Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Catalytic convert help

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic convert help

Ok, first off, I did a search and found nothing, so please don't delete this until I actually get some help.

I have a 02 Lancer OZ. only upgrades are a short ram exaust from ebay and a Greddy stainless steel cat back exaust.

I have 106K miles and my engine light has beeen on for a while. I was originally told at autozone that it was the o2 sensor, so I replaced that, and its still there. The guys at Goodyear checked it yesterday and said ti was the catalytic convertor. I called the local dealership, who are generally dicks, and they said that the warranty ran out on the cat at 100K miles. I asked about a recall on them, and they said that there wasn't one. Though I keep seeing things on line that there was one.

Anyway, if I have to replace this, I am looking at going with a straight pipe or aftermarket upgrades. I live in SC now and inspections isn't a concern since we don't have them.

I am looked in the sponors list and online for dealers for parts, but all I find is EVO dealers. I can't find anyone who carrys parts for regular lancers.

My question is what do you reccommend I do to fix it, and who do you reccommend for the parts?

Thanks for any help.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

just replace the cat...fairly cheap go to summitracing.com. did u replace the o2 sensor under the car and which cat did they say was bad cause the manifold with the cat is expensive!
Old May 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the easiest and cheapest route is just to go to your local exhaust shop and ask them to change your cat or to make you a testpipe.
Old May 17, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Not for sure if its a full blown recall on the cat but its a very common issue for our lancers with the cat. I had mine replaced free by the dealer since I was still under the 100k mark when it happened to me. Might as well get a high flow cat since you have to change it anyways.
Old May 17, 2011, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

How can you guys tell him to buy parts and which part to buy?
We don't even know what the problem is!
We're all assuming the CEL was P0421, but we don't know for sure since he didn't say anything about the problem.

Originally Posted by Ravenlancer
I asked about a recall on them, and they said that there wasn't one. Though I keep seeing things on line that there was one.
Maybe you asked the wrong question?
The recall wasn't for a faulty cat converter. The recall was for bad ECU programming that led to a faulty cat.
When they announced the recall, people would bring their car to the dealer and the dealer would reprogram the ECU.

So if you ask about a recall for cat converters, then obviously the answer will be that there are none.
If you ask about a recall on the ECU or something similar, then you might get lucky.
Asking the right questions will get you the right answers.

If your code was indeed P0421 and you'd like to inquire about the related tsb, ask your dealer about TSB 89.
NHTSA # for that tsb is 10003122

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Last edited by blaze_125; May 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

thats all true. my cel says the cat aint warming up so im changing everything since i just replaced the motor and i have a spare cat off my donor lancer along with alot of other parts. wish i could get it replaced but between the carfax and title im assuming the car has well over 200k. previous owner lied,,imagine that,, and i didnt know at the time.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:45 PM

I had a P0421. I changed out the cat under the car with a hi-flow and the light still came on. I changed out the header with a cheap ebay one and that seemed to have solved the problem. I guess the one in the header is considered the 'main cat'. I considered it a 'pre-cat'
Old May 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rtekc
I had a P0421. I changed out the cat under the car with a hi-flow and the light still came on. I changed out the header with a cheap ebay one and that seemed to have solved the problem. I guess the one in the header is considered the 'main cat'. I considered it a 'pre-cat'
You got P0421 and went straight to the 2nd cat.
Instead of trying to find out WHY P0421 lit up your dash, to fix the actual problem.
That's fkn non-sense.

That's like saying "I cut my whole freakin leg yesterday"
Why? My toes were itching
Turned out I had something stuck in my socks.

Last edited by blaze_125; May 17, 2011 at 01:27 PM.