Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

power steering belt keeps sliding off

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering belt keeps sliding off

like the title states.....its rele annoying and i dont know how to stop it
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zulu989
like the title states.....its rele annoying and i dont know how to stop it
Are you tensioning the belt properly? It's a ribbed belt and should never slide off when installed properly. Is the tensioner pulley tightened down evenly? If you tension the belt too much while the pulley is not tightened down it will cause the pulley to be crooked. I could possibly see the belt sliding off if the pulley is crooked.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have no ac so the belt just goes around the power steering and pulley, i tighten it very nice, its only been happening to me recently, never before, it only takes about 3 days to see that the belt has moved over 2 or 3 ribs, lost 2 belts already. i dont see any bend in the pulley, i rele hate this x(

arent u supposed to loosn the pulley, then tension, then tighten it???? i mean how do u tension it if its tight and cant move back and forth?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by zulu989
i have no ac so the belt just goes around the power steering and pulley, i tighten it very nice, its only been happening to me recently, never before, it only takes about 3 days to see that the belt has moved over 2 or 3 ribs, lost 2 belts already. i dont see any bend in the pulley, i rele hate this x(

arent u supposed to loosn the pulley, then tension, then tighten it???? i mean how do u tension it if its tight and cant move back and forth?
My guess is either there isn't enough tension on the belt from the pulley or the belt you're using to eliminate the A/C isn't small enough. Looking at the belt layout of the engine, by taking the A/C compressor out of the belt's path, alot of tension on the belt is lost now that the belt doesn't wrap around the pulley to then go around the A/C compressor. Since now the belt only goes around the PS pump and crank pulley, the tensioner pulley isn't in a position to provide the same tension.

After you tension down the belt, can you twist the belt in the middle between the crank pulley and PS pump? Does it twist easily? If so, there isn't enough tension placed on the belt. You will also want to check how much deflection the belt now has. A slipping or falling off belt can be attributed to too much deflection as well.