Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Erratic idle (warm weather only)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Erratic idle (warm weather only)

Ok, here is my problem that I have had for around a year now. I checked out some of the other threads about erratic idles in cold weather and at startup but my Lancer is the freak of the group and only does it when the weather is nice and when I'm stuck in traffic.

Everything is fine until I hit traffic. Then the idle starts bouncing from 2,000 RPMS to 2,500 RPMS. I noticed the other day that after being in traffic for about 1/2 hour, the idle was jumping to around 4,000!!

Like I said, it only happens when I'm stuck in traffic on a warmer day. It's an '05 Lancer OZ that's all stock. And it's got about 76,000 miles.

This problem has been driving me nuts!!!! Can anyone help???
Thanks.
- Rob
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle_Rob
Ok, here is my problem that I have had for around a year now. I checked out some of the other threads about erratic idles in cold weather and at startup but my Lancer is the freak of the group and only does it when the weather is nice and when I'm stuck in traffic.

Everything is fine until I hit traffic. Then the idle starts bouncing from 2,000 RPMS to 2,500 RPMS. I noticed the other day that after being in traffic for about 1/2 hour, the idle was jumping to around 4,000!!

Like I said, it only happens when I'm stuck in traffic on a warmer day. It's an '05 Lancer OZ that's all stock. And it's got about 76,000 miles.

This problem has been driving me nuts!!!! Can anyone help???
Thanks.
- Rob
I sounds like you might have a vacuum leak or a throttle cable that's getting stuck. I would start there. You can also reset your ECU by disconnecting your negative battery cable for 20 minutes and then letting the ECU re-learn the idle settings after hooking it back up.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Idle jumps when you have the ac on (obviously not supposed to jump that high). Just wondering if you have your ac on whenever this happens (ie on warm days).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:40 PM

I does it when the AC is on and off. I thought if I turned on the AC while the idle jumped it would bring it back down, but it has no effect on it. I have tried disconnecting the battery, but that didn't fix it either. The weather is pretty nice today, so I might see if I can get it to act up then check the throttle linkage to see if it's sticking.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 04:59 PM

Checked today and all the vacuum lines seem to be fine and there is no where for the throttle cable to catch on anything.

Any other ideas?
Old Apr 24, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Change your air filter, clean your MAF (MAF cleaner spray), all your intake stuff and clean the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner.
I had that same issue with my car and friend did too. I did what I wrote above and it went away. Try that. Like senate said you might have a small leak somewhere so when you put everything back in make sure everything is nice and tight and secure.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The throttle cable housing is getting hot and causing the metal cable contained inside to stick. All lancers do it. You can try wrapping the cable with plastic ribbed wire loom wrap available at any parts store. I wrapped mine in several layers and made sure the cable was not touching the valve cover or any other hot component. It's been fine ever since, even on the hottest (90*F here in new jersey) days. However, if the cable is already too messed up you will have to buy a replacement, and do what I said to it to prevent a recurrance.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:15 PM

I had heard of that cause from another post, but haven't given it too much thought...until now. The next time I notice it happening, I will check the wire housing to see if it's causing the cable to stick to it.
Old May 14, 2010, 01:17 AM

Did the wire loom trick and it's still acting up just as it was. Anyone have any other ideas??? I love my OZ, but this problem makes it hard to want to drive it in the nice weather.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:05 PM

Broke down yesterday and took it to the local Mitsubishi dealership and, after them having it all day, they were unsuccessful in diagnosing the problem but, they did charge me $150 for the diagnostic fee and did a recall on the PCM. When I got it home, the problem was back 100%. Took it back to the dealership today and apparently they need to do an injector flush and clean the throttle body...all for an additional $250. I'll update this thread if there are anymore issues, but this SHOULD take care of the problem. Thank God for tax refunds!!!
Old May 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go ahead and waste your money, but that won't fix it. It's the cable. If wrapping it up didn't help, replace the cable and wrap that one up good.
Old May 18, 2010, 12:36 PM

We'll see. At this point, I'll try anything. If it turns out that you're right, I will let you know and bow down.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had to replace my throttle cable twice over the years from it being heat damaged. Replaced this one about 2 years ago and she's starting to act up again when the engine temp is up there. I know it's the cable because I can tuck my foot under the pedal and give it a slight tap back and the idle stabilizes back down. The throttle cable is enduring much more heat now from my turbo manifold. I swore I'd wrap this one, but never got around to it. Next one will definitely be wrapped.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:00 PM

I'm not too proud to admit that I was wrong. You guys were right. (Bowing down as stated I would.) $450 down the crapper!!! It wasn't too bad that day leaving the dealership (only peaked at 2,000 RPMS instead of 4,000.) I did try lifting up on the bottom of the gas pedal with the tip of my foot, and what do ya know, THAT WORKED. So, because I blew through my savings to have the dealership do jack squat, I'm just gonna keep lifting the pedal until I can get a new car. I'll also look to see if the pedal needs to be loobed up or if the cable is sticking at the firewall.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

can anyone post or direct me to some instructions to on how to change the cable .. i have this happening to me. i was thinking it was the intake cuz of sucking warm air.. but i guess i was wrong? Seattle_Rob you're saying typing the gas pedal up fixes the problem? ill have to look at that tomorrow if its still 90 degrees here in chicago.. any help would be appreciated! thanks..

Quick Reply: Erratic idle (warm weather only)