Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Throwing codes!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throwing codes!!!

hi guys. i've posted on here a few times about this car i just bought for my wife. it's a 2002 lancer ls, i got it about a month ago having alot of problems. already changed the head gasket!!!!!!! everything seems ok just small stuff. my problem now is it keeps throwin codes. it threw misfire codes I changed wires in all 4 plugs. It threw O2 sensor, changed it, now I go to get it inspected and it is now throwing catalytic converter not heating up code...not sure why it keeps throwing coded after code....always a different code once I fix the problem code it throws....still throwing new code each time. If anyone has any advice of iformation that could be of help....I just want to get it inspected but now it is saying " NOT READY" ...Thanks, Jeff
Old Jan 9, 2011, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lil' jeff
hi guys. i've posted on here a few times about this car i just bought for my wife. it's a 2002 lancer ls, i got it about a month ago having alot of problems. already changed the head gasket!!!!!!! everything seems ok just small stuff. my problem now is it keeps throwin codes. it threw misfire codes I changed wires in all 4 plugs. It threw O2 sensor, changed it, now I go to get it inspected and it is now throwing catalytic converter not heating up code...not sure why it keeps throwing coded after code....always a different code once I fix the problem code it throws....still throwing new code each time. If anyone has any advice of iformation that could be of help....I just want to get it inspected but now it is saying " NOT READY" ...Thanks, Jeff
You should take it to the dealership and see if it has had the cat replaced under the recall.
More then likely the code it's throwing is because your O2 sensor under your car has gone bad though.

I really can't speak to it throwing so many codes, maybe the car has alot of miles on it?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

well i went and it FINNALLY passed inspection,after 3 times!!!!! its just sayin not ready on catalyst,so thats next on the big list ive already done. it has around 200,000 miles on it but overall seems to be a good car,just normal wear and tear. wish the cat was under warranty but their not to expensive.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like whoever had it did not bother doing much for routine maintenance on it. Thats too bad. I hope you got it for a steal. Hopefully you got the bulk of the issues resolved.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

they didnt do anything but drive seems like, and what they did im havin to go back and fix right. i only paid $1300 for it so i dont mind puttin money in it ,just didnt expect $1000 dollars within a month! now on to suspension ,exhaust and normal stuff.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

they didnt do anything but drive seems like, and what they did im havin to go back and fix right. i only paid $1300 for it so i dont mind puttin money in it ,just didnt expect $1000 dollars within a month! now on to suspension ,exhaust and normal stuff.
Not bad at all then. My intial purchase for my car was a whopping $700. It was only 3 years old and had 55k miles. However there was a reason for that price. I was not wrecked and has a clear title but it was a bank repo and had no transmission and was pretty much a pos. They could not confirm if the engine was any good so they had $1000 on it I offered $700. I had body work done had it painted and found all the misc parts needed to get it up and moving. Then at the end of '09 I turboed it. As it stands now uncluding the price of the car and everything I have done to it as it sits now with mods I have about $7200 in total.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

awesome. im wanting to do upgrades but not sure on what to do. not used to newer cars. i just want exhaust and little bit more power but aint got alot of money ya know. plus its my wifes car mostly but she loves power too. she drives it to school and i steal it when i want lol when she gets done its gettin a new engine and tranny then turbo maybe nitros all the goodies. right now gas mileage is good but will upgrade some stuff as long as it passes emissions lol
Old Jan 9, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ya... luckily I live where I don't have to take emission cause no way in hell my car would pass lol. whenever you decide on some upgrades hit me up I can tell us what's worth Getting and what's not.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

ya ur lucky man. i used to live in an emissions free county, i still gotta truck i built that wont pass lol so i gotta drive an hour to inspect it. hey thanx for the offer on help i would like some info on what to get, u think u can send me ur email in a message so i can hit u up. i will be startin on upgrades soon.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

i was wondering, i hear that if the car aint grounded good it might throw codes. i have a ground wire thats attached to the timing cover not sure if thats good enough ground.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

i was wondering, i hear that if the car aint grounded good it might throw codes. i have a ground wire thats attached to the timing cover not sure if thats good enough ground.
Isn't the timing cover plastic?
I'm not sure if the hole the bolt goes in is a good metal ground as I've never had the cover off.
I do recommend upgrading the grounds though, about $20 it's for sure worth it.
Here is a video of a how to on the grounding upgrade:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...kers-subs.html

As for if this is causing you to throw codes?
Based on the type of codes you're throwing and all I don't think so.
You can check to see if your O2 sensors are good or not by checking the volts they put out at operating temps.

Download the 2003 service manual off this thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...able-here.html
And lookup how to check the O2 sensors.
This way you can see if it's throwing the code because it's really bad or something else.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

yea the cover is plastic. but when i changed the head gasket i put it back where it was. the bolt holes are metal but im thinkin not good enough so im gonna reroute it. i've got the whole repair manual and it shows that ground wire there but maybe a different spot.