Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Intake Vs. Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Vs. Exhaust

Hey everyone, I just got a 2010 Lancer ES (2.0) with a manual transmission. I am looking to get an intake and an exhaust system but was wondering if people think getting an intake is worth it. Some people say yes and some say no but for my car what do you think? And if I should do both which should I do first and what brand? Thanks Everyone.
Old May 25, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Just get a high flow panel filter and convert the intake pipe's opening to allow more air in. Its the best u can do for the lancer and the cheapest. Also for the exhaust u will pay a premium for a brand name one, but if ur getting one, get a header-back or at least a cat-back. The axel-back is just for the sound and wont improve performance. Also if u can, get it custom made. Should be a lot cheaper for the same things.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greddy SE exhaust is the only one that meets standards.
It performs well and sounds amazing, not to high pitched, not too annoying. Just pure bass.

Yes its expensive. But your paying for a badge of honor to be honest. Same can be said about why you buy that Sony TV (old days), or that Iphone(well when it first came out). you want it because you want to stand out. This exhaust is worth the money, you get good quality and a brand everyone respects.

Intake wise. I would go with either that AEM or the Injen Intake, both are respectable brands, and both perform. Tested and Verifed by myself.

Avoid Short Rams, unless it has a well designed heatshield. Heat soak can rob you faster than a dark alley at 2am.

lol
Old May 25, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Will the Greddy SE void warranty?
Old May 25, 2010, 01:57 PM

So i should stay away from a short ram? I had heard that the heat shields in the takeda SRI and the K&N SRI were good but that is just what people have said. If anyone has used them tell me what you think. And in regards to the Greddy SE exhaust will it void the warranty? or do most dealers just overlook it like most exhaust systems?
Old May 25, 2010, 02:00 PM

And will the Greddy fit on the 2010 Lancer ES? And if i do go for the greddy se whats the best a cat back or axle back for my car?

Last edited by sosukelancer; May 25, 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 06:56 PM

As far as the intake goes i just installed an injen today and I love it. In regards with the exhaust I was thinking about the magnaflow cat back personally.
Old May 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
On your car, it's splitting hairs. I doubt the drop in performance between a CAI and a SRI is significant or harmful, you're engine bay simply won't be that hot and your intake charge won't be that sensitive. An exhaust will void the warranty on the exhaust.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
On your car, it's splitting hairs. I doubt the drop in performance between a CAI and a SRI is significant or harmful, you're engine bay simply won't be that hot and your intake charge won't be that sensitive. An exhaust will void the warranty on the exhaust.
if its splitting hairs is it even worth putting in or should I just save my money to put in an exhaust system?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Edgerusher71
As far as the intake goes i just installed an injen today and I love it. In regards with the exhaust I was thinking about the magnaflow cat back personally.
I have 2.4 Injen CAI, and running on the Magnaflow CATback. So far, I like the Mangaflow the best. Need an video clip? let me know, I will shoot one for ya. Busy these days though. be patient.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

I had a Magnaflow Cat-Back on my Lancer SE 08. The sound was nice, not too loud but still noticeable. I already had the RRM SRI.

Personnally I noticed I lost some low-end power. I'm not sure it's worth it if you don't plan getting a tune.

For the SRI or CAI, be careful with the diameter of the piping, because usually the power gain you'll get is from leaning out your AFR... This is because a lot of SRI and CAI use larger piping the stock one and it would normally require a tune to make sure everything runs within safe parameters.