Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

I Need More HP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by crf inc.
are you kidding me? your insurance company wouldnt even insure you if they knew that you had dropped thousands of dollars into fully built motor or turbo set up. thats because its illegal to mod your car unless you put on emissions legal parts. and the only thing you can even buy for the lancer thats emission legal is an intake. so what reason if any do you think it would be smart to tell your insurance company about all the illegal parts you just put on your car? insurance will not knowingly insure a car that is not street legal.
Depends on where you live. My insurance company did not have coverage for modifications but their sister company did. Basically I could do anything short of nitrous and turboing the car and be covered. California may have strict rules but it's not universal. In California you do have to take the risks if you want to modify.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Depends on where you live. My insurance company did not have coverage for modifications but their sister company did. Basically I could do anything short of nitrous and turboing the car and be covered. California may have strict rules but it's not universal. In California you do have to take the risks if you want to modify.
well yeah obviously in states that dont have higher emissions standards and allow things like modified intake, exhaust and headers, of course the insurance company would insure that. Im not 100% positive but im pretty sure that if they knew you had say, a motor swap done or a head swap, or anything major that came out of another type of car, they would not want to insure you. at least not full coverage. and thats because they know that that motor is not meant for that car and theres no saying how reliable its going to be. if for some reason catastrophic damage occurred in that motor theres no way theyre going to pay for it. even if its from something like hydrolock.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

It depends on the nature of the insurance company. When I was looking into it, they had a list of approved modifications which included a turbo kit. Whether they would cover the cost of the modifications in the case of a catastrophic engine failure or some sort of modification-related damage I don't know but they would adjust your file to reflect the cost of the modifications so in the case of an accident, they would be included.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lol andy is bitter cause he dump all $$ into cars and got dog pooh.. he should of realized that from ther start....

to op dont listen to the haters.. and dont let some1 try to talk u out of modding ur lancer.... if ur happy with what u do then be happy..

and andy stop trying to discourage people from modding their lancer.. if they want to let them but dont bash us na people for modding.. not all of us na users want turbo....
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
lol andy is bitter cause he dump all $$ into cars and got dog pooh.. he should of realized that from ther start....

to op dont listen to the haters.. and dont let some1 try to talk u out of modding ur lancer.... if ur happy with what u do then be happy..

and andy stop trying to discourage people from modding their lancer.. if they want to let them but dont bash us na people for modding.. not all of us na users want turbo....
Once again, why would I be bitter? I now have a car that makes three times the power my Lancer made, there's no reason to make this BS bitterness argument.
Why should I have realized that from the start? When I was modding my Lancer, there was no one like me around. Everyone had a head in the clouds, super-optimistic mindset thus people expected my Lancer to make no less than 140 HP, or 20 over stock. This included established members and even a well known and well respected vendor.
Seriously, can we cut the hater crap? Telling someone that NA bolt-ons are a waste of money (from a power gaining standpoint) isn't being a hater, it's being realistic. You may well argue that telling someone they can't walk on water is being a hater. The OP asked for advice and people gave him just that, there's no reason to pull out this hater BS.
If providing people with hard data and personal experience discouraging them from modding their Lancer, they shouldn't be doing it in the first place. Seriously, if they're that shaken up by the posts of someone they've never met, how are they going to react when they run into problems down the road? If you need everything to go perfectly and for people to hold your hand the whole way, you shouldn't be in the modding game, it's as simple as that.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by crf inc.
Did I mis-read the title of this thread? I'm pretty sure it says "I want more power", not "I want an evo". Nobody was comparing the two cars. Obviously the evo is an all around better car than the base lancer. But this is not a thread about how he wants to corner better, or launch harder or stop faster or even upgrade his interior. This is a thread about how he can make more power in HIS car. But ill tell you what amby, you go spend 30k on a stock evo, and ill go spend 30k on a base lancer and we'll see who launches harder. I guarantee it won't be you! All I'm saying is that if he wants more power then go spend a 3k to get your car turbo'd and you will be able to pull on evo's. Maybe not from a dead stop, but rolling they won't hang. And I promise you that you will then be happy with the amount of power your base lancer makes. Then you can be happy with the car that you have and start saving for you dream car.
exactly. amby is the kind of person that makes us evo owners look bad. (btw $2000 and only 400? lol I spent about a $1200 and am making over that but back to the point...) if you have money to spend to build the motor right, go for it...if you wanna cut corners to save money dont bother. best advice is spend the couple grand to get internals and the turbo kit, you should be MORE THAN HAPPY with that power
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

You joined this month and yet you've formed such an educated view on my contributions to this site .
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:58 PM

ive been on this site for years this is a new profile....besides i didnt need to be on here for very long to realize your an evo fanboy and you form negative opinions towards lancers just because you are "one of those guys" who thinks they have no potential.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah I'm an Evo fanboy . I don't drive an Evo and I have actually owned and modified a Lancer. A swing and a miss.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

the crap thats comming out of ur mouth lately has been garbage.. esp in this thread.. we all know theirs no power in our n/a motors son.. some of us turbo, some dont the ones that dont prolly dont care like me.... down the road ill drop a 93 mana and port my stock header cause i want to.. idk what u *amby** say thats it is a waste of money... we n/a people do it cause we want to and to have somethin different from the norm thats reliable even if its a small gain.. also its people like u that some dont bother posting a build thread cause of your hatred to us.. ur not all that great son fyi
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:04 AM

Yeah I'm an Evo fanboy . I don't drive an Evo and I have actually owned and modified a Lancer. A swing and a miss.

yet your so willing top turn your back on the lancers.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
the crap thats comming out of ur mouth lately has been garbage.. esp in this thread.. we all know theirs no power in our n/a motors son.. some of us turbo, some dont the ones that dont prolly dont care like me.... down the road ill drop a 93 mana and port my stock header cause i want to.. idk what u *amby** say thats it is a waste of money... we n/a people do it cause we want to and to have somethin different from the norm thats reliable even if its a small gain.. also its people like u that some dont bother posting a build thread cause of your hatred to us.. ur not all that great son fyi
Another insightful post. Last I checked, the OP asked how to gain power, not what mods he can do to pass the time on a slow Sunday afternoon. Of course this is all fueled by hatred, none of it is supported with dyno charts, oh wait...
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike4g63
yet your so willing top turn your back on the lancers.
Yes, because I have proof that bolt-ons do diddly squat for power, I've turned my back on Lancers. Forget the fact that I wrote a massive FAQ on Lancers and continued to update it well after I got rid of the car, forget the fact that I get PMs on a regular basis asking for help, I'm just a big Lancer hater that wants to bring the community down .
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:18 AM

Yes, because I have proof that bolt-ons do diddly squat for power, I've turned my back on Lancers. Forget the fact that I wrote a massive FAQ on Lancers and continued to update it well after I got rid of the car, forget the fact that I get PMs on a regular basis asking for help, I'm just a big Lancer hater that wants to bring the community down .
come on everyone knows bolt ons give very limited amounts of power, but people are telling him to crack the block and build it right, ON TOP of boosting it, which will be a GREAT DEAL less that buying an expensive evo. you're contribution have nothing to do with the fact your telling him not to "waste his time" on this car. i personally know turbo'd lancer that spent little money($5000-$8000...chump change compared to buying a $30,000 car of course) that are pulling 11's and walking evo's on the freeway. i personally hate the response "just buy an evo" and if thats the kind of advice you give, i cant see why you would think its helpful.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

using a ported 93 mani and ported 94 header will gain hp[ is what the op is asking bout gaining hp] not alot but u will gain some hp just not alot.. and im happy with that as long as my car is reliable in the end who cares

Quick Reply: I Need More HP!