Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Battery and Brake Light Flickering

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery and Brake Light Flickering

2004 Lancer ES, Stock engine. Recently my car started to stutter and lights dimming right after start up, and after it's warmed up no more stuttering or lights dimming, but the battery and ebrake light flash on and off. Replaced battery because I had one lying around, no change. Seems strange that the brake light is on. I would think my altenator is just going bad, but I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what the solution is. I don't want to go through the work of replacing the altenator if I don't have to. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have a local auto parts store you can have them check if your alttenator is good or not on the car.
Apart from that, could be your idle air control motor.
Not sure other then these two.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

i kinda had the same thing and it was alternator. before you pull it out see how many volts it is at the alternator side. if its unter 13.5 then its on its way out and best to replace it now before winter since i see you live here in wisconsin...

josh
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JRR
i kinda had the same thing and it was alternator. before you pull it out see how many volts it is at the alternator side. if its unter 13.5 then its on its way out and best to replace it now before winter since i see you live here in wisconsin...

josh
+1, mine was the alternator as well. Next thing after what you described is the car will run if the battery is charged, but will eventually die....fix it before that, lol.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HornstarBU
+1, mine was the alternator as well. Next thing after what you described is the car will run if the battery is charged, but will eventually die....fix it before that, lol.
Lol yes I know this. The thing that throws me off is the brake light, never seen that come on simultaneously. I borrowed a thing to test my altenator, so I'll be doing that tonight. Thanks for the input!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

low brake fluid can cause the light to flicker when you take turns, have you checked the fluid level?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I thought of that, fluid level is good. Checked the alternator last night and it was only putting out 11 amps. So I'll be replacing that, and hopefully the brake light will disappear with it. Also, my driver side window stopped working along with the other problems... this car is strange.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NixLancer
Yeah I thought of that, fluid level is good. Checked the alternator last night and it was only putting out 11 amps. So I'll be replacing that, and hopefully the brake light will disappear with it. Also, my driver side window stopped working along with the other problems... this car is strange.
11 amps or volts?
You should've checked DC volts.

Sorry to hear about the window, not having good luck with that thing.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Window motors are mechanical, moving parts wear out. Every single car I have ever owned with power windows has had at least 1 motor go out....that's not strange I don't think.