Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

I Need More HP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike4g63
come on everyone knows bolt ons give very limited amounts of power, but people are telling him to crack the block and build it right, ON TOP of boosting it, which will be a GREAT DEAL less that buying an expensive evo. you're contribution have nothing to do with the fact your telling him not to "waste his time" on this car. i personally know turbo'd lancer that spent little money($5000-$8000...chump change compared to buying a $30,000 car of course) that are pulling 11's and walking evo's on the freeway. i personally hate the response "just buy an evo" and if thats the kind of advice you give, i cant see why you would think its helpful.
well said mike
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike4g63
come on everyone knows bolt ons give very limited amounts of power, but people are telling him to crack the block and build it right, ON TOP of boosting it, which will be a GREAT DEAL less that buying an expensive evo. you're contribution have nothing to do with the fact your telling him not to "waste his time" on this car. i personally know turbo'd lancer that spent little money($5000-$8000...chump change compared to buying a $30,000 car of course) that are pulling 11's and walking evo's on the freeway. i personally hate the response "just buy an evo" and if thats the kind of advice you give, i cant see why you would think its helpful.
11 second Lancers eh, any proof? Those would be the fastest Lancers in the US if that was the case.
Notice how it wasn't my advice to just buy an Evo! My very first post suggested he look at turbo kits. The Evo, or any other car for that matter, did not come up until someone suggested that the Lancer was "better value" than a new car which is BS. It's also an inherently flawed argument to begin with as if all people cared about was bang for the buck, they'd be riding a motorcycle.

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
using a ported 93 mani and ported 94 header will gain hp[ is what the op is asking bout gaining hp] not alot but u will gain some hp just not alot.. and im happy with that as long as my car is reliable in the end who cares
Do you have any proof of this? I had virtually every bolt-on available and had 10:1 compression pistons (higher than stock) and I gained 5 HP. Unless all 5 of that came from the RRM header and ported intake manifold, the gains are not significantly and would not be enough to notice. If all he wants is more power, the NA route does not make sense. If he wants to mod the Lancer relatively safely with the understanding that it's more about the learning process than it is about making the car faster, it's a fine option.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

dont need proof son.. its a plus and minus game.. we all know that.. id expect u to know that
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OZR_Lancer
dont need proof son.. its a plus and minus game.. we all know that.. id expect u to know that
No, you need proof, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<3 Amby.

Amby is right guys, why is it when the voice of reason and actuallity come into play you all get defensive? Why can't you accept what you purchased? We were all "tricked" with the sense that this car LOOKS good and SEEMS fast. Over the years I have seen people leave and get GTI's, Civic SI, etc and ALL have been ultimately happier. As for not needing proof to back up numbers, what kind of crap is that? How many of you completely trashed RRM's thread about having the fastest lancer with no paper to prove it? Most, if not all of you won't accept something without having stuff to back it up.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Amby is right. End of story. Those of you who find fault in his DATA at least have to respect that he has DATA. To the OP, you now have several people who have modded the hell out of their Lancers now tell you the same thing.; Go Turbo or go home.

Adding an Intake, header, exhaust mods only change the power curve not the peak HP, and as demonstrated in Amby's data set any gain is negligible. So negligible that the same gains could be had if you tore out your seats, started yourself on a weight loss program and had a strong gust of wind behind you on the track.

If you want power turbo. If you want your engine to look nice Injen makes a nice CAI that sounds cool. Also wearing assless chaps helps you get a better read on your butt dyno. Enjoy your stay here on Evom.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Shingen
Amby is right. End of story. Those of you who find fault in his DATA at least have to respect that he has DATA. To the OP, you now have several people who have modded the hell out of their Lancers now tell you the same thing.; Go Turbo or go home.
OG Shingen, tellin' it how it is. Take it or leave it fellas. I know it's tough to believe, but this is 100% the case. The torque curve on the 4G94 peaks super early. Bolt-ons simply shift the curve and add to the HP curve, but don't increase it much. This is why the 4G94 loves boost. The lower torque curve spoon feeds a turbo with a snow shovel and gets it moving.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

get a dohc swap and some bolt-ons if you want a lil kick.

DOHC $950 - 1200 (depends on currency exchange)
Ebay intake $30 w/ shipping
Mirage pulley & belts - $80 w/ shipping
Ebay exhaust - $200 w/ shipping
Ebay header - $100 w/ shipping
4g93 IM - $20 - 200 (depends on where you get it)
501 maf - $70 w/ shipping (optional)
Ecuflash, mitsulogger & cable - $80 - 150 (depends on where you get it)

lets say you were lucky and smart on buying things. so the total would be: $1460.

*$950 dohc head, lucky.. (even if the head is like a 1100, still not bad. )
*$20 im from a junkyard, port it himself
*$80 cable from a member
*ditched the 501 maf.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ClixT

lets say you were lucky and smart on buying things. so the total would be: $1460.

*$80 cable from a member
*ditched the 501 maf.
a dohc isnt much better then an sohc on the G94,4g93 is another story , you need a 4g64 with an evo head and a turbo setup, bottom line...its been said and senate and amby I agree , you need a turbo bolt-ons do nothing , its like putting a header on a festiva and expecting to beat on civics , bolt ons are supporting mods , not main mods
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't seen any results for the DOHC on a 4G94 yet. I'm sure it helps a bit but who knows by how much.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbolancer02
a dohc isnt much better then an sohc on the G94,4g93 is another story , you need a 4g64 with an evo head and a turbo setup, bottom line...its been said and senate and amby I agree , you need a turbo bolt-ons do nothing , its like putting a header on a festiva and expecting to beat on civics , bolt ons are supporting mods , not main mods
then how come llt is a 15s sohc and almost 14s dohc lancer?
all i can say is, lets just wait for bignasty_yagn to finish his dohc swap, shall we?
like llt said, US ecu sucks compared to PR and AU.

Originally Posted by llt-racing
In that note i think a big part of your problems is the OEM engine management system, I have tested a USA mirage/lancer ECU and its absolute rubbish seeing you have stringent rules in pollution etc.. its restricting it from running its true potential.

Here in AU lancer stock with CAI run 15.7 day in day out its nothing new, there are people in PR running 13-12.5SEC 1/4 mile times with there 4G94 SOHC????
Originally Posted by llt-racing
i have proof its posted in the other thread mate.

15.5 was SOHC 4G94 w/mirage cam, mirage 4g93 ecu (AUDM not USA), CAI, full exhaust and stock cat
15.0 same setup but DOHC
all that said, if you want instant hp, go boost.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

0.5 seconds is a pretty big difference, it'd be nice to see some dyno comparisons though to rule out human error.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ClixT

*$80 cable from a member
*ditched the 501 maf.
Or add another $500-$700 and get ALOT of kick zoom zoom baby lol.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

First and for most.. Every car is different.. Not to lancers are the same. Just because amby spent all this money on bolt ons and only gained 5HP doesn't mean somebody can't buy the exact same parts and make more OR less HP. There are soo many factors that determine how much HP a car makes. How much wear is on the motor, how many miles are on the motor, what octane and brand of gas you use, what size wheels you have, the amount of compression your cylinders have, the climate you live in, how cool or hot your engine is. I mean what data or facts does amby have that are so beneficial to the lancer community besides his own? I Personlly have seen dyno charts from lancers with way less than $2000 worth of n/a bolt-ons Make 10 to 15hp over stock. One or even a few peoples bad experience can not justify every lancers capabilities. And to state that n/a mods are a waste of money or even pointless it a matter of opinion and by no means fact. In terms of hp, yes gains are limited. But what about increased gas mileage? And like you said senate, it changes the power curve. Do you want more top end power? Then put in a header and full 2/12" exhaust. Sure your gonna loose low end power but you be able to smash better on the freeway.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crf inc.
First and for most.. Every car is different.. Not to lancers are the same. Just because amby spent all this money on bolt ons and only gained 5HP doesn't mean somebody can't buy the exact same parts and make more OR less HP. There are soo many factors that determine how much HP a car makes. How much wear is on the motor, how many miles are on the motor, what octane and brand of gas you use, what size wheels you have, the amount of compression your cylinders have, the climate you live in, how cool or hot your engine is. I mean what data or facts does amby have that are so beneficial to the lancer community besides his own? I Personlly have seen dyno charts from lancers with way less than $2000 worth of n/a bolt-ons Make 10 to 15hp over stock. One or even a few peoples bad experience can not justify every lancers capabilities. And to state that n/a mods are a waste of money or even pointless it a matter of opinion and by no means fact. In terms of hp, yes gains are limited. But what about increased gas mileage? And like you said senate, it changes the power curve. Do you want more top end power? Then put in a header and full 2/12" exhaust. Sure your gonna loose low end power but you be able to smash better on the freeway.
well said.. to the idiot said we all were fool, um nobody was fooled ---.. i knew this from the starts the oz is slow duh

Quick Reply: I Need More HP!