Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

2011 lancer cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 lancer cold air intake?

Hey guys, i want to put a intake on my 2011 lancer GTS and i have some questions about compatibility. It seems fairly hard to find one that claims 2011 model compatibility however, looking at the K&N typhoon http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-6544TS claims it can be used on 08-10 models. Is there any reason that it cannot be used on the 2011 GTS also? I'm also wondering if anyone has personal reviews/opinions between getting a K&N or something like a Takeda shorty intake http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/takedatr4203p.html The K&N shows an actual dyno chart for the HP gain claim but the Takeda shows a shockingly high 20HP gain but with a lack of dyno chart to prove it. I'm not sure i trust this and would like to get some people's personal opinions between the two. Suggestions for other brand/model intakes are also welcome. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the k&n was designed when the 2.0l was out, the takeda is specifically for the 2.4l. I have seen the k&n installed/running on a 2.4l engine with no issues but I prefer the design (closed airbox) of the takeda

visit 9glancers theres a thread about this intake.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For compatibility you just need to make sure that the intake is for a 2.4L. some intakes work for both 2.0 and 2.4 but you'll see more gains if you get one that is for the 2.4 only. the takeda 2.4 intake has seen pretty good gains but not 20 hp that the site you posted claims. there was a group buy on 9gLancer and most of the members who bought them are pretty satisfied with the product.
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,12972.0.html
i think the gains for the takeda were in the ball park of 13-15 whp with out a tune. with a tune you'll see more to the 20 hp advertised on afe
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...L4&&brandID=78
if you read through the 9gLancer thread you'll find that there was some quality issues that some members had to over come with a little creativity, but every is happy with the overall gains felt with the takeda over the K&N. 1 or 2 members exchanged their takeda intake for quality issues and got a new one sent to them without having to play hard ball with afe. so customer service is pretty good with them.

hope this helps, welcome to the forums

Last edited by SYSTEMA; Jun 6, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added some more details
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Those systems arnt bad, but I would stay away from the K&N just because of the oil filter. Not sure if the takeda uses a oiled or dry filter. Oiled filters can easily damage the MAF sensor (which isnt cheap). I personally use the Injen CAI. Saw very nice gains (especially after a tune). Also theirs is a dry filter so no problems for the MAF sensor. However it is a mission to clean as it involves u taking off ur bumper or left wheel. Also there is no danger of taking in water as ive been through heavy rains and actually flooded roads with my lancer and still not a single problem. And finally the injen CAI is the better choice if ur going to be modding even further. I know of a lot of guys who got the cheaper SRI's such as the K&N, takeda etc and then replaced them with a Injen CAI as they become less efficient the deeper u go into a build.

My 2c
Old Jun 6, 2011, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Even with a bypass valve, I still wouldn't recommend driving through standing water with a CAI... sorry to the OP, don't know the answer to your question
Old Jun 6, 2011, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well I wouldnt recommend it either lol. Im just saying I have on quite a few occasions and got out alright
Old Jun 7, 2011, 12:32 PM

i have the aem cai and i love it, very nice gain throughout as opposed to gains @higher rpms like the injen. cleaning the filter actually doesn't require the wheel to be taken off, i did it once with solely jacking up the wheel (cause i idiotically forgot my wheel's key somewhere else). where the filter is sitting is actually pretty protected by the liner panels, but with that being said i haven't tried flooring it going through water puddles and wouldn't either! lol
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:04 AM

Thanks everybody for the input here. I read through that entire thread on 9GLancers along with a good amount of the original thread. I was pleased by the results that people claimed and decided to order the Takeda. Fingers crossed it is coming this next Tuesday!!
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:03 PM

2011 Lancer 2.0L Auto Tranny Cold Air Intake

Hey guys,

Any1 here anything on what Cold Air Intakes actually fit on the 2011 Lancer GT 2.0L Auto Transmission?

Thanks,

Pat.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:07 AM

numerous choices for cai. personally i've always gone with injen but just an fyi there wont be much of a performance gain with an intake if tou dont get a tune. mostly people get them for increased throttle response or for the sound.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:27 PM

i suggest u go with the Short ram RRM v2, CAI is no good in areas where there is lots of rain, u can easily flod ur engine and have to rebuild it (costly)
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:27 PM

Tune??

Originally Posted by quickflips
numerous choices for cai. personally i've always gone with injen but just an fyi there wont be much of a performance gain with an intake if tou dont get a tune. mostly people get them for increased throttle response or for the sound.
what do you mean get a tune? do you mean the ecu? I want a tune...
I'm new here... Can ya tell... LoL
Old Oct 5, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Anyone know what the typical outside diameter of the tubing these kits are using?

Last edited by Hiboost; Oct 5, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
Rix

I have the takeda and absolutely love it !