Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4g63 into a Lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g63 into a Lancer?

It came out of an Evo 8. I was just wondering if it would bolt right in to a 2003 Lancer OZ?. Also is $3,500 a good price for engine, trans, and turbo?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll need to do some serious modification to the chassis if you indeed on keeping the AWD. Otherwise, you'll need to convert it to FWD using the trans from a 4G64. You'll also need to swap a Lancer differential into the trans to use your stock axles.

You will also need to fab a custom motor mount bracket on the passenger side. This engine isn't a drop-in and go job. It requires alot of time and modification to work, but it is doable if you have the motivation and funds.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:49 PM

how about...

Would the turbo and manifold fit ?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

If you keep the 4g63 engine after all that work then yes. If you keep your 4g94 engine then no to the manifold not unless you weld a 4g94 flange to it and the turbo will fit best if you got a 4g94 turbo manifold. The piping is a direct fit. You would either have to relocate your battery or make a custom intake setup for the turbo intake. It's all here in the forums. Just search. There are a few ppl here who have done the 4g64 swap into a lancer. After that you can put the evo 8 head onto the g64 bottom end. Not plug and play. Lots of work, time, money. It's been covered already though.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:57 PM

so

is there a better engine that I could drop in with minimal work, or is that why everyone just says save up for an Evo? And would it even be worth it performance wise? Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Georgia boy
is there a better engine that I could drop in with minimal work, or is that why everyone just says save up for an Evo? And would it even be worth it performance wise? Thanks
That's pretty much the long and short of it. With the money you'll spend making your Lancer as fast as an Evo, it is usually more financially sound to just purchase an Evo. If you're set on keeping your Lancer I would suggest swapping in a 4G64. It provides the best foundation to build upon since it's a 4G6x series engine AND it's FWD. From there you can turbo it, DOHC Evo head swap or both and you'll have some very nice power to work with. A stock 4G64 isn't a huge increase in power after it's dropped in. It simply provides a much better canvas to work with.

I would take that $3500 you would've spent on the 4G63 engine and spend it on a 4G64 engine swap and then turbo that engine.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:08 PM

I'm just trying to start collecting the parts that I would need for the turbo setup. The guy wants $150 for the Evo 8 turbo. I'm not sure what all is included though. Someone suggested a RRM setup, but it's like 4k. I'm not in a big hurry so if it took a while to find everything and save $ it would be worth it to me.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:12 PM

what vehicles have the 4g64's in them. I'll find out if you dont know right off the top of your head. Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:17 PM

I dont really expect to match the performance of the evo. I would'nt mind just throwing a turbo on it the way it is. Are there any parts that would be prone wear from the turbo that I should upgrade beforehand?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

what vehicles have the 4g64's in them. I'll find out if you dont know right off the top of your head. Thanks
2000-2005 Eclipse GS/RS and Galant have this engine. It's a 2.4L SOHC 4G64. Make sure it's a 4G64 from a 2000 and up vehicle.

I dont really expect to match the performance of the evo. I would'nt mind just throwing a turbo on it the way it is. Are there any parts that would be prone wear from the turbo that I should upgrade beforehand?
You'll want to upgrade your injectors and fuel pump to ensure adequate fueling. You'll also need to upgrade your clutch. Stock clutch will begin to slip pretty quickly after going turbo.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Another Rally trying turbo, no offense but you ll realize soon enough its not worth the numbers and your really dumb if you do....a stock evo pulls what you ll be pushing MAX. On top of that to use your rally as a Daily driver means you d need a second car to have when your engine block goes. With some research you ll realize the rally to turbo isnt direct bolt and with that it will be=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I d recommend just driving it, selling it, and getting atleast a stock platform to work on that will show better gains. I had a rally and I gave up. Turboing the rally is like turboing a prius, you can do it, but in the end...its still slower and you still loose money on your car and you ll be laughed at by evo guys all the time. Trust me on this, I ve been in your shoes. Its like buying a house, you dont get the $500,000 home right off the bat. The number is too big right? Well, if you start in a apartment, pay-$400 or so, save $10,000.00, put that as a down payment on a home for $100,000. Rent out that house for $450 a month per room + ultilities=income and save that for the $500,000 home. Next thing you know, you got the $100,000 home making=$125 more than your payments then factor in once you pay off the house. Moral of the story, turboing a non turbo'd car is like trying to buy the $500,000 home without paying off the $100,000 home. In the long run it will become more expensive than to just do one thing at a time. Save, save, save.

Last edited by Lancer XI1; Jan 23, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
if you plan on keeping your oz lancer, i would just keep the 4g94 motor in it. you can buy a turbo kit from RRM for $4200 that comes with everything you need to go turbo. the kit isn't going to throw in the seat, but you should be up around 200hp to the crank. from what i read in the forums on here, it isn't just that easy to do a motor swap on our car. you will need a tranny and axles to make the 4g64 motor go in. you're talking an additional $2000 to do the swap and thats if you do it yourself. you're better off building the motor you got. turbo it, flywheel and stage 2 clutch kit. throttle body, intake manifold, aftermarket exhaust with lager diameter, and test pipe. after that you can start upgrading the fuel pump, injectors, and internals to boost more. you're never going to run 10s in this car without 30k but you can still enjoy it and can easily be running 12s for around 10k. its so much easier for a honda kid with a sohc to go fast than it is for us.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
just do this

take off that 4G63 head clean it up and keep it, sell the bottom end of the 4G63 motor or try to trade someone the bottom end for a 4G64 if you cant sell the motor then just bolt the head back on the 4G64, you pretty much got one of the most important parts for your swap. if you really want to do the 4G63 swap keep in mind how much you will spend times not really an issue

im just buying a 4G94 motor eventually if evos drop in price I will try to buy one, or just get a wrecked one since I like building stuff anyways.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

4G64 swap = motor + 4G64 bellhousing. You use your Lancer trans and stock axles. Swap can be done for well under $1000. Once you have a 4G64 under your hood, your options are much better than with a 4G94. And you can still go turbo and make some very nice power.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:28 PM

good luck.....just buy an evo for the money youre going to spend.

Quick Reply: 4g63 into a Lancer?