Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Wanting to upgrade my Lancer, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to upgrade my Lancer, need opinions.

I have a 2009 Lancer GTS completely stock and have been toying with the idea of upgrading it a little bit. Any and all advice will be helpful since I'm not mechanically inclined. Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:07 PM

What are you looking to do? Performance mods? Want to change looks of the car?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:30 PM

^+1. Ask yourself what you want from the car since the Lancer by itself is already a great vehicle.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 07:30 PM

Also think about how much you can afford as modding can get very expensive.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:54 AM

I'd to do some performance upgrades as well as some small cosmestic upgrades. I'm not trying to do to much. Maybe exhaust, cold air intake, coilovers, and a window tint. I just don't really know what would be best on my model of lancer.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by checkthis5000
I'd to do some performance upgrades as well as some small cosmestic upgrades. I'm not trying to do to much. Maybe exhaust, cold air intake, coilovers, and a window tint. I just don't really know what would be best on my model of lancer.
Wel for perfomance the exhaust depends on the sound you looking for. I personally bought the GReddy SP Elite. It's new but it's the same thing as the SE without the burnt tip. As for CAI I love my K&N SRI. It's a simple install and sounds great. Also comes with a heat shield which is nice. And window tints are always nice. Can make the car look really nice. I got 20% all around and I think it's perfect but you get your preference obviously.

As for looks. Coil overs I can't help you with. Don't know to much about them. Was going to looking to getting a drop myself just haven't yet. Coil overs or springs. Not sure what's better. Depending on what kind of money you plan on spending I would get your rims painted and get the evo x hood. Makes the car look so much better.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 11:22 AM

Alright I'll take a look at that exhaust. I was curious where the cold air intake goes, as far into the wheel well or next to the engine? Thanks for the info though.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:25 PM

The SRI that I have is near the engine. CAI is near the wheel
Old Sep 9, 2011, 04:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SRI = Short Ram Intake. SRI intakes place the filter in the engine bay, usually pretty close to the OEM location.

CAI = Cold Air Intake. CAIs put the filter as far away from the heat of the engine as possible; usually in the bumper near one of the front wheels.

With a CAI, I always recommend at least a pre-filter, preferably in addition to an AEM bypass valve. With these accessories, you'll have no fear of hydrolock. The $50 for the bypass valve is a lot cheaper than a new/rebuilt engine.

Both intakes will change the sound of your engine. You'll be able to hear the engine breathe.

For the exhaust, any of the known brands will be a good choice. Stay away from cheap and/or "eBay" exhausts. They might look and sound good for a few thousand miles but the muffler will go bad a LOT sooner than a name brand muffler. I've seen 10 yr old GReddy exhausts that still sound great, and 10 month old eBay exhausts that are trash.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions. Vivid Racing can help you find anything you could want for your Lancer.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:19 AM

-Works Tune
-injen CAI
from what i read around that much wont work for our cars unless u put a exhaust system and headers on it and the works tune
Old Oct 7, 2011, 06:49 AM

On my 09 gts I added led's for head and tail lights, 3d carbon fiber vinyl wrap on front bumper, fuel door and some interior peices. Led's on footwells and started sound dampening the trunk. Cost so far around $150 for all that listed

Just got an injen cai which I have not yet installed