Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

4G93E (All-Motor) Build

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012 | 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

damn im mad im gonna miss MOD again this year
Old May 25, 2012 | 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Seriously? Why?? =(
Old May 25, 2012 | 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

He moved to virginia

Last edited by jujukiller; May 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jun 7, 2012 | 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

So I got those days off from work and set myself up for a four day weekend. Yeah... that's definitely a drill weekend for me... FML
Old Jun 8, 2012 | 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Midnightkid
So I got those days off from work and set myself up for a four day weekend. Yeah... that's definitely a drill weekend for me... FML
that sucks...put in a special request to resched
Old Jul 31, 2012 | 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Still alive, Engine hasn't exploded yet lol. I had to put the tune on hold due to unforeseen expenses (i.e - Closing fees for a house lol), but mainly because last month, I discovered a very tiny hole in the timing belt (Didn't go all the way though, but it was noticeable). Well within a week or two, that tiny hole became a full blown etch along the length of the timing belt. I had Luis from LLT-Racing ship me out a new one, so I'll get that knocked out sometime mid-August. But anywho, It's the pretty much the end of Summer. I decided to hold off any tune until September, when the temperature drops. I promise to post up pics and vids here in a tad bit. My buddies and I have started cruising a lot more frequently ever since my friend picked up and Scion FRS.
Old Jul 11, 2013 | 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

I've been putting it off forever, but I finally got tired of getting 15 mpg and got the Lancer Tuned and Dyno'd. Not as great as I'd hope for, but definitely an improvement. With that said, N/A Lancers on a Mustang Dyno run anywhere from 80-95 whp in 3rd Gear. This is gonna break a lot of hearts but my car Dyno'd in at 94 whp...

... In 2nd Gear

There was issues with the Lancer staying in 3rd gear when trying to get a solid read so it got tuned and Dyno'd in 2nd. My AFR before the tune was 11.3, now it's holding steady at 12.6. The Tranny's starting to give, so I opted out of lifting the Rev-limit. You can definitely see in the power band that there was still more power to be made.

Would I do this swap again... probably not to be honest. Parts are a headache to get. I'm still running a stripped EVO ignition wire since I can't locate a replacement. It's been fun, but aside from maybe piecing together a Manual swap or getting the Tranny rebuilt, I'm not gonna execute the second stage of my build, which would be head rebuild and cams. With that said,I picked up an 02 MR-S as my next project car. Plan to do the 2ZZ swap on that sucker.

Special Shout out to Luis at LLT-Racing, Trevor over at Trev-Tec, Devin at Virtual Works Racing, and Douglas at Doug's Dyno Power. Thanks everyone who followed my build and thanks everyone who supported me and helped me along the way.

BTW, that's not a sunset. That's the Wildfire at Mt. Charleston over here in Vegas =P

Last edited by Midnightkid; Jul 11, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2013 | 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Glad to see you updating this once again! Too bad you couldn't get a good reading in 3rd, what do you think your whp would have been if it had worked?
Old Jul 11, 2013 | 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Don't speculate on HP, that just leads to people getting their hopes up.
Old Jul 11, 2013 | 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

5500 RPMs is when the power started to kick in. There was about a 15whp increase before it got shut down at 6000. At it's most modest climb from 4500-5500, it made about 10whp. If it revved up to 8300 like it's supposed to, it could've made an additional 20 whp at it's most modest climb, to 65whp if it went at the same rate from 5500-6000RPMs.

Granted it was 94 degrees when it was tuned, if the car was in 3rd gear and my car got decent air rather than ambient air (They forgot to put a fan in front of the car), my car could've possibly made anywhere between 114whp (Most modest level) to 160whp (Most optimistic level). Keep in mind this is on a Mustang dyno.

Long time no Speak Amby lol.

But Amby's right. I'm just happy it's done to be honest. I could definitely feel the difference from the tune. The lag I felt in between gears wasn't as significant like it was before and the improvement on throttle response is as clear as night and day. Not to mention it took 1/4 tank of gas to get the the shop, but my gas meter didn't budge on the way home lol

Last edited by Midnightkid; Jul 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2013 | 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

There isn't a chance in hell it would make 160 whp. No ****ing way. You're 114 whp estimate is far more likely.
Old Jul 11, 2013 | 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed, with 2300 RPMs left to play with, 114-125 is a reasonable guesstimate.
Old Jul 12, 2013 | 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
There isn't a chance in hell it would make 160 whp. No ****ing way. You're 114 whp estimate is far more likely.
I just read this entire thread, and I threw up a little in my mouth every time i read one of your posts putting people back in their place when they got excited.

I dont agree there is no chance in hell of getting up around 160HP with that setup. A good tuner would get close, 160 would be high might be more like 140 - 150, but he said 114 - 160 as a range so it didn't really justify an "I know better than you" comment.

this from RPW website give me a little confidence -

http://www.rpw.com.au/index.php?opti...les&Itemid=562

given, that is at the hubs, but that car has no where near the mods that have been done to this car.

I have a dyno sheet in front of me showing 87.9kw (117.8hp) atw from 2008 with not much more than extractors, exhaust, 4g93 intake mani, K&N ram pod, a and a blue emanage, and thats not the highest numbers my car pulled with that setup, so there goes your 114hp max.

I have a dyno sheet somewhere showing 135hp on a hub dyno, while being tuned by RPW back in 2007

I have since got RPW cam, and switched to a Haltech PS1000.
I have had the exhaust re-done, hi-flow cat, switched out a broken malpassi fpr for a sard

My car is going into the shop soon to have the haltech tuned properly and I'll be happy when i can post a ~125whp dyno sheet for you.

shortly i'm also doing hi comp pistons 0.5mm oversized, lightweight rods, port & polish, stage 4 cam, all courtesy of LLT, so I'll be even happier to post my dyno sheet then showing you something closer to 140 - 150hp atw.

Oh and i put 3M 1080 series carbon fibre vinyl on my boonet, roof & boot, and a white mightycarmods.com sticker on the back so there is at another least 15kw!

Old Jul 12, 2013 | 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by king-of-fools
I just read this entire thread, and I threw up a little in my mouth every time i read one of your posts putting people back in their place when they got excited.

I dont agree there is no chance in hell of getting up around 160HP with that setup. A good tuner would get close, 160 would be high might be more like 140 - 150, but he said 114 - 160 as a range so it didn't really justify an "I know better than you" comment.

this from RPW website give me a little confidence -

http://www.rpw.com.au/index.php?opti...les&Itemid=562

given, that is at the hubs, but that car has no where near the mods that have been done to this car.

I have a dyno sheet in front of me showing 87.9kw (117.8hp) atw from 2008 with not much more than extractors, exhaust, 4g93 intake mani, K&N ram pod, a and a blue emanage, and thats not the highest numbers my car pulled with that setup, so there goes your 114hp max.

I have a dyno sheet somewhere showing 135hp on a hub dyno, while being tuned by RPW back in 2007

I have since got RPW cam, and switched to a Haltech PS1000.
I have had the exhaust re-done, hi-flow cat, switched out a broken malpassi fpr for a sard

My car is going into the shop soon to have the haltech tuned properly and I'll be happy when i can post a ~125whp dyno sheet for you.

shortly i'm also doing hi comp pistons 0.5mm oversized, lightweight rods, port & polish, stage 4 cam, all courtesy of LLT, so I'll be even happier to post my dyno sheet then showing you something closer to 140 - 150hp atw.

Oh and i put 3M 1080 series carbon fibre vinyl on my boonet, roof & boot, and a white mightycarmods.com sticker on the back so there is at another least 15kw!

He said 160 whp, not 160 HP. Even a 40 HP gain from bolt-on parts is going to be damn hard. You're going to need a lot of mods and aggressive mods at that. Do you have a baseline dyno? Unless you do, those numbers are meaningless.
Old Jul 15, 2013 | 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

I understand just a head swap alone won't do much. Completely. But the same 1.8 dohc guys in Taiwan are getting 200ish NA! Granted they have mivec, and stronger pistons and rods but NA is doable. I flat out refuse to believe the dohc does nothing.

Quick Reply: 4G93E (All-Motor) Build