Like I wanted an evo but i dont have the money but I have my lancer which I want to fix up and make it faster. Who cares if its a lancer thats my pride and joy and once I install this turbo I can say I did that myself...
you hit that on the head bro, Its all about you doing it yourself and being proud of what you have...long as it isnt a honda
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
Now back to the topic , I'd go with a 4g64 engine swap and then eventually you can swap everything from the evo engine onto it
he can basically still install evo parts on his car regardless if he does the swap or not. He can get his car to catch up with the big boys, its all about time and money
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

you hit that on the head bro, Its all about you doing it yourself and being proud of what you have...long as it isnt a honda
lol hondas, they make great lawn mowers
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Most people on here like to tinker with there cars, I do constantly ...

as far as 1k hp evo's you really think thats reliable? come on man have you even been around a car with that much power?
I had a 1991 lx mustang with twin turbo's , had 1100 hp I couldnt touch the street with it , anything more then a quarter mile and it'd overheat ...

any car pushed to the max is not reliable given the simple fact that there too many variables , you think they take the evo to drop the kids off at school?

Now back to why no one has a lancer in the top 5 , well do you think the lancer has the same backing as the evo with mitsu racing ? obvi it doesnt , if the lancer was the only car mistubishi had for that class then mitsubishi would be using it , and with the knowledge that they have from the awd 4g63 dsm's mitsu has a place to start..

the only saving grace for the evo is 1. mitsu wanted a quick performance car and 2 the 4g63 was available , if the evo came with a 4g94 and for some reason they couldnt use the 4g63 mitsu would have 700+hp dohc turbo'd g94's, why because with people redesigning stuff and a following anything is possible
Do you really think those 400 HP 4G94 Lancers will be reliable? Once you get to the point where you're doubling, tripling, etc. the stock power output, you will have issues. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how much. I have yet to see a single turboed Lancer or really any NA car that has been aftermarket force induced that didn't have issues. For some, the issues were minor like boost leaks, oil leaks, exhaust leaks, tune problems and mild driveability problems while for others the problems are catastrophic, ie. full engine failure, transmission failure, etc. That is the nature of the game, it doesn't matter what car you have, once you go that far beyond what the manufacturer intended, issues will appear. 600 HP Evos have issues as well.
The backing argument is BS, there are cars of all shapes and colors in racing and it's usually based on their performance merit. If you honestly want to start bringing race cars into this discussion, like done above, lets bring race cars into this discussion. If the Lancer could honestly be made to be competitive for less than Evos, STis, SRT-4s, etc. people would be racing them. That is the nature of the game. The fact that none of us can name a single competitive Lancer in a major series tells us a lot. While they're great economy cars and plenty of fun to mod, they're not meant to be race cars and they're not meant to be compared to Evos, STis, SRT-4s, etc.
None of this is intended to be taken as a "don't mod the Lancer stupid!" argument. If you want to mod the Lancer, great, more power to you but make sure you know what you're getting into before you start. If you want 400 HP, and don't care how you get there, consider looking at other cars that can get you there cheaper/better/more reliably. If you want 200 HP, weigh the options that will allow you to get there. If you dive into the deep end, you will have issues. On any car forum I guarantee that you can find someone who didn't do enough research before hand and didn't have a good plan going in and now they're paying for it, whether it's financially or with a car that doesn't run.

Last edited by ambystom01; Apr 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Do you really think those 400 HP 4G94 Lancers will be reliable? Once you get to the point where you're doubling, tripling, etc. the stock power output, you will have issues. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how much. I have yet to see a single turboed Lancer or really any NA car that has been aftermarket force induced that didn't have issues. For some, the issues were minor like boost leaks, oil leaks, exhaust leaks, tune problems and mild driveability problems while for others the problems are catastrophic, ie. full engine failure, transmission failure, etc. That is the nature of the game, it doesn't matter what car you have, once you go that far beyond what the manufacturer intended, issues will appear. 600 HP Evos have issues as well.
The backing argument is BS, there are cars of all shapes and colors in racing and it's usually based on their performance merit. If you honestly want to start bringing race cars into this discussion, like done above, lets bring race cars into this discussion. If the Lancer could honestly be made to be competitive for less than Evos, STis, SRT-4s, etc. people would be racing them. That is the nature of the game. The fact that none of us can name a single competitive Lancer in a major series tells us a lot. While they're great economy cars and plenty of fun to mod, they're not meant to be race cars and they're not meant to be compared to Evos, STis, SRT-4s, etc.
None of this is intended to be taken as a "don't mod the Lancer stupid!" argument. If you want to mod the Lancer, great, more power to you but make sure you know what you're getting into before you start. If you want 400 HP, and don't care how you get there, consider looking at other cars that can get you there cheaper/better/more reliably. If you want 200 HP, weigh the options that will allow you to get there. If you dive into the deep end, you will have issues. On any car forum I guarantee that you can find someone who didn't do enough research before hand and didn't have a good plan going in and now they're paying for it, whether it's financially or with a car that doesn't run.

oh you mean like you? those of us that know the story know that you dropped thousands into n/a mods and gained nothing from it. no reason to be bitter towards the lancer because of your FAIL. maybe you should have been that guy that researched before you dumped all that money into the wrong mods. and you may not have said that you cant make power at all, but you did say that it is impossible to make power with an n/a set-up. now if you would have dropped that money you blew into head work and high compression internals, then you might have got that power you were looking for. and ONCE AGAIN, nobody is or has COMPARED the lancer or mirage to an evo, sti, or srt *****! by me and whoever else saying that our cars CAN be as fast or faster than any one of those 30k cars is not a comparison. i said we can pull on them, not corner better, launch harder, or anything else you might be thinking. but as far as reliability is concerned, these cars can be every bit as reliable as a stock evo! i for one know plenty of people who drive theyre turbo'd g93/94's everyday like they stole them, and with no major problems since they put them on over a year ago. the reason why is because it was done right! they researched, bought ALL the necessary parts, and had it professionally tuned. im talking ecuflashed and dyno tuned. and the mirage that im helping my friend drop a fully built motor into WILL be his daily driver. it will be reliable at 350-400hp because it was done right and will be tuned by one of the best tuner's on the west coast. this is by no means a race car. at least not untill we hit 10.99sec and its time to install a rollcage.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa hold on there both you no need to argue he just wanted to know about mods for his car not a debate if he wants to keep the lancer then ok if hebwants an evo, srt or whatever then ok. He came to this site for help guys and if we say we love cars as much as we do either way we need to support his decision. Simple as this if you mod the lancer expect to spend money because something will break on the NA car. If you decide to get an evo or srt just remember your cost go up because of the type of car you bought. No more arguements about this topic! If you need help bro don't be afraid to ask WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven121
Whoa hold on there both you no need to argue he just wanted to know about mods for his car not a debate if he wants to keep the lancer then ok if hebwants an evo, srt or whatever then ok. He came to this site for help guys and if we say we love cars as much as we do either way we need to support his decision. Simple as this if you mod the lancer expect to spend money because something will break on the NA car. If you decide to get an evo or srt just remember your cost go up because of the type of car you bought. No more arguements about this topic! If you need help bro don't be afraid to ask WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP.
agreed , and please keep the lancer , dont get an srt-4 , theres a reason everyones selling them for 5-9k , there crap....

I would do a turbo , take it easy and get a good tune, bolt on stuff like headers and exhaust doesnt really go far alone on an 4-banger engine ..

Oh and honda makes Ok snowblowers as well
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
First off, amby has been on this forum from the beginning like I have. We have seen more threads than we care to remember about guys asking about extracting power from the 4G94 with bolt-ons and NA mods. People fixate on a horsepower number and go from there. They want their Lancer to "walk all over Evos" and get tunnel vision along the way. amby is a bit more vocal than most other members, but I fully agree with what he says. I'm just a little less expressive with my opinions.

Not a month goes by that another thread like this doesn't popup. If you want more horsepower you have a few choices:

1.) Get a different car - the 4G94 is a tough cookie to crack in terms of mods.
2.) Engine swap - swap in a 4G64 engine for a better platform to build on. Or if you have deep pockets swap in a 4G63 engine
3.) Turbo your 4G94 - best bang for your buck, hands down. Add forged internals and you'll have a nice setup.

But going back to what amby said, if you want to double or triple your engine's HP output, it won't be without problems along the way. I've had my share of problems with my two turbo kits. From leaking gaskets to cracked manifolds and vacuum leaks. But if you take your time, don't cut corners and do it right you will still have a nice setup. I don't regret turbo'ing my Lancer for a second. And the owners that do end up selling their turbo'd Lancers are because either the engine blew or they had lots of problems and didn't want to deal with them anymore.

This forum is a wealth of information about the Lancer, it's engine and how to extract power from it. Take some time to look at what others have done and decide from there. Be sure to read about the good, the bad and the ugly that owners have gone through to know what to expect.

Pete T.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crf inc.
oh you mean like you? those of us that know the story know that you dropped thousands into n/a mods and gained nothing from it. no reason to be bitter towards the lancer because of your FAIL. maybe you should have been that guy that researched before you dumped all that money into the wrong mods. and you may not have said that you cant make power at all, but you did say that it is impossible to make power with an n/a set-up. now if you would have dropped that money you blew into head work and high compression internals, then you might have got that power you were looking for. and ONCE AGAIN, nobody is or has COMPARED the lancer or mirage to an evo, sti, or srt *****! by me and whoever else saying that our cars CAN be as fast or faster than any one of those 30k cars is not a comparison. i said we can pull on them, not corner better, launch harder, or anything else you might be thinking. but as far as reliability is concerned, these cars can be every bit as reliable as a stock evo! i for one know plenty of people who drive theyre turbo'd g93/94's everyday like they stole them, and with no major problems since they put them on over a year ago. the reason why is because it was done right! they researched, bought ALL the necessary parts, and had it professionally tuned. im talking ecuflashed and dyno tuned. and the mirage that im helping my friend drop a fully built motor into WILL be his daily driver. it will be reliable at 350-400hp because it was done right and will be tuned by one of the best tuner's on the west coast. this is by no means a race car. at least not untill we hit 10.99sec and its time to install a rollcage.
Yes, I spent thousands on bolt-ons and gained nothing. BlacksheepDJ had a similar experience and there's another member that spent even more than I did and gained very little as well. It's not bitter when you have data to back it up.
How was that my fail? I used all RRM parts, all brand name, all professionally installed. Yeah, it's pretty clear that it was my fault that a 2.0 L naturally aspirated engine didn't gain huge power with bolt-ons . Give me a break.
I did the research and my mod path was advised by other members and even a vendor who promised big gains.
This is what I said

If you want more power, it is effectively impossible to stay NA. That is a fact. I cannot name a single Evom member that broke 200 HP NA. The Lancer simply doesn't have the ingredients to be a good NA car. It can't rev high (like Hondas can) and it doesn't have a high displacement, big bore motor (like the domestics do). With thousands dumped into the motor, you'd be lucky to hit 160-170 HP (40-50 over stock) and that would require a lot of custom parts and a damn good tuner. Turboing on the other hand is a cheap way to gain power, at least as far as the dollar per HP ratio is concerned.
Did I say it was absolutely impossible to make money NA? Nope but it'll cost you a lot of money and you'd be damn lucky to gain 50 HP over stock. This is hardly breaking news, the 4G94 is a small displacement motor, of course it's not going to make huge power without the forced addition of more air.
High compression internals and head work would have been pointless without intake and exhaust work. What you're suggesting is that I should have spend another 5000$ on top of what I already did. Sorry but I didn't feel that spending the price of the car on mods was a good idea.
It's not hard to read between the lines. By suggesting that you can take a Lancer and make it as fast or faster than an Evo, STI, whatever for less is a pretty blatant attempt at comparing the two cars. They are not even in the same league.
OEM reliability is far superior to aftermarket reliability, enough said.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sawulkn
you gotta keep in mind that alot of these new up and coming lancer owners are young....you gotta factor in how much insurance is gonna cost as well as the car payment alone...it would be more beneficial for them to mod a payed off vehicle with very low insurance than to mod a vehicle they are still payin off 10k+

Great point. Thats the whole reason i dont get an evo..i could probably barely afford it, but paycheck to paycheck isnt fun. And the lancer would be a good learning platform, so far i think the 4g64 is the best thing to do, since it opens up so many doors. I cant wait to get started on mine..its not running at its best yet but its going to be a fun project, and alot more affordable than an evo. im going to learn with the lancer, and get an evo later when ill have money to afford it, AND mod it. A 4g64 Mirage would be cool huh..
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that modding a car heavily (ie. dumping thousands into a built motor, turbo setup) and not telling your insurance company is a bad idea.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind that modding a car heavily (ie. dumping thousands into a built motor, turbo setup) and not telling your insurance company is a bad idea.
What happens if they find out?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I was told by my company that if you don't declare your mods, they're not covered at all meaning that fully built motor is a fully build paper weight. They could even go so far as to refuse coverage based on the idea that the car you're driving is not the car they agreed to insure.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

are you kidding me? your insurance company wouldnt even insure you if they knew that you had dropped thousands of dollars into fully built motor or turbo set up. thats because its illegal to mod your car unless you put on emissions legal parts. and the only thing you can even buy for the lancer thats emission legal is an intake. so what reason if any do you think it would be smart to tell your insurance company about all the illegal parts you just put on your car? insurance will not knowingly insure a car that is not street legal.

Quick Reply: I Need More HP!