Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

I Need More HP!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2010, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by crf inc.
First and for most.. Every car is different.. Not to lancers are the same. Just because amby spent all this money on bolt ons and only gained 5HP doesn't mean somebody can't buy the exact same parts and make more OR less HP. There are soo many factors that determine how much HP a car makes. How much wear is on the motor, how many miles are on the motor, what octane and brand of gas you use, what size wheels you have, the amount of compression your cylinders have, the climate you live in, how cool or hot your engine is. I mean what data or facts does amby have that are so beneficial to the lancer community besides his own? I Personlly have seen dyno charts from lancers with way less than $2000 worth of n/a bolt-ons Make 10 to 15hp over stock. One or even a few peoples bad experience can not justify every lancers capabilities. And to state that n/a mods are a waste of money or even pointless it a matter of opinion and by no means fact. In terms of hp, yes gains are limited. But what about increased gas mileage? And like you said senate, it changes the power curve. Do you want more top end power? Then put in a header and full 2/12" exhaust. Sure your gonna loose low end power but you be able to smash better on the freeway.
It's not like someone will make substantially more power than I did with the same parts, the deviation car to car is maybe 5% which means they could maybe make 5% more power which at best would be another HP. 6 HP from every bolt-on out there, hardly something to rave about.
The motor was relatively new. It was opened to install the 10:1 pistons at which time it was bored out slightly, received new bearings and some new valves.
Where are these dynos? There are plenty of dynos floating around but very few have baselines. Moreover, I'm not the only one that experienced this, at least two other well established members observed the same abysmal gains from bolt-ons.
This thread is asking about HP gains! Therefore, in this respect, bolt-ons are a waste of money. Why? They gain very little power for the amount of money they cost. If the OP had asked what mods he could do to learn or what mods are safe, it'd be a different story but he specifically asked about power gains.
The 5 HP gain I observed was at the very top end of the power band. This idea that exhaust mods make huge power up top is wrong.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4g64 FTW!!
Old Apr 16, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClixT
then how come llt is a 15s sohc and almost 14s dohc lancer? all i can say is, lets just wait for bignasty_yagn to finish his dohc swap, shall we?
Aw its nice to be talked about haha just playin.. But SOHC to DOHC has about 20-30. Also no one has seen boost gains with a DOHC, only the SOHC, so there could be potential. but as for bolt ons, im going to have to agree they dont do much, i had an exhaust, cai, crank, and IM, very little difference (if any). We have economy cars and they aren't meant to be fast. But i am doing my best to make my car as fast as i can, but i've also invested alot of money into this (well over 4 or 5 grand, just parts & and i gotta pay for the install and tune, i bought a turbo 7 months ago, and finally started the build. The cost for speed is expensive, and im willing to pay for it. If i was able to afford an evo, i would definitely dump my oz for any evo, but i cant, so im doing my best to aspire to be evo-like or ish haha (without the awd conversion and etc) but seriously give me 2-3 weeks and we shall see some results. Also if you dont have alot of money and dont wanna go turbo, that isnt a good route at all. LLT-Racing has a customer in PR with a DOHC naturally aspired mirage, that broke the all motor mirage/lancer record, 12.2 in the 1/4, with 550hp-ish. But im pretty sure thats not cheaper than a turbo kit. Long post huh?
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's not like someone will make substantially more power than I did with the same parts, the deviation car to car is maybe 5% which means they could maybe make 5% more power which at best would be another HP. 6 HP from every bolt-on out there, hardly something to rave about.
The motor was relatively new. It was opened to install the 10:1 pistons at which time it was bored out slightly, received new bearings and some new valves.
Where are these dynos? There are plenty of dynos floating around but very few have baselines. Moreover, I'm not the only one that experienced this, at least two other well established members observed the same abysmal gains from bolt-ons.
This thread is asking about HP gains! Therefore, in this respect, bolt-ons are a waste of money. Why? They gain very little power for the amount of money they cost. If the OP had asked what mods he could do to learn or what mods are safe, it'd be a different story but he specifically asked about power gains.
The 5 HP gain I observed was at the very top end of the power band. This idea that exhaust mods make huge power up top is wrong.

huge power? who said anything about huge power? now your putting words in my mouth...and maybe 5% deviation? first of all what does "maybe" mean mr. i need facts? and second where is your proof of that? i seen many cars that come factory with a 130hp and after years of use and abuse only have 100hp. proof is not needed unless your calling every major automobile company liars about their base hp. the base hp of the base model lancer is 120hp from the factory. i can guarantee that if you search these forums that you you will see lancer dyno sheets with 100-110 hp. and thats with bolt ons. so please tell me where you get this 5% number from? because that is by no means fact. but however it is a fact that cars loose hp with age. i realize that this thread is about hp gains, thats why i stated in my first post that if you really want hp you should go turbo. the original debate was me saying that you dont need to buy an evo to make significant hp, and that a base lancer could walk( as in freeway walk) on an evo when turbo'd properly. for much less than buying an evo. if you had read my last post with an open state of mind instead of an im right your wrong state of mine you would have noticed that i agree'd with you about bolt-ons making very limited power. all i was saying is that you can definitely FEEL more power in the top end. ive put on and taken off my header and intake multiple times for smog purposes and i definitely notice a difference in the top end. then when i put it back to stock i notice the power down low.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
huge power? who said anything about huge power? now your putting words in my mouth...and maybe 5% deviation? first of all what does "maybe" mean mr. i need facts? and second where is your proof of that? i seen many cars that come factory with a 130hp and after years of use and abuse only have 100hp. proof is not needed unless your calling every major automobile company liars about their base hp. the base hp of the base model lancer is 120hp from the factory. i can guarantee that if you search these forums that you you will see lancer dyno sheets with 100-110 hp. and thats with bolt ons. so please tell me where you get this 5% number from? because that is by no means fact. but however it is a fact that cars loose hp with age. i realize that this thread is about hp gains, thats why i stated in my first post that if you really want hp you should go turbo. the original debate was me saying that you dont need to buy an evo to make significant hp, and that a base lancer could walk( as in freeway walk) on an evo when turbo'd properly. for much less than buying an evo. if you had read my last post with an open state of mind instead of an im right your wrong state of mine you would have noticed that i agree'd with you about bolt-ons making very limited power. all i was saying is that you can definitely FEEL more power in the top end. ive put on and taken off my header and intake multiple times for smog purposes and i definitely notice a difference in the top end. then when i put it back to stock i notice the power down low.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bignasty_yagn
naturally aspired mirage, that broke the all motor mirage/lancer record, 12.2 in the 1/4, with 550hp-ish.
Just wanted to clear this up, its g94 bottom end and the HP isnt 550ish either.

Last edited by Lusion; Apr 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I wasn't the one that made the claim that Lancers have power deviations from the factory. I have heard of this with other cars though and it likely applies to Lancers as well. However, the deviation won't be that large, hence my 5% estimation. If there was as large as a 10% deviation from Lancer to Lancer, that would amount to 12 HP which would mean some unlikely saps would be getting Lancers with 108 HP.
Once again, my motor was effectively new thus your comments regarding the lose of power over time is irrelevant.
Dyno numbers are useless without a baseline. Saying that some Lancers are dynoing at 100 HP or 110 HP is pointless if we don't know what a stock Lancer would do on that dyno under those specific conditions.
I highly doubt you can feel more power in the top-end. Why? Because the power gains up top are so small that they're not only beyond the ability of someone to feel but they're beyond repeatibility on a dyno. Unfortunately it's hard to separate out perceived power gains due to other factors (placebo effect, increased noise, etc) and actual power gains.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lusion
Just wanted to clear this up, its g94 bottom end and the HP isnt 550ish either.
my mistake. Luis told me his PR customer was doing the DOHC swap this summer. But still a 12.2 lancer, NA. one helluva bamf