Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Saved up some money, now thinking about a GTS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saved up some money, now thinking about a GTS

I have saved up some cash and am selling my oz rally. i have about 18k. I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced any major problems with your GTS'. And also if you have any advice on if i should by an ES or the GTS.

Any information is appreciated
Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lloyd03oz
I have saved up some cash and am selling my oz rally. i have about 18k. I was just wondering if any of you guys have experienced any major problems with your GTS'. And also if you have any advice on if i should by an ES or the GTS.

Thanks
Ok, sorry to sound like every other guy on here but please, for your sake, get an evo. I say this because of experience. I bought my ES without to much knowledge about mitsu/lancer/evo. I liked the car at first because I went from a 10 mpg truck to a 40 mpg car. It was great bla bla. It handled great bla bla. Looked good bla bla. But its charm wore off after about a month, and then to make matters even worse I drove my friends X GSR. I had a bit of a boner, can't lie. It was the first turbo/supercharged car I had ever driven (yes I know the difference...). So I said to myself, "I'll just mod it bla bla", yea, bout that... There isn't to much you can do to these cars to get Evo like performance and handling.
Another example, I have a friend who just bought a GTS back in May, he's already disliking and considering trading in for an Evo...
Ultimatley you have to make the desicion but if you do decide to get a Lancer, get the manual tranny, AVOID CVT AT ALL COST.
SO... If you have 18k cash, put it towards a down payment on an Evo, just save yourself from the headache.
Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

I have a 2009 GTS

So far (47,xxx kms) I have 0 issues with the car, it's running great and I've loved every second of owning it
Old Sep 16, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

2009 lancer gts 64k miles 0 problems
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mshilto89
Ok, sorry to sound like every other guy on here but please, for your sake, get an evo.
Evos are expensive to buy, maintain, and insure. If the OP is looking for a car to own instead of one to make payments on the next 5 years, then I say more power to him.

It's nice to know some people live within their means
Old Sep 16, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

As mishilto was saying, the lancer is a complete dead end as far as tuning and upgrades go. I mean it's one hell of a struggle to even get 200hp out of it. The CVT transmission is very weak, so there's no chance of turbo. With a manual you can turbo, but only with relatively low boost and you're still risking the lifespan of your block because it's not meant for that much power. All the other bolt-ons and such are pretty much a waste of time when you consider their cost vs hp increase.

But maybe you're not looking for power, which is fine, just so long as you understand this is an economy car, and it's not going to be anything more than that lol. Many people buy lancers and are very displeased when they find out just how low the tuning ceiling is.

If you're just looking for a nice econo car, I can definitely recommend the GTS CVT. I've owned one for 55K and love the look, the gas mileage is decent enough, handles nice, and being able to switch between automatic and paddle shifters is nice. The only issue I've ever had is the compressor for the AC when out at about 45k miles, but I live in Vegas so I ran the hell out of the AC obviously and of course my warranty covered everything no prob. The ES is a decent car as well but the GTS looks so much better and has some nice packages.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by WangMan
Evos are expensive to buy, maintain, and insure. If the OP is looking for a car to own instead of one to make payments on the next 5 years, then I say more power to him.

It's nice to know some people live within their means
Thats exactly why i can't get an evo. Way to expensive to buy and insurance haha. I mainly just want to buy a newer lancer with less miles and is manual. i'm just looking to put on an exhaust, new intake, headers, and some tint. Nothing special. Just to have some fun on the high way with some other ricers hahaha not going to be hitting the track so i don't really have any worries about having a ton of power.

But most people agree buy a GTS instead of the ES?
Old Sep 17, 2011, 01:52 AM

I have an 09 gts. 55,000k and no major problems. I liked the gts because the 2.4l engine didnt sound like a chainsaw like the first 2.0l de i drove. Also heated seats ect. you can play around with some basic mods which can keep you busy.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lloyd03oz

Thanks
if I had to do it all over again, I would / should have bought a DE. the cost savings would have meant, I could have upgraded my car how I saw fit.

There is very little different between the GTS and DE. only exception is the brakes, in Canada the DE still has 4 disk brakes, in the USA you have a drum. Still a conversion isnt all the difficult.

My main point is, getting a GTS is expensive and in that case your better off getting a ralliart. EVO is you can swing it. But I personally think that Mitsubishi is wasting its time with the GTS and all the stuff in between.

They should stream line the line with a DE, SE then the Ralliart replacing the GTS.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 06:24 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
36Kish, no problems here. I have the CVT and like it, although it's all down to personal preference there.

I really like how the GTS is set up and opted for it over the ES because of the bigger engine (the 2.0 was noticeably more sluggish to me), bigger wheels (they looked nicer, though I must admit I'm not looking forward to replacing 18" tires all around) and four-wheel disc brakes. Well, that and it was the red one on the lot. I don't do much to my cars, so having most of the stuff I wanted out of the box--decent enough power, decent handling, disc brakes that are easier to deal with, I liked the looks of it, etc.--was a big deal to me.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 03:49 AM

ive got a 2010 gts. 21xxx. no issues at all. but im gonna take a hit and trade it in for an evo. you'll like the gts but youll keep wanting more. save yourself the trouble and just get an evo, or even a ralliart. but if you really dont want the awd and turbo get the gts. or even wait til the 2012 year comes out and theyre awd too. hope that helps
Old Oct 2, 2011, 05:46 AM

For me...the GTS worked out perfectly. I bought the car for looks, cost and mild performance. My daughter likes it. She will inherit the car in 3 years and at that time i will get another car.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:11 AM

Id say get the GTS if your tied with money if not, save a lil more for the evo!
Old Nov 5, 2011, 01:06 PM

I Have a 08 Lancer GTS and i love it. Everyone is right tho there arent a whole lot of mods that you can do and 200 hp is really really hard to get but if your just looking for a nice car to take care of and to sport around a bit in go for it. I like all cars in general (for the most part) and as long as you got that on your side you can love a GTS. Besides an exhaust, headers and other bolt ons should keep you busy. Chances of beating a STI never, WRX Never, Evo Never, etc never lol. Si possibly, Cobalt yes. lol
Old Nov 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

hey man, i dont have a gts or DE so take my advice with a grain of salt. naturally, the first thing i would say is save for the evo, but after reading your post it seems that you have no use for that since it will not be modded, a DD, and highway cruiser. like someone else said, glad to see someone making a smart purchase based on needs and not what everyone else wants/has.

i am not sure how big of a difference there is in price, but if you can, i would save get the ralliart. i am not an evo snob and i think the lancers are great cars. I recently rode in a buddies rotor glow ralliart and was BEYOND impressed. tranny shifted smooth as silk, comfortable for long drive, good mpg, quick, and just an all around fun fun fun car.

if not that, and you dont feel like upgrading the brakes as someone above said, i think the gts is a good way to go. looks great, fun car, and sounds awesome with an intake and exhaust. gl with w/e route you choose!

Quick Reply: Saved up some money, now thinking about a GTS