Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Kamikaze Header

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bump dammit
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by IILANCERII02
I've kind of come to the conclusion modding your lancer is kind of a mute point, im pissed that i've wasted like 1000$ on bolt - ons when i could just saved up a little more went turbo and have a fast time, instead of spending 1,000$ and still have a .5 second better time ...
Dude that's WAY too pessimistic... I've spent about 500 on bolt ons as far as the engine goes and the car is a lot faster (intake, header, catback)

I've put about 2G's into the suspension and that has paid off amazingly... another 2G's will be going in the car suspension and then that will be maxed out... The fact is I can outhandle and outrace a lot of cars now on Auto-x which is all about handling and good driving.

But anyway. on topic again...

That hissing noise I have no idea on. See if you can get it to do it at a different time or repeat it some way. My best guess would be you have a leaking gasket. So check at the block, at the DP, and at the catalytic. (maybe the flex joint too) and see if there is any air leaking while it idles. If it's cold out it's easy to see . Otherwise you'll need to put your hand nearby or something. Basically check for a leak... there shouldn't be anything else that would change sounds after a header. Spend some time poking around.. if all else fails... take it to the place that installed it.. or worst case to the dealer (although if it something with the header the dealer will charge you.. if it is not something with the header they will have to do it under warranty).
Old Jan 27, 2004, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am almost %99 sure that you have a exhaust leake. I mean what else could it be. If you used the stock gaskets that is why. just go buy some new gaskets and you be good to go. the best brand is Mr. gasket. if you have bought new gaskets, just put a pipe at the and of you rench and try tightening them more. but make sure don't put too much pressure on them or you'll brake the **** and that is when your in trouble.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

well the kamikaze came with one gasket, it looked bronze. other than that i they put everything back the way it was. the hissing only happens when its about to change gears. well, its at the shop right now and i told them it might be a leak or the gaskets, so thanks for all the info guys.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

kamikaze comes with a copper gasket that goes between the dp and the header. You need/should replace the copper/fiberglass/crap whatever one between the dp and the catalytic. I got a leak there too... took it to the shop and they replaced the gasket and altered the hangers... and I was/am golden.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

well guess what. it turns out that the flex pipe is whats making the whistle. took it to a better shop and he didnt even have to look at it. he said the flez pipe tends to make a whistling sound at higher rpm's. so im hoping i could put the stock downpipe back on and keep the kamikaze header on too????
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think the stock downpipe will fit... and keep in mind the stock downpipe has a flex joint as well. So you may still have the same problem. It's likely that you are getting it because of the greater volume/velocity etc.

The other thing too is that after about 1K or better the pipes "break in" and quiet up a lot... after the carbon gets into everything the whistle will probably go away. No one else has had this complaint... sooooo
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem, i dont know how many miles are on the header and DP because i bought them used, but in about 500 miles it will be 1,000 from my car, so, i guess i will wait till then.

Like you said, it only makes the noise when it changes gears, at first i thought it was the muffler, got a new muffler, no differnce just a differnt type of tone i think now.

I think alot of people might have this problem just a lot of them dont know or notice it like we do perhaps.

I also had the headers installed professionaly and used new gaskets.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Never have or hear that problem... and I'm picky about exhaust tone etc... but I have a manual.. I'm surprised it'd be different between the transmissions.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

ya i also have an automatic, could ahve something to do with that.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

It's not like the engine is "different" so why would the exhaust produce difference.. but yeah the fact that you both notice it and both have auto's is a WEE bit suspicious.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

it really is, i was going to say, maybe were in the same "area" but were in totalyl differnt spots of the coutnry with differnt temps and such, so that cant be it.

Me personally i noticed it after the test pipe, maybe its not bolted on hard enough?

THen after the headers, i noticed it after the shift right above 3,000 rpms, and then also at the redinline, as with only the test pipe i noticed it only at redline.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

well, thanks for all the advice. im gonna go ahead and sit it out. im leaving the donwpipe in and letting it break in. it sux though cuz that sound is soooo ricy. i dont wanna be mistaken for a honda.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

lol i know how u feel, i wish we could both get some sound clips and compare our sides because then maybe we could find out if we each have a leak, because i feel as though i might have one as well.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

got my kamikaze! it sounds great and aggressive, i havent tested it yet to see if it really does make a difference as far as gains, coz ive been slipping like crazy due to snow. But people who drove my car felt the difference. So its a thumbs up to kamikaze.

Quick Reply: Kamikaze Header