Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

A/C is blowing warm air. Low on Freon?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C is blowing warm air. Low on Freon?

After 9 years of maintenance free A/C and a nice COLD breeze, I decided to do my annual check for the upcoming 2011 summer. However, this time I can hear the A/C compressor on (and you can watch the tachometer change when you push the A/C button), but it is blowing warm air.

Do I need to check the Freon levels and possibly add some? I have never performed maintenance on the A/C unit so I'm sure it's due.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
may have a leak in a fitting, look for a really clean spot on the AC lines. If its a leak just get the proper O ring kit and change the seals. Best bet is to have it evacuated and have new R12 or R134a put back in. Youd need to use an identifier to determine what type of charge you have. Probably R134a... Just dont vent that stuff into the air, bad for the atmosphere.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corndog17
Just dont vent that stuff into the air, bad for the atmosphere.
Just 'cause the EPA say's something doesn't make it so...

It will be R-134a in your car and I would just add it or better yet have someone who knows what they are doin' add it.
Don't wanna overcharge it.

Then I would wait and see how long it lasts.
If it lasts a couple years I wouldn't worry about goin' any deeper with it.
Old May 3, 2011, 02:49 AM
Evolved Member

I had this issue, turns out I had a leak in my A/C line. I would suggest checking all your hoses and then having it corrected, if needed. It is possible that you may just need to vaccuum the whole system again.
Old May 19, 2011, 07:26 PM

A/C will natural leak past seals over time, you more than likely just need a recharge and it wouldnt hurt to have a leak check done. you can buy little cans that have a flourecent dye in them and inject it into the system from the low side... and you Will have R-134 because R-12 was not put in cars by the factory after 1995 i do believe. and you need a special license to get R-12. and actually venting to atmosphere is illegal in most states hence why to do actual A/C service in shops you need to be certified by ASE and have a certification from the EPA. I had to go through the classes to get mine
Old Jun 24, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by MagnumVP
After 9 years of maintenance free A/C and a nice COLD breeze, I decided to do my annual check for the upcoming 2011 summer. However, this time I can hear the A/C compressor on (and you can watch the tachometer change when you push the A/C button), but it is blowing warm air.

Do I need to check the Freon levels and possibly add some? I have never performed maintenance on the A/C unit so I'm sure it's due.
Have you checked to see if the air box linkage is broken.... mine was stuck on heat/broken linkage so i manually actuated the air box door and magically had freezing cold air. Just an idea, check under the drivers side near the console, you will see a large white gear if that actuates while turning your temp control knob then you can rule this out.

P.S. I could hear my compressor kick on as well and see the rpm drop before I linked the problem to the air box linkage being broken.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:47 PM

hi, just fixed my A/C..... so I'd suggest you go over the same steps that I did..

Check for leaks in your freon lines (easily done by dye or have a professional do it, approximately 80 to 100 bucks, depends on the person)

if no leak, and reinjection of freon fixed problem, ur done. if not continue.

hearing the 'compressor' and normal preparations for A/C (engine rpm changes, and others) does not mean your A.C is really working. look at the belts section for your A/C clutch to see if it is engaged when AC is turned on.

If it is not engaged, attempt bypass of control board by hooking up the a.c. clutch directly to the batt, to see if it will engage. if it does, check signals from AC controller. if it doesn't your clutch's magnetic coil might need to be replaced. if there are no signals from AC controller, that's circuitry board needs replacement, but before that check temp sensor to see if it is giving off a wrong signal to stop the AC.

if it engages, check temp sensor to see if it i malfunctioning.

see if you can find the Service manual for your Car's AC and follow the instructions as outlined.

My problem was the clutch being d/c when it gets too warm...