Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Help asap car problems please read!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Help asap car problems please read!!!

OK it was my brothers graduation, I get there car is running smooth, but when I come back, its like my battery just died? I never left the headlights on or anything else. Well my dad gave me a jump, and it had a hard time starting. Well when we got it started I left and couldnt turn the headlights on otherwise the car would just bog down, and when I turn them off it goes back to normal, the rpm's wouldnt stay normal for some reason, and the engine service light came on when the headlights were turned on... Any clue to what might have happened? Im wondering if its the battery, the alternator, Or maybe I wired my gauges wrong, which shouldnt be the problem because I had them hooked up for at least 2 and half weeks. I need help asap
Old Jun 5, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got a multimeter? I'd test the battery and the alternator. How old's the battery?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven121
OK it was my brothers graduation, I get there car is running smooth, but when I come back, its like my battery just died? I never left the headlights on or anything else. Well my dad gave me a jump, and it had a hard time starting. Well when we got it started I left and couldnt turn the headlights on otherwise the car would just bog down, and when I turn them off it goes back to normal, the rpm's wouldnt stay normal for some reason, and the engine service light came on when the headlights were turned on... Any clue to what might have happened? Im wondering if its the battery, the alternator, Or maybe I wired my gauges wrong, which shouldnt be the problem because I had them hooked up for at least 2 and half weeks. I need help asap
My money is on the alternator steven, sounds like it isnt flat dead yet but it cant charge the battery and barely keeps the car going.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
Got a multimeter? I'd test the battery and the alternator. How old's the battery?
Originally Posted by 03lances
My money is on the alternator steven, sounds like it isnt flat dead yet but it cant charge the battery and barely keeps the car going.

well the car works just fine for some reason? But im taking it to autozone tomorrow and getting it tested to see whats up.

I dont know how old the battery is because when I bought it I never changed it so I dont know when the previous owner did.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My money would also be on the alternator. Check the connections with the battery and alternator, make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. No stray wires grounding out or anything either. Chances are, however, that the alternator is on its way out. It has enough juice to keep the car running, but when you put another external load on it (i.e. the headlights, aftermarket stereo, etc..) it will bog down and die.

Test it with a multimeter and make sure it is putting out over 12v, pretty sure my car reads 14v at cruise and idle.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
My money would also be on the alternator. Check the connections with the battery and alternator, make sure they are tight and free of corrosion. No stray wires grounding out or anything either. Chances are, however, that the alternator is on its way out. It has enough juice to keep the car running, but when you put another external load on it (i.e. the headlights, aftermarket stereo, etc..) it will bog down and die.

Test it with a multimeter and make sure it is putting out over 12v, pretty sure my car reads 14v at cruise and idle.
I have gauges in the car could that have caused the alternator to freak out
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

I have gauges in the car could that have caused the alternator to freak out
As you said, if its been running fine for two weeks I doubt a problem would shoot up overnight like that. If you had a problem with the gauge wiring you would probably only blow the fuse they were attached to, rather than bogging the entire electrical system down.

Did you hook them up to a fuse or directly off of the battery?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

As you said, if its been running fine for two weeks I doubt a problem would shoot up overnight like that. If you had a problem with the gauge wiring you would probably only blow the fuse they were attached to, rather than bogging the entire electrical system down.

Did you hook them up to a fuse or directly off of the battery?
I didnt even hook it up to a fuse at all, there is a brown wire connecting to the box that has power, so what I did was cut that wire and spliced my power to three gauges on that wire, and there was a blue and black wire that had a plastic piece connected that said 16 pin only? so I cut that wire and spliced it to my egt gauge. they all work just great but should I have installed them differently?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt its your gauges as well. buchnerj is correct with the car off you should see around 12v DC at the battery and with the engine running if the battery shows anything out of the 13.7-14.2v range then your alternator is going out or some loose or corroded connection somewhere.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt its your gauges as well. buchnerj is correct with the car off you should see around 12v DC at the battery and with the engine running if the battery shows anything out of the 13.7-14.2v range then your alternator is going out or some loose or corroded connection somewhere.
Well the car is running fine right now? I will look at it monday when i get back from work in the morning, if its the alternator it shouldnt be to hard to install it
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well the car is running fine right now? I will look at it monday when i get back from work in the morning, if its the alternator it shouldnt be to hard to install it
Yes if its the alternator maybe it will last a day and it will die again, or maybe a week, but as long as its charging there will not be any noticable difference in the cars performance. As long as it holds over until you can confirm the issue
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah. I doubt its the gauges, but I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to your install. The way most people do gauge installs is to either tap a fuse that is already in the cabin, or run a wire from the battery with an inline fuse rated for the amperage they need.

An alternator swap isn't too difficult, but it is a PITA. Good luck with your situation and let us know if you need any other suggestions!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes if its the alternator maybe it will last a day and it will die again, or maybe a week, but as long as its charging there will not be any noticable difference in the cars performance. As long as it holds over until you can confirm the issue
Yeah. I doubt its the gauges, but I have no idea what you are talking about with regards to your install. The way most people do gauge installs is to either tap a fuse that is already in the cabin, or run a wire from the battery with an inline fuse rated for the amperage they need.

An alternator swap isn't too difficult, but it is a PITA. Good luck with your situation and let us know if you need any other suggestions!
Thanks guys I will take it to autozone and see what the issue is and I will get it taken care of, This just pushed my build a little further, luckily I have all the parts
Old Jun 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys I will take it to autozone and see what the issue is and I will get it taken care of, This just pushed my build a little further, luckily I have all the parts
Steven if it turns out to be your alternator which is what it sounds like to me Pm me I have one on the shelf with a fresh rebuild by a local electric shop I'll hook ya up with cheap